What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

For our 41st wedding anniversary today, my wife bought me a tri-tip for smoking. Total surprise. I wonder what SHE's going to eat.:cool:

I hope you've got a few extra notches on your belt! :lol:

Congrats Harry:toast:... she still hasn't kicked you out!! :bowdown:

That' cool. I've not seen a smoker attach to a tailgate like that before. Who manufactured your pit? I can't quite make out the logo on your smoker.

I purchased my smoker secondhand from a guy in Missouri. My Diamond Plate Products Fat 40 was manufactured in or near Aubrey, Texas. I don't think the manufacturer is in business any more but I got one whale of a smoker from them while they were around.

mmmm Gator Pit. I will have one ... One Day! Amazing BBQ Pits!

Well, I did my first brisket on the smoker, today. That's about all I can say about it...:falling:

I recently purchased a Big Green Egg and smoked 12lbs of port butt Saturday. They turned out really well, but I need to find a better rub. Anyone have any recipes they'd care to share?

I'm sure I mentioned this once before but the guy who runs the amazingribs.com site, Craig "Meat" Goldwyn, is my neighbor. That boy sure does know a thing or two about smoking meats and has proven to be a wonderful resource whenever I have questions (which is often!). My kids finish school tomorrow so I'll be making ribs for my daughter on the WSM, followed by a few pork butts on the weekend.

Well, I did my first brisket on the smoker, today. That's about all I can say about it...:falling:
Remarkably, I've still never tackled a brisket, even though I keep threatening to do so. I just never seem to find the time for a cook that long but have to do it this summer once and for all. How did it come out?

Just need to practice and make sure you take your time the brisket is done when it's done![emoji3]

I recently purchased a Big Green Egg and smoked 12lbs of port butt Saturday. They turned out really well, but I need to find a better rub. Anyone have any recipes they'd care to share?

I buy the salt free rub from Chili's Fire Pit in Mentor and then add salt and sugar to taste. If you've had pork shoulder from the Bardstown cookouts, then you've tasted the rub already.

http://www.chilisfirepit.com/

I buy the salt free rub from Chili's Fire Pit in Mentor and then add salt and sugar to taste. If you've had pork shoulder from the Bardstown cookouts, then you've tasted the rub already.

http://www.chilisfirepit.com/

Did me a couple of turkey thighs last night ...2hrs. with some hickory, mmmmm.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, I barbecued three racks of St. Louis style ribs for a party, last night. I cut the racks in half, and used the BBQ rub from Costco. I set up my Big Green Egg for indirect heat and put the ribs in a wire rack device with the "knuckle" ends down. Closed the BGE and kept the temp between 300 and 340 F for about 2 hrs and 40 minutes. Good stuff. Everyone at the party was happy with them.

Tim

The only rub I use these days for brisket is kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper (2-3 times more pepper than salt). The rest is time and pecan smoke. That is the central TX style I like the best (except the restaurants tend to use post oak).

Made some killer ribs on the WSM this weekend. Used some homemade rub and tightly foiled them at the three hour mark after spraying them lightly with apple juice. Another hour and they were good to go. Came out better than ever with a nice light smoky flavor imparted by the pecan wood.

Lately,....once a week.. been smoking 3 turkey legs for lunches and fishing trips during the week, now I have been adding a slab of salmon in the picture, the legs stay on for about 6-7 hrs, the fish 2-3.. mmmmm. Made some smoked salmon dip with half of the bounty, and it was really good, except at $10 lb for the farm raised and $14 for the wild, it can be quite an expensive hobby. Going to have to start hitting the big pond (lake Michigan)and catch my own again.

• 1 month later...

If you blew through your charcoal this Summer, Home Depot has a special buy for Labor Day: Kingsford Charcoal 2 pack of 18.6 lb bags for $9.88.

Edited to Add: As I get to the Lowes ad while going through the paper, I see Lowes has the same deal.

Edited by smokinjoe

• 3 weeks later...
If you blew through your charcoal this Summer, Home Depot has a special buy for Labor Day: Kingsford Charcoal 2 pack of 18.6 lb bags for $9.88.

Edited to Add: As I get to the Lowes ad while going through the paper, I see Lowes has the same deal.

Just in case folks didn't know about this - Home Depot and Lowe's always has this great deal on Kingsford Charcoal every federal holiday weekend during the summer. Memorial Day weekend, Fourth of July weekend and Labor Day weekend. Although the weight of the bags appear to be getting slightly smaller each passing year. Regardless, this is the best charcoal deal out there so if you do a lot of smoking, save your charcoal purchases for these weekends and then load up.

Did a Philly Cheese Steak Fatty on the egg. Ground ribeye and sirloin, filling was some cooked meat, onions, green peppers, mushrooms and provolone. Wrapped in bacon and smoked for about 2-2.5 hours. Removed, wrapped the whole thing in pizza dough and put in the oven for 25 min.

Only thing I think I'll do next time is a layer of cheese between the dough and fatty.

• 11 months later...

My yearly PSA:  

Home Depot has their 2pk of 18.6 lb bags of Kingsford Charcoal on sale this weekend for $9.88.  

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

My yearly PSA:  

Home Depot has their 2pk of 18.6 lb bags of Kingsford Charcoal on sale this weekend for $9.88.  

Thanks.  Missed the newspaper insert this AM, and I just happen to need a resupply.