What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

1 hour ago, dean_martin said:

Thanks.  Yes, but the one in the foreground was inching toward medium because it was on the hotter side of my PK grill.  I like the char I can get with a "cowboy" rub without overcooking.  Good stuff!

Lightly smoked, then finished on the grill?

On 9/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, Mattk said:

Unfortunately no photos this time. But I set some fillets over red oak and shag bark hickory. Then threw on fresh rosemary to flash smoke. Paired with a wild rice pilaf and tarragon asparagus. Having an old pepper rye during and after. Another old pepper and a rocky patel for desert. The weather is idealic this evening. Cheers my brothers in grain.

Shag bark Hickory?!?!  Heehee!  Sounds like something Old Granny Hawkins might add to her poultices of feathermoss and mustard root!    ?

• I like it 1

On 9/8/2020 at 5:35 PM, Phil T said:

Lightly smoked, then finished on the grill?

the technique:  let the coals (charcoal and mesquite chips) reach their peak; put on steaks that have been rubbed and have reached room temperature; close lid and vents; 4 mins, then flip/turn for 3mins (sometimes 5/4mins depending on thickness).  It's not "smoking", but closing the lid and vents allows the steak to pick up mesquite flavor.  I've only recently developed the patience to wait for the coals to reach peak heat.  I use that time to make a Negroni or an Old Fashioned.

I'm looking forward to cooler weather when I'll experiment with smoking/indirect heat on the PK.  

5 minutes ago, dean_martin said:

the technique:  let the coals (charcoal and mesquite chips) reach their peak; put on steaks that have been rubbed and have reached room temperature; close lid and vents; 4 mins, then flip/turn for 3mins (sometimes 5/4mins depending on thickness).  It's not "smoking", but closing the lid and vents allows the steak to pick up mesquite flavor.  I've only recently developed the patience to wait for the coals to reach peak heat.  I use that time to make a Negroni or an Old Fashioned.

I'm looking forward to cooler weather when I'll experiment with smoking/indirect heat on the PK.  

Good info, thanks dean!

On 9/9/2020 at 6:34 PM, smokinjoe said:

Shag bark Hickory?!?!  Heehee!  Sounds like something Old Granny Hawkins might add to her poultices of feathermoss and mustard root!    ?

Just the type of hickory that grows on the property. We had to take one down last year after a lightning strike. So it makes bbq now.

17 minutes ago, Mattk said:

Just the type of hickory that grows on the property. We had to take one down last year after a lightning strike. So it makes bbq now.

I love saying it! ? It’s like an ear worm...I do wonder, if Granny had put shag bark hickory in her poultice, maybe Jamie would have lived!  ?

Edited by smokinjoe

A pork loin rubbed with Caribbean spices and smoked with mesquite and apple wood.  Served with fresh corn and brown rice and quinoa mix.

• I like it 1

Smoked some baby backs last weekend but forgot the obligatory pic.  Also grilled some wings, coupled with some homemade rings that I did capture.  It's football season after all...

wings n rings.jpg

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

Smoked some baby backs last weekend but forgot the obligatory pic.  Also grilled some wings, coupled with some homemade rings that I did capture.  It's football season after all...

wings n rings.jpg

that's a great lookin' game day plate!  the wife won't let me fry indoors.  I need to find a decent and safe outdoor fryer 

• 3 weeks later...

One of the good things about working from home is that that cooking on the smoker does not have to wait for the weekend.  I did three racks of ribs today.  Enough left over for lunch tomorrow.  I will do a brisket later this weekend.

4702DFFF-3306-4BB0-A357-735B93ADE677.jpeg

062F4940-C76D-413F-B724-5D821AD12433.jpeg

• I like it 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Smoked a turkey yesterday. 15lb, 6.5 hours, 275 degrees. Turned out well. My only regret was letting it rest longer than the 30 minutes I gave it. 

3E317674-FBBC-47DD-9EC1-4035B0C72057.jpeg

93674700-D69D-45C5-8603-17E478C15A63.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 11/23/2020 at 8:51 AM, MM818 said:

Smoked a turkey yesterday. 15lb, 6.5 hours, 275 degrees. Turned out well. My only regret was letting it rest longer than the 30 minutes I gave it. 

3E317674-FBBC-47DD-9EC1-4035B0C72057.jpeg

93674700-D69D-45C5-8603-17E478C15A63.jpeg

spatchcock Smoked perfection right here, nicely done.

Quiet Thanksgiving this year.  Made a small probably select brisket.  First attempt. Not Franklin BBQ but better than 90% of BBQ joints.  With a whole prime brisket I think it’ll come out great.  

some Turkey breast meat skewered and a jalepeno cheese summer sausage which works great smoked.  

Happy Wild Turkey day everyone.

F2AA6C98-9044-45CF-8AE2-158AF6705D72.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Smoked a chicken last night. Turmeric honey glaze. Got a little too cute with the temp but it came out well. 

B76921EA-51C1-4397-BE86-EA7EC52802DB.jpeg

• I like it 1

I think google would be your better friend. I did tsp of turmeric powder, cayenne, and salt. A couple tsp of honey, olive oil, and soy sauce. I put all that together in a gallon zip lock and let marinade for only about 45 minutes. You can see the dark spots on the bird where the honey pooled. 

Do you use frozen duck? That looks damn good. One of my favorite things to do is go to the San Gabriel Valley for a well prepared duck. 

• I like it 1

I forgot this thread existed, and it’s making me want to smoke some meat. I think a brisket is in my future. My favorite. The last one I did was 18 pounds. 

• I like it 1

So I decided to smoke some pork cutlets today.  Since pork can be dry, I butterflied the cutlets, added a  pat of butter and some rub then wrapped them in bacon.  They turned out okay but still a bit drier than I would like.  I am still looking for a recipe that will result in moist and tender cutlets.

IMG_1328.thumb.jpeg.aed6f2740bf2cd1c3173b2f276c0589d.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

• I like it 2

30 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

So I decided to smoke some pork cutlets today.  Since pork can be dry, I butterflied the cutlets, added a  pat of butter and some rub then wrapped them in bacon.  They turned out okay but still a bit drier than I would like.  I am still looking for a recipe that will result in moist and tender cutlets.

IMG_1331.jpeg

Let me know if you find one.  Because that cut isn't really marbled with fat and instead has an outer ring of fat, I'm not aware of anything that will keep it from drying out smoking it.  You can grill or roast it and come out with a juicer result but you have to be laser focused on temp and yank it out quick.  

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

I am still looking for a recipe that will result in moist and tender cutlets.

Have you tried brining or maybe injection of marinade?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

IMG_1331.jpeg

Have you considered brining them? Part of the problem is always going to be with how small those cuts are, the surface area to mass ratio is always going to be a problem. I think you’re better off keeping them intact as much as possible, as butterflying them gives the juices a direct path out. You could bribe them, and then to a real hot but really quick seat on the outside, to try to lock the juices into the meat better. Or maybe I’m crazy?