What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

I made some great pork chops. Started with the big, thick, boneless ones from Costco. Brined them with Kosher salt and sugar for an hour. Dried them and dry rubbed with Stubbs BBQ Rub. Added a large hickory chunk to the lump charcoal fire and seared for 16 minutes at about 400 F.

Made a sauce of 1 1/2 T melted butter, 3 oz of Rub Some Butt sauce (a commercial sweet mustard sauce), and 2 oz apple cider. Wrapped the chops in heavy duty foil with this sauce and roasted for about 40 minutes at about 350 F.

I hate to say it, but these were some of the best chops I have ever tasted. ;)

Tim

Dang the butt and brisket both turned out perfect -- shame our guests won't be here for another three hours! #TimingBBQaintEasy

A whole chicken (4 1/2 lbs) on the Big Green Egg last night. Upright with one of those wire stools up its butt. Indirect heat at 350 F for 1 hr 45 min. A hickory chunk on the fire. Damn, I am getting good at this.

Tim

The Big Green Egg and a Thermapen thermometer have made me an amazing cook. I've been on a roll -can't fail.

This is after over 40 yrs of mishaps.

The Big Green Egg and a Thermapen thermometer have made me an amazing cook. I've been on a roll -can't fail.

This is after over 40 yrs of mishaps.

Wow. I better go buy one of those things.

Tim did you use a rub on that?

Yes. I used a mixed rub of half McCormick's Montreal Seasoning for Chicken and half Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. Inside the chicken and outside.

@Troyce - I don't even have a ThermoPen. I just follow the instructions (often from Steven Raichlen's books) and most things still come out perfect.

Tim

I've tried some new things on the smoker myself recently. The first one that turned out really well were duck leg quarters. They're not as meaty as the breasts but much cheaper. I brined them and then rubbed them with a Rogan Josh curry powder. I then scored the skin and smoked them skin side down over a mix of apple and mesquite. They turned out really great. Even my wife who doesn't normally like duck thought they were great.

The other notable new (to me) smoker material was a tri-tip roast. I rubbed it with cajun seasoning and Ancho chili powder and then smoked it over mesquite for 6-7 hours I think. I then stuck in in the fridge for a couple days. Then yesterday I got it up to room temp and then seared it in a steel pan all around. Turned out great. Perfectly Medium rare on the inside with a nice crust on the outside. Served it with home made blue potato fries. It was a great meal and I even have some left over for a sandwich today!

@josh, I have heard a lot about the tri-tips, but I have yet to see one. I don't go to a lot of stores, but I do go to a fairly "high end" store. Maybe I should ask them about it again.

Tim

It's a Cali thing. I believe it's from the sirloin but back this way they cut it into different pieces. I've done them before and it can be a delicious cut and pretty forgiving to work with. If you've got a good butcher they can cut it for you or order it. Give it a shot.

Edit: if you get one google "Santa Maria Tri-Tip" for cooking tips.

@josh, I have heard a lot about the tri-tips, but I have yet to see one. I don't go to a lot of stores, but I do go to a fairly "high end" store. Maybe I should ask them about it again.

Tim

Left the BGE in the garage today and opted instead to use a Weber-Smokenator combo to do up some baby backs. Three hours in, they're looking great....

• 1 month later...

Bourbon=FR 2013 1B LE

Food= boneless pork tenderloin slathered in spicy mustard and coated with Weber BBQ rub

Fire=weeknight so seared then roasted on the Genesis.

• 1 month later...

2enymyda.jpg

Pulled the egg out for a frenched rack of lamb. Used a Dijon mustard based spread of garlic, salt, pepper, and rosemary to coat the rack. Got the egg up to temp, seared all sides and pulled the rack. Got the egg to indirect temp of 400 and roasted the rack to 130 internal temp. Rested for 5 minutes. Perfect Med Rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just discovered this thread and lovin it, might motivate me to finally get a kamado style cooker.

I have been makin do with a combo spit/charcoal grill that Ive retrofitted with a lid to make a basic smoker, works well enough for simple stuff.

Smoked up some homegrown cherry tomatoes and oysters on the weekend over a combination of rosemary and redgum. Cooked the tomatoes indirectly for about half an hour before throwing the soaked wood/rosemary on along with the oysters for 10mins of smoking. Served up on rye bread with a splash or extravirgin olive oil and a glass of sherry. Tomatoes were great, almost whisky like!

Tim

My local butcher sells tri-tips, and he marinates them in a "black nugget" marinade. I sear them on my grill (4-5 min. on each side), and then toss it on the other side of the grill away from the flame for about 20 min. This is a great tasting piece of meat. I never thought to try it on my smoker though. Thanks for the idea!

• 4 weeks later...

Two turkeys, one from yesterday turned out great and one smoking now in the Camp Chef Vault.

I did use a marinade, then injection and finally on the Camp Chef roaster while smoking to get internal to 145C. At the party, a final 45 min at 400C with skin buttered to heat and crisp before serving.

Did the thanksgiving turkey in the smoker as usual. Brined it for about 12 hours first. Also did a bacon explosion in the smoker.

We salted ("dry brined") our 14-pound fresh bird and then smoke roasted it on the BGE with pecan wood during our Saturday T-giving celebration. Also did a five-pound beef tenderloin on the Weber kettle with rotisserie. Both turned out great. Much better grilling weather in the Chicago area then if we'd had the family over on the actual holiday.

• 6 months later...

Was reading through some of the posts looking for some inspiration, saw the tri tip discussion and decided to have a go. Headed over to trader joes grabbed 2 smaller roasts. Did one with garlic salt and black pepper, the other with a dizzy dust beef rub. BGE with some pecan and mesquite smoke. Reverse sear method, indirect 250, pulled them at 125 internal, wrapped in foil while the grill got hot for a direct sear. About 2 minutes a side direct after ter the fire got going.

Overall, very impressed, very flavorful cut of meat. Garlic salt and pepper won out over the rub, but both were great. I'd recommend trying one if you haven't.

Was reading through some of the posts looking for some inspiration, saw the tri tip discussion and decided to have a go. Headed over to trader joes grabbed 2 smaller roasts. Did one with garlic salt and black pepper, the other with a dizzy dust beef rub. BGE with some pecan and mesquite smoke. Reverse sear method, indirect 250, pulled them at 125 internal, wrapped in foil while the grill got hot for a direct sear. About 2 minutes a side direct after ter the fire got going.

Overall, very impressed, very flavorful cut of meat. Garlic salt and pepper won out over the rub, but both were great. I'd recommend trying one if you haven't.

Good to hear they turned out well!

I know the "seal in the juices" theory of early sear has been debunked, but I just can't bring myself to do the reverse sear. Got to get over the fear and just do it.

Think I'm going to try this. But why pecan? Where do you find it?

And TJ's meat frightens me so your positive experience does help.