What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

My wife and I just bought our son and DIL a present. The pic below shows it in use.

That's an Aussie BBQ Joe :D

Tried some chicken thighs and pork tenderloins yesterday, half rubbed BBQ style,mother other half with olive oil, garlic, and herbs. Damn, did they take the smoke fast! Turned out good, though, just a little smoke heavy. Good leftovers ready for a busy week.

Slow start to the smoking season -- smoked an already smoked ham and a mess of wings two weekends ago for a family gathering. Was struck again by the way in which tending to the "pit" (a Weber with a Smokenator) for hours desensitizes me to the smoky flavor of the food the day of the smoke. But then when I reheat 'em, the smoke alarm practically goes off and the house smells like magic. :grin:

More wings and some baby backs on tap for this weekend.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get my first smoke in this year. Michigan has had a nasty cold and wet spring so far so there hasn't been a good opportunity to smoke until tomorrow.

I'm going to smoke two 8 pound butts, a 4 pound brisket flat, some boneless chicken breasts for the kids and some ABTs.

I'm also looking forward to making some homemade bbq sauce. I'm going to get my three kids to help me. I have never spent any time attempting to make my own sauce because there are too many good sauces out there - it's just too easy to purchase them rather than make the effort to whip one up myself. But I went to a bbq joint a month ago and they made a bbq sauce that used Kona coffee grounds. It was the best bbq sauce I ever had. I found this coffee bourbon bbq sauce recipe - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/baby-back-ribs-with-coffee-bourbon-barbecue-sauce-recipe/index.html. I'm going to follow the exact recipe and then I'll tweak future batches for my own taste.

I'll do my best to take pics.

Was struck again by the way in which tending to the "pit" (a Weber with a Smokenator) for hours desensitizes me to the smoky flavor of the food the day of the smoke.
I have the same problem.

Simple homemade sauce with a little of Kentucky's finest.

1 1/4 cup ketchup

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup bourbon of choice

1/3 cup honey

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Lots of freshly cracked pepper to taste

Bring ingredients to a boil while stirring frequently then turn down to simmer for 15 minutes. Keeps in fridge for several weeks. I like to put it on ribs or chicken thighs for about 10 minutes at the end of my cooks to set the sauce.

I would probably never smoke a pizza, I like cooking pizza in a super hot oven or modified grill for a couple of minutes as opposed to up to an hour at 250 degrees. That being said if I were to try to smoke a pizza I would probably use a fruit tree wood, apple, cherry, or pecan.

I have couple of friends who own Traegers. They seem to do a good job of temperature control, the pellets can be kind of pricey. They are for the set it and forget king of people, I like to fuss with my stick burner while I am smoking.

Thanks for the info! I guess you could do the grillin smoke option.....having some pre-soaked chips in the container.

My brother sent me this so blame him.

post-9455-144898189409_thumb.jpg

It does have Whiskey in it..........so that makes it healthy.

I did it and could not believe how good (bad for you) it is. A close friend prepared itand after stated "take the receipe to a pool of calm water, throw it in, if its ever needed, it will rise again".

http://bacontoday.com/whiskey-maple-glazed-slab-bacon/

post-9455-144898189409_thumb.jpg

Maybe the Lady of the Lake will throw back out!

Actually, it looks like it could be a nice appetizer.

"The glaze has pineapple, maple syrup, Irish whiskey, red wine vinegar and cayenne paper. " I think a bourbon would work better.

I used Bourbon, poured it out of my Whiskey glass that's from Canada, designed in Scotland...................................................

post-8610-14489818979338_thumb.jpg

8.4 lb Butt. Going to be served at a Derby Party tomorrow.

Been on for 2 hours now, grate temp has been pretty constant at 225-230, and we're up to about 100 degrees. About to snooze on the couch, looking forward to tomorrow.

post-8610-14489818978758_thumb.jpg

This week I have been curing wild duck, wild goose, and wild turkey breasts. The duck and goose is in a corning cure like what would be used to make corned beef. The wild turkey breast has a little sweeter cure with a little garlic too. I will smoke these tasty treats tomorrow with apple wood. The duck and goose breasts will be coated with garlic and pepper and after being smoked will be a type of pastrami.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15304[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15305[/ATTACH]

8.4 lb Butt. Going to be served at a Derby Party tomorrow.

Been on for 2 hours now, grate temp has been pretty constant at 225-230, and we're up to about 100 degrees. About to snooze on the couch, looking forward to tomorrow.

Boy, this butt was a marathon, 20 hours to get to temp, but it can out excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW Smokers, grillers, and BBQers, Home Depot has a sale going on with Kingsford Charcoal. (2) 20 lb bags for $9.88. I believe that is a really good deal, and worthy enough to stock up on.

Lowe's has a similar deal at $9.99 for the 2 bags.

BTW Smokers, grillers, and BBQers, Home Depot has a sale going on with Kingsford Charcoal. (2) 20 lb bags for $9.88. I believe that is a really good deal, and worthy enough to stock up on.

Thanks Joe. This is the stock up time of the year.

Now we're starting a scare by bunkering charcoal...........................thanks for the heads up, that is a decent price.

Thanks for the heads up, Joe. I will be sure to get some this weekend.

Making my first spare ribs of the season.

Made a homemade dry rub & East Carolina moppin' sauce.

Also made some simple syrup for the cocktails.

So unfair...my Big Green Egg arrived at 5 pm yesterday. And all of our plans today and tomorrow are away from home. So I'll have to wait 'til Monday to break it in with some St. Louis cut spareribs.... #WPP

Just prepped a Brisket with some Dizzy Pig Cow Lick that will go the Cookshack tonight around 11pm or so :)

Doing a pork loin with ginger, lime, garlic, five spice, bourbon smoked sea salt, brown sugar, ground Thai chilies and Hungarian paprika. Went full-on with the seasoning, we'll see how it turns out. About another hour left

Whole chicken this morning, smoked short ribs for dinner and just dropped a pork shoulder in the egg. That one will be lunch tomorrow after an all night hickory smoke. And some FR SMB 2012 to keep me company :grin: