What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Well if no one is posting lamb or ham, guess I’ll be that guy.

Kind of trying follow these guys recipe. Mine was boneless and I didn’t properly account for less time. After two hours this was around 130, so no finish in the foil. I was hoping to get to around 110, do a quick sear than finish for a bit in the foil, oh well.

IMG_6571.thumb.JPG.beb29f2becee932eef05881c628e6181.JPG

Took it off before I got a shot, Grill after with potatoes and corn.

IMG_6570.thumb.JPG.ed7536efe6696794c93f3583b7f6c99d.JPG

Final result not bad, actually best leg of lamb I’ve had as I’m generally not a fan.

IMG_6572.JPG

• I like it 1

Brisket on the bottom. (Sitting on a foil wrapped brick to fit). Couple chickens on the top. Never done a smoked chicken so we will see how it turns out

BE34A7A8-AC7A-4E6A-9919-13C8C87E4F62.jpeg

AF82BF03-45A4-428E-B157-5CD6D0CF4A28.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 4/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, HoustonNit said:

Final result not bad, actually best leg of lamb I’ve had as I’m generally not a fan. [Pic deleted by me harry in WashDC]

THX for the nudge.  I did a butterfly leg of lamb last year, and we loved it.  A smoked/grilled LofL loses the next-day gaminess lamb usually has when roasted in the oven.  Don't know why, but it does.  EDIT - why nudge?  To remind me to put it on this year's outdoor cooking list.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

TCouple whole Salmon filets last night. Second time with a new recipe and the results have been killer. 

2.5 racks of ribs went on an hour ago. Should be done about 4:30pm for dinner. 

C5D556F2-E711-482B-87D1-A6A500EEAAC3.jpeg

69A63EC1-98CD-477E-B952-B22EC546A65F.thumb.jpeg.91a235b51c8595d7aa794b77e2cd0cae.jpeg

Salmon looks great, you should try the same treatment on some whitefish.

• I like it 1

On 5/19/2019 at 1:59 PM, HoustonNit said:

Salmon looks great, you should try the same treatment on some whitefish.

On 5/19/2019 at 5:00 PM, BigPapa said:

What’s your cure on your Salmon?

Whitefish is a great idea!  Will probably look to do that sometime.

Cure is just water, salt and brown sugar.  Honey baste every hour while smoking.  Its really good.  Very moist and flavorful.  

Whitefish is a great idea!  Will probably look to do that sometime.

Cure is just water, salt and brown sugar.  Honey baste every hour while smoking.  Its really good.  Very moist and flavorful.  

What temp u smoke it at?

We shot a boar the other week. Around 70kg. We skinned and cut it, then waited for the trichina examination. Saturday was the day. Finally! We made a stew in the dutch oven, used parts of the front legs, the whole heart, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, spices. Cold beer as well. Very nice evening. 

20190518_193157-min.jpg

• I like it 2

We shot a boar the other week. Around 70kg. We skinned and cut it, then waited for the trichina examination. Saturday was the day. Finally! We made a stew in the dutch oven, used parts of the front legs, the whole heart, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, spices. Cold beer as well. Very nice evening. 
20190518_193157-min.thumb.jpg.979c36637addbc098321f01f0942fba4.jpg

Is a trichina examination a legal requirement or just a precaution? How is that examination conducted? Why not just thoroughly cook the meat, such as in a stew like you have done, so you don’t have to worry about it?

4 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

20190518_193157-min.jpg

Hell, yeah!!!  When a man starts a post with, “We shot a boar...”, you stand up and take notice.  Well done!

By the way, is there anybody that’s been to the Gazebo, and read Sven’s post, that didn’t think of Stu?   :D  Sven, y’all two have GOT to meet.  

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Is a trichina examination a legal requirement or just a precaution? How is that examination conducted? Why not just thoroughly cook the meat, such as in a stew like you have done, so you don’t have to worry about it?

You need to do it, it is a legal requirement. As a registered hunter, you are allowed to sell boar, and these people could make some kind of raw sausage with it, where they don't cook it. So, I mean you could eat it yourself whithout testing, but we have had some special sorts of trichina, who survive longer than the usual, and you need to the temperature to the very core of the meat to kill them all. It is tricky.

You take some fibres of the muscle and the diaphragm, and they will test it in a laboratory and give you call. 

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Hell, yeah!!!  When a man starts a post with, “We shot a boar...”, you stand up and take notice.  Well done!

Hahaha, I thought you guys in the States could handle it. Guns and Germany is a complicated relationship, so I usually keep quit about it. 

What is the Gazebo, if I may ask? 

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, Sven Heuchert said:

Hahaha, I thought you guys in the States could handle it. Guns and Germany is a complicated relationship, so I usually keep quit about it. 

What is the Gazebo, if I may ask? 

Many of us here on SB meet twice a year in Bardstown, Kentucky for several days of  touring Distilleries and other stuff.  The motel that we stay at has a wooden gazebo on the back property, where the group meets and spends the night hours away chatting,  eating, drinking, smoking cigars, and telling lies... :D  Look in the Social section under KBF and Sampler headings on the site for pics and other info.  

And, welcome to SB!  

Congratulations on the successful hunt, and on the cleaning and cooking of your own game. 

This always brought me the most satisfaction as the culmination of the hunt, and the ultimate in respect for the quarry, as the animal becomes part of the hunter and his family, entirely through the efforts of the hunter.

5 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Many of us here on SB meet twice a year in Bardstown, Kentucky for several days of  touring Distilleries and other stuff.  The motel that we stay at has a wooden gazebo on the back property, where the group meets and spends the night hours away chatting,  eating, drinking, smoking cigars, and telling lies... :D  Look in the Social section under KBF and Sampler headings on the site for pics and other info.  

And, welcome to SB!  

That sounds awesome!

Thanks very much, Joe.

5 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Congratulations on the successful hunt, and on the cleaning and cooking of your own game. 

This always brought me the most satisfaction as the culmination of the hunt, and the ultimate in respect for the quarry, as the animal becomes part of the hunter and his family, entirely through the efforts of the hunter.

Absolutely! I don't hunt for trophies that much. I like the whole process, from skinning to cutting to cooking, which usually ends in something we call "Tottrinken" in german (literally means: Drinking something dead.), as a way to respect the animal. 

Edited by Sven Heuchert
  • I like it 1