What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Tonight I'm going to smoke some extra thick pork chops with hickory. They are soaking in a brine of kosher salt, bourbon, and apple juice right now. Planning on using a smokehouse maple rub.

Yum! I smoked a couple chickens a few weekends ago when it was kind of semi-OK out here in southwest Michigan. They were quite good, but I didn't think to take any pictures :banghead:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the compliments. I've shared some of my sausages with family and friends and they are now making requests for the next time I make them. I want to do it again sometime this winter. I'll probably make a small gathering out of it just to have an excuse to drink some bourbon and beer.

Thank you for the compliments. I've shared some of my sausages with family and friends and they are now making requests for the next time I make them. I want to do it again sometime this winter. I'll probably make a small gathering out of it just to have an excuse to drink some bourbon and beer.

Uh, want to adopt me? I'm clean, good at doing dishes, and don't eat much (although your bourbon supply may need to be locked up).:slappin:

• 3 months later...

Another great pork butt on the smoker Saturday while I was continuing my yard project of building a retaining wall and planter. You know how motivating and satisfying it is to do heavy lifting with the delicious smell of smoked meat wafting through the air?! :yum: I am finally getting comfortable doing the pork, so much so, I didn't need to text my two coaches (callmeox and T_Comp) for info during the process! :lol:

Next, I try a brisket. Based on what Ive heard about its difficulty, I'll be going in with expectations of total failure :D, and will have the pizza guys phone number close by. So, I got that going for me...;)

So how long do you let that Pork butt go? How big is it? I only ask because we have been wanting to try one out, same goes with the brisket. I did some turkey thighs last night, let them go for about 2 hrs.,@ around 200* and tried me some Sugar maple this time....mmmmm, I guess my smoker isn't a true smoker more like a slow cooker/smoker

post-10789-14489822356546_thumb.jpg I built a few of these around 8 yrs or so ago, and I love it, you can't cook anything fast on it unless you really build a big fire,I was doing a rotisserie chicken in this pic. We are thinking about the pork butt or the brisket for this weekend. I generally use hickory, but have sugar maple and oak on hand for different meats. I was talking with a client the other day, and we started in about smoking, I asked what wood he uses and he told me grape vine, that was the first I had heard about using that, he told me that's what a lot of people use in California, but I could see using it.

15# of Canadian/Back bacon, smoked with Pecan & Cherry. 1.5 days of cold smoke then finished to temp.

So how long do you let that Pork butt go? How big is it? I only ask because we have been wanting to try one out, same goes with the brisket. I did some turkey thighs last night, let them go for about 2 hrs.,@ around 200* and tried me some Sugar maple this time....mmmmm, I guess my smoker isn't a true smoker more like a slow cooker/smoker

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20862[/ATTACH] I built a few of these around 8 yrs or so ago, and I love it, you can't cook anything fast on it unless you really build a big fire,I was doing a rotisserie chicken in this pic. We are thinking about the pork butt or the brisket for this weekend. I generally use hickory, but have sugar maple and oak on hand for different meats. I was talking with a client the other day, and we started in about smoking, I asked what wood he uses and he told me grape vine, that was the first I had heard about using that, he told me that's what a lot of people use in California, but I could see using it.

It was just under 6 lbs. 7 hrs on the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker at 275 degrees. Eating leftovers right now for lunch! :lol:

I asked what wood he uses and he told me grape vine, that was the first I had heard about using that, he told me that's what a lot of people use in California, but I could see using it.

Hmmmm. This person in California uses red oak and would worry about grape vines giving a bitter taste.

The great thing about pork butt is that you get to eat your mistakes when you are learning how to smoke things. It is also pretty cheap. Brisket and others meats are closer to straight-up ruined by poor smoking technique. Getting brisket right is really hard. I am the voice of experience on that issue at least. Still have not gotten a brisket right.

One thing I learned is that wrapping the pork butt with foil about halfway through the smoking process is key to keep it moist and prevent over-flavoring. I don't have a set time to leave it in there, but rather try to get the meat up to 225 using a meat thermometer.

I am no authority, but this is the little that I do know. I am sure there are others on here with way more experience and they might tell me I am dead wrong.

Well, instead of the pork roast I was going to try we opted for a duck instead. Put it on the rotisserie and thru some hickory on it for about a 4 hr. burn, turned out great! Also made a cranberry mustard, EWSB 05 reduction sauce for dipping, that wasn't too bad. That was the first time I tried a duck, and it was damn good!

I put a 12lb Boston Butt on this morning around 6:30. Low and slow. post-12448-14489822418422_thumb.jpgpost-12448-14489822418422_thumb.jpg

I had about 25 people over for ribs and turkey from my smoker today. The grub was a hit. My guests brought a roasted potato dish and a southwest vegetable dish - both went fantastic with my bbq. I then shared pours of 2011 LE SmB Four Roses, 2014 MMCS Batch #1, Stagg Jr. Batch #1 and 2013 GTS with my guests. It was very well received. There's nothing better than knowing a group of friends come over to your house and have a great time. I couldn't be happier right now.

How big is that brisket? That looks like some fine eatin' right there.

Just over 11 lbs. first cook on my new tailgate smoker

post-6701-14489822420414_thumb.jpg

post-6701-14489822420717_thumb.jpg

How big is that brisket? That looks like some fine eatin' right there.

Just over 11 lbs. first cook on my new tailgate smoker

[ATTACH]20956[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20957[/ATTACH]

That' cool. I've not seen a smoker attach to a tailgate like that before. Who manufactured your pit? I can't quite make out the logo on your smoker.

I purchased my smoker secondhand from a guy in Missouri. My Diamond Plate Products Fat 40 was manufactured in or near Aubrey, Texas. I don't think the manufacturer is in business any more but I got one whale of a smoker from them while they were around.

It is built by gator pit in Houston, TX. several companies around here build them if you google tailgate smokers.

It is built by gator pit in Houston, TX. several companies around here build them if you google tailgate smokers.

Nice pit! I have a party gator I picket up from Ritchie a few years ago, love that thing!post-12239-14489822423794_thumb.jpg

For our 41st wedding anniversary today, my wife bought me a tri-tip for smoking. Total surprise. I wonder what SHE's going to eat.:cool: