What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Apple wood for the ribs is my recomendation. Sometimes I mix bourbon and apple juice in a spritzer bottle to spritz the ribs while on the WSM. Don't know if it adds flavor, but it smells nice. And an internet search will turn up many easy-to-make BBQ sauces incorporating bourbon. A quick BBQ sauce is to reduce 1/2 cup of bourbon down to less than 1/4 cup and add to your favorite store bought sauce.

Apple wood for the ribs is my recomendation. Sometimes I mix bourbon and apple juice in a spritzer bottle to spritz the ribs while on the WSM. Don't know if it adds flavor, but it smells nice. And an internet search will turn up many easy-to-make BBQ sauces incorporating bourbon. A quick BBQ sauce is to reduce 1/2 cup of bourbon down to less than 1/4 cup and add to your favorite store bought sauce.

Thanks for the tip. Applewood it is. I have a go-to rub that I may go with on one slab, and get experimental on the other.

Thanks for the tip. Applewood it is. I have a go-to rub that I may go with on one slab, and get experimental on the other.

If your using a WSM I'd stay away from mesqite for smoking as there is just not enough air flow in and out to prevent bitterness from creeping in. Much better for direct grilling.

I'm smoking 2 pork butts for the first run on my new 22 inch WSM and yes it ran a bit hot the first 2 hours (up to 300) but now got it chugging away at 260. Due to the WSM being unseasoned I'm using a full water pan and shade from a patio table umbrella too. The butts are for my cousin's party tomorrow so for dinner I'm going to do a small Rib Eye roast on a direct cook (no pan at all) with my old 18.5 inch WSM.

Hi folks. I got a DPP Fat 50 smoker. My cooking got much better the day I got that smoker. I just smoked 70 pounds of pork butts for my nephew's graduation party two weeks ago. I also did two racks of St. Louis ribs (I also use the Johnny Trigg method) and some ABT's. I got tons of compliments on the pulled pork. I used a few techniques that I learned at a bbq cooking class that I attended last year and my pulled pork has certainly taken a few steps forward. I have been pleased with the results.

I'm new here so I will try to post some pics and see how they post.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13724[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13725[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13726[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13727[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13728[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13729[/ATTACH]

Looks excellent ! Great job.

• 5 weeks later...

Cooked up several pounds of short ribs on the BGE yesterday (Sunday). Rubbed, hickory-smoked for a couple of hours and then slow-cooked another 3 hours in beef broth and bourbon (Old Fitzgerald 1849). Finished with a bourbon and honey glaze made with the juices from the ribs. Cook short ribs long enough at a low temp and they melt in your mouth!

steeltownbbq, I hope you don't mind me asking this question - when you reheat pulled pork in an electric roaster, what moisture (if any) and how much do you add to the pulled pork?

Since you asked...last Saturday cooked 10 pork butts, a pan of beans and a couple of racks of ribs for the help. Didn't take any pictures

Cooked for a small party Sat nite and a large one next week when I'm scheduled to work and some extra for the freezer. Pulled the pork, vacuum packed and quick cooled in ice bath and put in freezer. It will reheat in an electric roaster and taste like it just came off of the fire.

Here are some pics of my recent cook. My brother was visiting from Kentucky and I had to repay him for delivering some bourbon to me that I can't find in Michigan. I smoked a couple butts, an 8 pound brisket, three racks of ribs and some ABTs.

post-8680-1448981811395_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818114187_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818114298_thumb.jpg

post-8680-1448981811407_thumb.jpg

I just had my birthday last week and my big present was a large Big Green Egg. All I can say so far is, Wow! The first evening, I grilled chicken breasts. They came out crispy and brown on the outside, but they were juicy and tender on the inside. The next day, I slow cooked beef ribs with a spicy steak rub made by my youngest son from one of Stephen Raichlen's recipes. The next day I slow roasted a cured picnic that had been injected with maple syrup. This evening, I plan to do my first burgers.

Again, wow! I am beginning to wonder if my trusty old CharBroil will ever be lit again.

Tim

For the first time in 2 yrs, I decided to do some baby backs tonight. Sometimes, life gets in the way and you forget the simple things that are so good. My 28 yr old son will be joining me. Not sure if it will be a bourbon or beer evening, either way, I can't lose.

And of course, late summer brings an abundance of local sweet corn. Sometimes its good to be a midwesterner.

I tried a new technique, yesterday. The recipe is from Weber but I did it in my new Big Green Egg.

I had four large boneless pork chops, about 2" thick. I made a brine solution of 2 C water, 3 T Kosher salt, and 1 T sugar. Brined the chops for about 2 hours. Dried them with paper towels, then rubbed them with freshly ground black pepper and rosemary leaves.

I set up the BGE for direct grilling and 400 deg F. Cooked the chops for 12 minutes per side with the lid closed. They were ever so slightly overcooked, but man, thay tasted really good.

Tim

I tried a new technique, yesterday. The recipe is from Weber but I did it in my new Big Green Egg.

I had four large boneless pork chops, about 2" thick. I made a brine solution of 2 C water, 3 T Kosher salt, and 1 T sugar. Brined the chops for about 2 hours. Dried them with paper towels, then rubbed them with freshly ground black pepper and rosemary leaves.

I set up the BGE for direct grilling and 400 deg F. Cooked the chops for 12 minutes per side with the lid closed. They were ever so slightly overcooked, but man, thay tasted really good.

Tim

I know this is a thread about smoking but I also grilled pork chops last week that were the hit of my party. These were the thin bone in loin chops you get at Sams Club. I brined them for 2 hours in 2Q of water, 1/2C kosher salt, 1/2C molasses, and about 2T of black peppercorns. I rinsed them off patted them dry and grilled on my gas grill for about 3 minutes a side. They came out juicy and tender. One of these days I am going to spring for a BGE myself and add it to the rest of my outdoor cooking lineup. I am sure it will make my wife happy, not.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the rain today, i am just finishing up a couple racks of ribs and a bluefish filet. Looking and smelling good.

I tried a 5-lb fresh pork picnic on the Egg. My seasonings and sauce were huge successes, but my cooking was a failure. I tried to go "low and slow", but I didn't cook it long enough. I had to finish it off in the microwave after slicing it and deciding it was too raw to eat.

My dry rub was simple and wonderful. 1/3 cup Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard.

My sauce was "Almost Dreamland", a recipe I found on the web to emulate the sauce of the famous Dreamland rib place in Tuscaloosa, AL. The flavor came very close, but the balance was way too acidic. After the initial use, I added more sugar and more dark Karo syrup, cooked it a little more, and then it was just about perfect. The recipe is about a third of the way down this page: http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-3.html#9.4

Tim

I know this is a thread about smoking but I also grilled pork chops last week that were the hit of my party. These were the thin bone in loin chops you get at Sams Club. I brined them for 2 hours in 2Q of water, 1/2C kosher salt, 1/2C molasses, and about 2T of black peppercorns. I rinsed them off patted them dry and grilled on my gas grill for about 3 minutes a side. They came out juicy and tender.

steeltownbbq, I hope you don't mind me asking this question - when you reheat pulled pork in an electric roaster, what moisture (if any) and how much do you add to the pulled pork?

Smoker report: modified my smoker to a run charcoal for grilling and cooked 100 + steaks for a large party. I have never grilled that quantity before, and all I could think was "I hope I don't screw up - they paid a lot of $$$ for this meat"

Came out OK - when I pulled out there were about 6 steaks left

Many thanks to all you guys on here for making me drool which finally pushed me to give this a shot for myself. I spent hours obsessing over Meathead's fantastic amazingribs.com site, and felt like it I might could make it work. With only a weber kettle, hover grill, and smokernator, it was time to smoke some butts. I must admit I got pretty cocky for my first smoke and committed to making pulled pork for a party of 40. Yikes, what am I getting myself in to? I got 25lbs of butts, and I had to rig the hell out of the weber to make it all fit, but success! The weber and smokernator did great, and I was able to keep 200-250 for a solid 13 hour run. Made it through the "stall" and got them up to 190. WOWOWOW. SO GOOD. I gotta do this more often!!!

post-2056-14489818184281_thumb.jpg

post-2056-14489818184809_thumb.jpg

I'm a fan -- of Meathead, and the Smokenator. I find it easier to keep the temp consistent on my 27" Weber than on my 22", though. I think it might be like keeping an aquarium that way -- the more volume you have to work with, the harder it is to screw things up!

Many thanks to all you guys on here for making me drool which finally pushed me to give this a shot for myself. I spent hours obsessing over Meathead's fantastic amazingribs.com site, and felt like it I might could make it work. With only a weber kettle, hover grill, and smokernator, it was time to smoke some butts. I must admit I got pretty cocky for my first smoke and committed to making pulled pork for a party of 40. Yikes, what am I getting myself in to? I got 25lbs of butts, and I had to rig the hell out of the weber to make it all fit, but success! The weber and smokernator did great, and I was able to keep 200-250 for a solid 13 hour run. Made it through the "stall" and got them up to 190. WOWOWOW. SO GOOD. I gotta do this more often!!!

I'm a fan -- of Meathead, and the Smokenator. I find it easier to keep the temp consistent on my 27" Weber than on my 22", though. I think it might be like keeping an aquarium that way -- the more volume you have to work with, the harder it is to screw things up!

Meathead is my neighbor and a very cool guy to drink beer with and shoot the shit over some BBQ. That boy knows his stuff!

Meathead is my neighbor and a very cool guy to drink beer with and shoot the shit over some BBQ. That boy knows his stuff!

Yeah, I've read that while some think the 22" Weber (what I have) works good, you have to spend a lot of time tending it. I wouldn't know as I've never done it any other way, but it didn't seem too bad to me. Early in the morning required more coals, but in the afternoon with the sun on the weber, I had a couple of nice long runs that lasted for 3-4 hours at a time.

If you see him anytime soon, tell him I said thanks!! While I am by no means an expert, his site helped me have a very successful first smoke.

Three racks of baby back ribs going on the 27" Weber with Smokenator for what looks like it will end up being an indoor Q this afternoon. Five pounds of wings and 20 or so cheese-stuffed jalapenos will join in later.

Bit of a fail -- for $1.88/pound, I should've expected that these mutant ribs (one rack was the full length of my kettle, 27 inches) would pose some issues. I could not get the dang membranes off, so for the first time in years I smoked them with them on. Made for rough and chewy and fatty ribs. Blech. (In hindsight, I should've scored the thing to help render some of the fat, at least.)

Good thing the wings, poppers, pizzas and shrimp were good so my crowd foregave me....

Three racks of baby back ribs going on the 27" Weber with Smokenator for what looks like it will end up being an indoor Q this afternoon. Five pounds of wings and 20 or so cheese-stuffed jalapenos will join in later.

I know this is a thread about smoking but I also grilled pork chops last week that were the hit of my party. These were the thin bone in loin chops you get at Sams Club. I brined them for 2 hours in 2Q of water, 1/2C kosher salt, 1/2C molasses, and about 2T of black peppercorns. I rinsed them off patted them dry and grilled on my gas grill for about 3 minutes a side. They came out juicy and tender. One of these days I am going to spring for a BGE myself and add it to the rest of my outdoor cooking lineup. I am sure it will make my wife happy, not.

Did your brining yesterday for two hours before grilling the thin cut Sam's Club porkchops. They cooked up quickly (about 4-5 minutes a side) and then we cut the bones away to make porkchop sandwiches with a bit of BBQ sauce and freshly-made coleslaw on top. Juicy and delicious, as you said. Everybody loved 'em!