What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

It looks like our immediate family is off Friday. I brought up the possibility of cooking out. More than likely it will be a no go. Temps in the low 90’s and high humidity.  ?  Oh well.

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Oh, MAN!   Now, that is a Summer meal to enjoy!     LOVELY!!!!      I'd bury my face in that in a heartbeat, if given the opportunity.

I'm in MD... Stop by whenever. I host Sunday brunches when it's not covid time

• I like it 1

Family weekend. FILs birthday this past week and he is a big fan of lamb. Made some lamb sliders with fresh parsley and mint for the grill. Then a rack of Lamb chops to smoke over an open fire tomorrow.  Some freshly made polish and ABTs will make an appearance in the “smoker” at some point.  Dark n Stormys thus far as the poison of choice. Dangerously good. 

Thumbs up on the sliders. I never remember to take a picture post cook!

54CB03CB-CB6E-4C84-93DF-F126BF9EE7AE.jpeg

• I like it 1

First try at STL spare ribs. They tasted fantastic, but the Misses and I agree we're both baby back people. 

20200703_133612.jpg

• I like it 2

The American Legion post I’m a member of is finally open once again. Of course with many restrictions. They are having a special event this evening. A grilled pork chop fund raiser. Since we aren’t grilling out here at home over this holiday weekend, we figured we’s still get something grilled, and help out my Post to boot. Win! Win! I’m headed out in a couple of minutes to grab a couple of carry out meals. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

Happy 4th everyone.  I’m talking a shot at smoking some beef ribs, smoked on the kettle.  Rubbed generously with sea salt, lots of pepper, cayenne and garlic powder.

Of course Spraying it down for moisture with vinegar and JW Dant BIB.

Also while waiting for the coals to get to temp I made cowboy sourdough biscuits.

BFED2223-9B6D-4CB0-92C2-1847D0A6889F.thumb.jpeg.2705601433fc2570a5e83236e45a161b.jpeg

652A7FD6-98EF-429C-828A-61984F161062.jpeg

Edited by HoustonNit
  • I like it 2

Came out acceptable, especially for my first attempt and will be spared from the chili pot.

Cooked to fast at around 6 hours instead of at least 7.   Would’ve also like a little bit more spark.  Otherwise it had gray flavor and was really moist but didn’t come out like pot roast which some times happens with these ribs.

ED2F85B5-68FA-4DDE-ACEA-4F01A9BBB343.jpeg

854CD58E-1394-4F00-AE75-788E835BE4F6.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t smoke anything tonight, but took some frozen leftover smoked pork butt and whipped up a hash with some other left overs.

B23A236F-4DCD-4AA2-BC73-BDA7F975BF90.jpeg

• I like it 2

Low n slow pork steaks and Sierra Nevada Summerfest. I broke out the Cards pint glass, as I am missing baseball like crazy. 

20200714_173724.jpg

• I like it 2

I've recently been into bbq over veggies. I drink the carbs. Wilderness Trail (do we have an acronym yet that doesn't overlap wild turkey?) Rye. Honey glazed county style ribs over spinach and things.IMG_20200714_184418.thumb.jpg.db2de8a75bea97d0cd481b24ba7bc272.jpg

• I like it 3

42 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Low n slow pork steaks and Sierra Nevada Summerfest. I broke out the Cards pint glass, as I am missing baseball like crazy. 

20200714_173724.jpg

Nice.  I hear you Whammie, the lack of baseball is such a bummer.  ☹️

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Nice.  I hear you Whammie, the lack of baseball is such a bummer.  ☹️

Not a huge baseball fan but it just doesn't seem like summer with Cards games on the radio.

Missed hockey like mad.  So glad we are getting a playoff.  Can't wait.  LGB!!!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not grilling or smoking anything today. It’s too freaking hot out! It was 94 °. Add the humidity in, and the heat index said it felt like it was 103°. So, I broke out the skillet and pan fried some small sirloin strip steaks. A little butter in the frying pan to start. My sauce was a mix of Worcestershire sauce, Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory & Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce, and a dash or two of Kikkoman Soy Sauce.The spice I used was McCormick Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon. I used a medium low heat to cook ‘em low and slow. Not too bad. Not too bad at all. ? :P 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

It was cooler than usual today, 94 with a heat index of 103 or so, so had to hit the grill.  :), Joe.

Lamb on the left, pork-and-mango on the right, before and after.

IMG_20200726_1710299.jpg

IMG_20200726_1802138.jpg

• I like it 2

Beef ribs & cornbread.

I rarely foil anything,  but brisket.

These guys were pretty small so, after 3hrs of smoke, I put them in a covered  pan with red wine, beef broth, butter, Worcestershire and a little rub. 

Took 'em to 200° and they're resting in a cooler now. Can't wait to eat!

20200726_185451.jpg

20200726_190103.jpg

• I like it 2

51 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Beef ribs & cornbread.

Looks good, FootballTeamfan1311. :)

Grill and stove today. But I think this counts. Sirloin topped with onions, mushrooms and green bells. In a special glaze.

IMG_20200727_183920.jpg

IMG_20200727_183851.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Beef Rib Roast on a charcoal grill

Total time – Five and a half to six hours.

Prep time – 20 minutes to cut off bones & trim fat, rub with pepper & salt, tie bones back on.

Fridge time – one hour uncovered.

Counter time – two hours uncovered.

Cook time – Direct about 5 minutes then indirect two hours for a two-bone roast, up to 2.5 for a four-bone.

Rest time – 15-20 minutes while cleaning up Happy Hour mess and finishing up sides.

A well-iced OGD 114 made that five hours FLY by.

I followed the recipe in Cook’s Illustrated, Summer (August) 2010, pp. 4 and 6.  It is substantially the same as the recipe in America’s Test Kitchen’s “Master of the Grill” (2916), p. 352.

The wrinkle is: During the prep, cut the roast off the bone (keeping the bone slab intact), then pepper and salt the boneless roast all over, and then tie the bones back on.  I sat the roast inside the aluminum pan I would later use as the drip pan, lining it with a wax paper sheet.

Almost all cooking is done indirectly with the lid closed (and do not peek until close to “done” time to check internal temp.  The cooking is straightforward.  After the grill is hot and oiled, use BIG tongs to turn and hold the roast so it is browned on fat-covered sides (but not exposed meat sides).  THEN, place it over a drip pan with the exposed ends of the bones pointing away from the coals and the other end just off the coals.  If you are using an internal thermometer like I did, insert it NOW.  Inserting it earlier makes browning messy and entangling.  Close the lid and adjust the vents so the kettle temp stays around 325-350.   On my Weber Summit Charcoal Grill, this means open bottom vents and top vents open about a fat pencil’s diameter.

I also put some maple chunks on the coals just before closing the lid.  At internal temp 125F, I removed the roast. And lightly tented while we finished up the sides.  It could have gone to 130F, but we like ours on the rare side of medium rare.

Cocktail before dinner was a Red Hook.  Rye whiskey (2 oz.), Punt e Mes vermouth (1/2 oz.), Maraschino liqueur (¼ oz.), cherry garnish.  Up or rocks – you choose.

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 7:45 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Beef ribs & cornbread.

I rarely foil anything,  but brisket.

These guys were pretty small so, after 3hrs of smoke, I put them in a covered  pan with red wine, beef broth, butter, Worcestershire and a little rub. 

Took 'em to 200° and they're resting in a cooler now. Can't wait to eat!

20200726_185451.jpg

20200726_190103.jpg

Love me some iron skillet cornbread.  One of the things that I have never gotten used to in the Norh is sweet cornbread.  It s so sweet you can ice it and call it cake.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Love me some iron skillet cornbread.  One of the things that I have never gotten used to in the Norh is sweet cornbread.  It s so sweet you can ice it and call it cake.

Hah.  Mrs. dcbt is from NY/NJ, and her whole family is still up there, and one of my pet peeves is their use of the word "barbecue."  To me, that means brisket, ribs, sausage, or whatever else comes out of a SMOKER.  To them it means grilled hot dogs.

4 hours ago, dcbt said:

Hah.  Mrs. dcbt is from NY/NJ, and her whole family is still up there, and one of my pet peeves is their use of the word "barbecue."  To me, that means brisket, ribs, sausage, or whatever else comes out of a SMOKER.  To them it means grilled hot dogs.

I understand. To my wife, it is not BBQ requires sauce.   Most people are grilling not barbecuing.   One of my pet peeves involves chili. To me chili can only use beef and I do not tolerate beans at all in my chili.  Please don’t call your turkey sweet potato stew chili just because you used chili powder in it. 

Just now, StarSurfer55 said:

I understand. To my wife, BBQ requires sauce.   Most people are grilling not barbecuing.   One of my pet peeves involves chili. To me chili can only use beef and I do not tolerate beans at all in my chili.  Please don’t call your turkey sweet potato stew chili just because you used chili powder in it.   These are near religious topics at my house  

Just put my Porchetta on the smoker. I expect it to be at least a 5 hour cook.  I will send pic when I am done.

EFB12CB8-EECA-459B-AC33-AFE6379AFC4F.jpeg

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Just put my Porchetta on the smoker. I expect it to be at least a 5 hour cook.  I will send pic when I am done.

when should we be over?

21 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Looking forward to seeing the finished product Jeff. I'm going to start marinating chicken legs in the next couple hours and will smoke tomorrow. I'm debating between apple, cherry, or peach smoke. Maybe even pecan.