What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

This is my first post here and my second time I did a smoke beef ribs with my hack up smoking rig.

I always love BBQ beef ribs and always had to have it every time I go to Texas. So I was thrill this came out perfect.

See image of the monster ribs and the nice smoke ring. I am so happy to be able to do this. And I didn't have to buy a smoker which I was contemplating just a couple of days ago.

Dry rub, smoke 4-5 hours then finish with bourbon based BBQ sauce and another 30 minutes of low and slow.

a8evybes.jpg

upu6evu7.jpg

Cheers

Hugh

Edited by tigerlam92

Nice smoke ring!

I do a lot of grilling and fire stuff (even roasted two pigs in a backyard before) but this is the first smoke ring I got from smoking at home myself. :)

Thanks

Very nice---i like the 2-zone setup.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Just plain old burgers. Although they were ground chuck instead of our usual ground sirloin. A little fat adds flavor. Of course, everything tastes better when you grill it while drinking bourbon.

I agree with Squire, although I find a very cold beer is almost as good.

To Tiger, your first smoke ring is always the one that gets you the most excited, but now you'll try to get deeper and deeper smoke rings. It's just the way it goes.

This is my first post here and my second time I did a smoke beef ribs with my hack up smoking rig.

I always love BBQ beef ribs and always had to have it every time I go to Texas. So I was thrill this came out perfect.

See image of the monster ribs and the nice smoke ring. I am so happy to be able to do this. And I didn't have to buy a smoker which I was contemplating just a couple of days ago.

Dry rub, smoke 4-5 hours then finish with bourbon based BBQ sauce and another 30 minutes of low and slow.

Cheers

Hugh

Those are some beautiful looking beef ribs Hugh. Very difficult to find in these parts. You got me both jealous and hungry :grin:.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bourbon Boilerviewpost-right.pngHas anyone ever played around with pipe tobacco on the wood at the end to flavor the smoke? A co-worker asked me about this the other day and I'd never heard of it.

As the fictional character Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy said, "that idea has promise."

Sweet! I was going to try it last week, but I didn't have any baccy on hand and there wasn't time to go to the store.

Hey guys. Still hoping to hear what thermometers you recommend for the smoker and your meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I could afford it, I'd have a Maverick ET-732. Because I can't, I used a laboratory thermometer to verify a thermometer taken off a junked gas grill, and I use one of those little (quarter sized at best) dial thermometers for the internal temp. I verified that one with room temp and boiling water.

Did four pounds of chicken wings for a small family gathering today. Pretty basic -- I toss the wings in some "wok oil" (for garlic and sesame flavor), then dump in some of my basic BBQ rub and shake 'til coated. Ran them in the Smokenator on the 27" Weber for a touch over two hours. Dang tasty as always, yep.

Outside of the Q realm...wife and I made a few small pizzas on the BGE at 700+ degrees last night. Pizza stone broke in two pieces under the stress of the heat. I'd been warned that not just any stone could take the kind of heat that the Egg generates, and this confirmed it. Better last night then some time when we're feeding a crowd -- time to buy a new, higher quality pizza stone.

Sounds tasty. I smoked baby backs on the smoker today; it was a practice run for the family get-together on the 4th of July. They came out alright, but I'm going to do a couple things differently on the 4th.

A couple racks of St. Louis ribs yesterday, despite intermittent rain that started just as the fire got ready. And for unclebunk, I use a Maverick EC-732 for smoker temp and food temp for big chunks o meat, and a Thermoworks RT600N-C instant read for just about everything.

Lart night was those "country ribs" for me. I brined them for an hour, dry rubbed with Tony Chachere's, and roasted for an hour at 300 F (direct heat) in the Big Green Egg with hickory chunks added. Slathered with Stubbs sauce in the last minutes. They were some of the best I've made.

Tim

If I could afford it, I'd have a Maverick ET-732. Because I can't, I used a laboratory thermometer to verify a thermometer taken off a junked gas grill, and I use one of those little (quarter sized at best) dial thermometers for the internal temp. I verified that one with room temp and boiling water.

Honestly, the Thermoworks changed-and improved-the way I cook everything; grill and kitchen.

Got a few hours before the rain rolls in and stays for about a week, so going to put some short ribs on here in short order.

ETA: Oh, and as it relates to bourbon, there is bourbon sugar in the rub, being smoked w barrel char, and prob whip up a bourbon BBQ sauce to go with.

Edited by MyOldKyDram

Got a few hours before the rain rolls in and stays for about a week, so going to put some short ribs on here in short order.

ETA: Oh, and as it relates to bourbon, there is bourbon sugar in the rub, being smoked w barrel char, and prob whip up a bourbon BBQ sauce to go with.

do you sprinkle the char right on the coals?

Sure you could, but I just use a smoker box for it. Smells so damned good.

Looks good,and where were these skills during the Sampler?Scott and Thad slaved away and I well.....drank a lot of beer.