What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

That really does look awesome, Papa!  I bet it tastes even better.  Yeah, the smell gets even down here to Georgia!  [emoji3]

Thanks!

I prefer St. Louis style ribs, but out local grocery store had Smithfield baby backs on sale, so I bought some.

5 hrs,  on the trusty Weber kettle at °230.

20190714_190217.jpg

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I prefer St. Louis style ribs, but out local grocery store had Smithfield baby backs on sale, so I bought some.

5 hrs,  on the trusty Weber kettle at °230.

20190714_190217.jpg

This slab of ribs loox absolutely awful. 

I'd be really careful about eating 'em.   

You might wanna have someone you don't care anything about taste test 'me.   

If you want help in that regard, PM me, and I'll give you my shipping address, and a few bux to cover the dry ice and shipping charges.   Hope I can help out......

• I like it 1

After spending last week in ATL for work, I was working from home this week and then finished up for my client ahead of time.  Hello impromptu PTO.  So I threw some chicken wings in the smoker for lunch today. 

Then for dinner I decided I wanted a filet (granted, not in the smoker).  Mrs. dcbt is out of town for work this week (so we briefly touched down at home last weekend together), and after the two little ones went to bed I hit the grill.  Not much in the fridge or pantry in the way of sides, so "filet frites" it was (with side salad).  I'll tell you what, though, sometimes the KISS theory is the best way to go (Keep It Simple, Stupid).  I forgot to take this pic until I was almost done, it was so good!

I have baby backs brining in the fridge right now, will throw in the smoker tomorrow morning for lunch.  More to come!

Cheers.

ps disregard random foot in photo!  bourbon, check.  meat, check.  photography, ummmm, not so much...

wings3.jpg

IMG_20190718_2053052.jpg

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 1

better pics...  This was my first attempt at smoking wings, but it won't be my last...

wings1.jpg

wings2.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Damn you guys are making me hungry.

Yeah not for everyone but I saw a local pizza place was putting canned sardines with lemon juice in the wood fired oven as an app. Figured I’d try it on the kettle grill. I really enjoyed this.

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

• I like it 4

19 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Damn you guys are making me hungry.

Yeah not for everyone but I saw a local pizza place was putting canned sardines with lemon juice in the wood fired oven as an app. Figured I’d try it on the kettle grill. I really enjoyed this.

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

Can't wait to try this.

39 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

Can't wait to try this.

Yep, me too!  Then, the anchovies...

• I like it 1

Can't wait to try this.

Yep, me too!  Then, the anchovies...

Yes anchovies as well sound good. If you like canned fish and your grilling anyway go for it. Worst case you’re out $2.50.

Just don’t forget to open the can first. I’ve seen the 5 finger pours some of you guys have and I don’t want to be blamed for any questionable buzzed judgement calls.
  • I like it 1

If the weather holds, and everything goes according to plans, there is a distinct possibility that there will be steaks and brats on the grill this Saturday.  :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Bit the bullet and splurged on some King Salmon. Believe it or not my Mom and my Mother in law share a birthday. Making it as gifts. Fingers crossed I don’t screw up a million $$ worth of fish!

On July 29, 2019 at 5:44 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

If the weather holds, and everything goes according to plans, there is a distinct possibility that there will be steaks and brats on the grill this Saturday.  :D

Biba! Joe

Well, the weather held. ^_^ Steaks, brats and dogs on the grill. Bourbon baked beans and loaded crock pot potatoes for side dishes. After supper, we used the hot coals from the grill to make s'mores for desert. It was a great day with the family. 

Biba! Joe

a1.jpeg

a2.jpeg

• I like it 3

Crazy sale at WF. Picked 11lbs of Salmon for about $55! Never smoked the steaks before, but at this price worth a shot!

D6B52AFF-CC20-4556-8E74-0092FB135C51.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chicken thighs, a kiss of pecan smoke, WTRB on a cube, The Judds on the radio. I'm pretty happy about it all. 

20190824_180804.jpg

Burgers, brats and dogs on the grill this evening. Fun time with the family.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Brining some chicken wings to be smoked later today. Pics to follow.

I'm having a rye whiskey get together tonight.

Thursday night into yesterday I was smoking a pork butt to feed the get together. Unbeknownst to me my digital meat thermometer was reading about 9% low, so I ended up with dry and tough pulled pork. I threw it in the trash and got some pork steaks to smoke. I'll treat them similar to poor man's burnt ends. Im going to grill some brats too.

Included are pics of my rye night contributions. 

20190831_122153.jpg

20190831_122700.jpg

20190831_123205.jpg

Edited by JCwhammie

Did a pork butt over the Labor Day weekend.  Put it on at 9:30 on Saturday night.  Wish I had put it on at 8 pm as it was ready about an hour later than I wanted on Sunday.  Did a slaw using the dressing I learned to make when I worked in a restaurant many years ago.  I tried an experiment where I wanted to do a traditional pulled pork sandwich with pork and slaw on the sandwich but instead of a bun, I wanted to use what we termed “hot-water cornbread”.  This would be similar to what the Venezuelans call “Arepas”.  Unfortunately, that did not work out as planned so I will back up and try again later.  I think I know what to do to fix the issues.

Since I am from NW Louisiana, my Q tends to be more Memphis style.  My friend on the site across the street is from East Tennessee and his Q is more like North Carolina Q and has a more vinegar base.  I like both as I find the differences in BBQ across the South to be fun to explore.  The is none that I don’t like but some I prefer more than others.

Being a microbiologist that moved out of the lab years ago, I find that cooking help me scratch my “lab itch”.  Some experiments turn out better than others but I have yet to have one that I would deem a complete failure.  At least, I can eat these failures.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Did a pork butt over the Labor Day weekend.  Put it on at 9:30 on Saturday night.  Wish I had put it on at 8 pm as it was ready about an hour later than I wanted on Sunday.  

Pro tip: Foil/Towell/Cooler (FTC) is a live-saver.  Timing on BBQ can be super stressful, I always aim for my pork shoulders to come out waaay before I intend on serving. When they are done, remove from smoker, wrap in three layers of heavy duty aluminium foil, then wrap that in a old towell and stick the whole thing in a cooler with more towels (depending on cooler size)  This will keep the butt nice n warm with minimal heat loss for a good 6 plus hours and makes it much easier to serve on time while also providing you a huge window to get it all done.  If no cooler, you can stick the foiled/towelled butt in a microwave or oven (neither turned on) in a pinch.  

If I am serving at 11:45am for noon football I will shoot for about a 7:30-8 am finish.  If finished in a few hours in either direction its no problem.  This also frees me up to do things like make sauce, slaw, sides etc . . . as well as gives me a primed and hot smoker to get another dish in that will also be ready by gametime.  Drumsticks,  Atomic Buffalo Turds, Bacon Candy, are all short cooks.  Alternatively, get a jump start on some baby backs for the 3pm feeding!  

• I like it 1

On 8/31/2019 at 12:37 PM, JCwhammie said:

I'm having a rye whiskey get together tonight.

Thursday night into yesterday I was smoking a pork butt to feed the get together. Unbeknownst to me my digital meat thermometer was reading about 9% low, so I ended up with dry and tough pulled pork. I threw it in the trash and got some pork steaks to smoke. I'll treat them similar to poor man's burnt ends. Im going to grill some brats too.

Included are pics of my rye night contributions. 

20190831_122153.jpg

20190831_122700.jpg

20190831_123205.jpg

Those pork steaks were great.  Should have just shredded up the pork butt and simmered with sauce.  Could have possibly saved it.  Never got around to any of the beer.  Too many rye choices!!

Totally forgot the pics of the wings?

Just threw on some chicken thighs. 

20190903_162518.jpg

Now working on the Alabama white bbq sauce. 

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 2

I know about the the foil/towel/cooler method but have never used it. It is a great idea and I will use it in the future.  It wasn’t a major issue as it was an hour off this time. Should have put them on at 8 as I had originally planned.

I had the usual time in the Stall at about 150 but for some reason I had another one at 180.  My friend across the street had exactly the same issue. We had a cool night (around 50 for the low) but since I use a pellet smoker this should not have been an issue.