What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

I know the "seal in the juices" theory of early sear has been debunked, but I just can't bring myself to do the reverse sear. Got to get over the fear and just do it.

Think I'm going to try this. But why pecan? Where do you find it?

And TJ's meat frightens me so your positive experience does help.

Pecan burns a little cooler and adds a similar fruity flavor without the sweetness like apple or cherry in my opinion. It works really well with poultry, fish, and it did pretty well on the beef when mixed with the mesquite. I get chunks of it at the local ace hardware.

As for Trader Joes, I don't shop there often, never really bought meat there before either, but the tri tip in the south isn't exactly a popular cut like it is out west, so it was the only place local that I had a reasonable guarantee they would have them in stock. That being said, both were nice cuts, well trimmed and marbled. Next time with some more lead time I may call the local butcher as they didn't have any cuts over 2 lbs which is why I bought 2. I would have rather done 1 larger, but it worked out fine. That being said, the TJ meat was good, no issues going back for more for me.

The kid was out in Sacramento for a couple turns in Americorps and he fell in love with tri-tip out there. We haven't found a butcher in our area who will carve one for us, so its good to know that TJ's will do it.

The kid was out in Sacramento for a couple turns in Americorps and he fell in love with tri-tip out there. We haven't found a butcher in our area who will carve one for us, so its good to know that TJ's will do it.

There is a local butcher near me that sells a tri-tip marinated in a black nugget marinade. It is unbelievable. Let me know if you make it to the Southwest suburbs of Cleveland, and I will give you the name, address and phone.

All TJ's meat is private label for them (CO, NE or CA?) and comes in these weird puffy trays. Watch the exp date on it because who knows how long it was sitting in transition, in some warehouse, truck, stockroom, etc. Their fish is definitely a pass.

I've done tri tip before but I didn't have an Egg at the time. Thanks for the motivation on it. I have a ton of apple but no pecan. Always looking to try something new.

TJ's Tri-tips and the other steaks are sold in vacuum packs, at least around here.

TJ's Tri-tips and the other steaks are sold in vacuum packs, at least around here.

Same here (at least the tri-tip) was.

Check that, you guys are right. It's the other stuff they sell like brats or steaks that gets the puffy tray treatment.

• 2 months later...

Pulled the egg out this weekend for some ribs. 2 Slabs of Baby Backs (vacuum packed ones from Costco, so convenient-pre prepped, no membrane, just open, rinse and rub), put the extra slab in the freezer for a later date. Cut each slab in half to make the positioning on the egg easier. 225 degrees for the first 3 hours and about 250 for the last 2.5. Local grocery store had Jack Daniels Barrel Chunks on close out, so bought a bag to try them out. Got a grooved Sinatra barrel chunck in my bag, definitely tossed that one in the fire because it was special :lol:.

Used Strickland's Pork rub on one slab and Butt Rub on the other. Served one half of each dry and the other halves got sauced and put back on the egg for 15 minutes.

Ribs turned out nice, the Jack Daniel's chunks did all right, but in my opinion didn't really add anything special to the process. Probably why they were on closeout.

Pulled the egg out this weekend for some ribs. 2 Slabs of Baby Backs (vacuum packed ones from Costco, so convenient-pre prepped, no membrane, just open, rinse and rub), put the extra slab in the freezer for a later date. Cut each slab in half to make the positioning on the egg easier. 225 degrees for the first 3 hours and about 250 for the last 2.5. Local grocery store had Jack Daniels Barrel Chunks on close out, so bought a bag to try them out. Got a grooved Sinatra barrel chunck in my bag, definitely tossed that one in the fire because it was special :lol:.

Used Strickland's Pork rub on one slab and Butt Rub on the other. Served one half of each dry and the other halves got sauced and put back on the egg for 15 minutes.

Ribs turned out nice, the Jack Daniel's chunks did all right, but in my opinion didn't really add anything special to the process. Probably why they were on closeout.

• 1 month later...

I thought about taking the corks from empty bottles and throwing them in my smoker (just the cork portion, cutting off any plastic or finished wood pieces). I figured since they were whiskey soaked they might add some flavor. Has anyone ever tried this?

I thought about taking the corks from empty bottles and throwing them in my smoker (just the cork portion, cutting off any plastic or finished wood pieces). I figured since they were whiskey soaked they might add some flavor. Has anyone ever tried this?

I brined a bunch of bone-in pork chops that I picked up at Costco and grilled them five minutes each side on the Weber and they came out absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to reheat one of those babies for lunch today!

I also go with Costco ribs exclusively on the smoker. My cousins & I have come in top 10 the last 2 years in the amateur division of a nearby annual KCBS event using Costco ribs and our dry rub. If any of you guys have the opportunity to enter a competition, do it b/c its just a great time. Lots of bourbon & beer consumed starting very early in the morning ;) However, Mrs. JVD99 has to arrange for transportation home b/c no one on the team is in any condition to do anything except nap after the event.

I was not aware that Costco ribs come with the membrane already removed. That is a major selling point, since I find taking off the membrane to be a PITA.

I am suitably inspired. I will drop by Costco on the way home today for some ribs and plan on firing up the offset smoker early tomorrow.

Thanks for the inspiration. Just another way my bourbon obsession is benefiting those around me (principally my wife and kids who, experience has shown, will eat an unlimited amount of ribs.)

The lack of membrane is a really nice aspect of the Costco ribs, makes prep at home and especially at a competition so much easier.

I'm actually having ribs tonight, but gonna stop on the way home to pick them up. Ribs are one thing I've quit trying; it's better for me to leave that to the professionals I've learned.

Picked up 3 slabs from Costco. Tomorrow is football, beer & BBQ. Mrs. jvd99 will be out with her mom all day and come back for dinner

Nice, Paul. That looks about right for one or two servings. What else are you going to eat?

Nice, Paul. That looks about right for one or two servings. What else are you going to eat?

Wife, two kids, mother in law, two brothers in law, two nephews and me. There are a few left but I predict none of those ribs will survive the night. The world series game has not even started nor do I have the bourbon out yet, so the night is young.

• 1 month later...

The last few weekends in Michigan have been perfect for grinding, casing and smoking sausage. Just cold enough to grind and case the sausage in my garage without the worry of the meat getting warm. And just warm enough that smoking the sausage is doable.

I smoked 25 pounds of snack sticks two weekends ago. My kids like these for their school lunches. But they're getting to be expensive so I thought I would make my own for less. I made 10 pounds of beef, 5 pounds of pork and 10 pounds of 50/50 beef/pork.

Yesterday, I made 15 pounds of andouille sausage and 10 pounds of jalapeno cheese sausage. It was the first time I made either one and the results were fantastic! Better than I could have hoped for. I used some pecan wood that my uncle gave me from Texas a year ago. I really like the pecan smoke. I also successfully used natural casings for the first time with smoke after some failures in the past.

post-8680-14489821789215_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489821789718_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489821790219_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489821790748_thumb.jpg

post-8680-1448982179129_thumb.jpg