What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

I know this is a smoke thread, but I find that infared grilling works best for consistently moist pork cutlets.

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

I know this is a smoke thread, but I find that infared grilling works best for consistently moist pork cutlets.

I have no infrared cooker, BUT, lower heat than you think you want to use and more flipping than you want to do and diligent and frequent use of a Thermapen works for me.

Online, check out amazingribs.com which has free access to recipes and techniques.

• I like it 2

Thanks to everyone that suggested brining the cutlet prior to smoking.  I found a recipe for a brown sugar brine that I am going to try next time.

12 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I have no infrared cooker, BUT, lower heat than you think you want to use and more flipping than you want to do and diligent and frequent use of a Thermapen works for me.

Online, check out amazingribs.com which has free access to recipes and techniques.

Harry,

Thanks. I should have gone to amazing ribs for some tips beforehand.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Thanks to everyone that suggested brining the cutlet prior to smoking.  I found a recipe for a brown sugar brine that I am going to try next time.

Also, rosemary actually helps with the moisture retention. Don't ask me why; I read it somewhere and it works...

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Paddy said:

Reread the later posts as I was doing lamb chops in a broiler and was looking for hints  -- Paddy, my wife has sometimes wondered about getting an infrared cooker of some sort.  Or an air fryer.  Or some such.  Any websites you'd recommend?  In keeping with this "cookin on the smoker" topic, I often start fires in the broiler OR on the cook top :D so "SMOKE!!" is omnipresent.:o

Any websites you can point me to other than Consumer Reports, etc., OR any PM hints you want to send along?  COVID has me trapped in the house so my retirement benefits are stacking up - what a GOOD problem to have, I know, but . . .

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Reread the later posts as I was doing lamb chops in a broiler and was looking for hints  -- Paddy, my wife has sometimes wondered about getting an infrared cooker of some sort.  Or an air fryer.  Or some such.  Any websites you'd recommend?  In keeping with this "cookin on the smoker" topic, I often start fires in the broiler OR on the cook top :D so "SMOKE!!" is omnipresent.:o

Any websites you can point me to other than Consumer Reports, etc., OR any PM hints you want to send along?  COVID has me trapped in the house so my retirement benefits are stacking up - what a GOOD problem to have, I know, but . . .

https://www.charbroil.com/tru-infrared

• I like it 1

On 1/13/2021 at 6:05 PM, Paddy said:

I brine and then grill my pork cutlets and they turn out moist and amazing every time.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, flahute said:

I brine and then grill my pork cutlets and they turn out moist and amazing every time.

Brine-ing is pretty wonderful, but hardly less work. I guess low n slow is the lazy man's way...🥱

On 1/15/2021 at 12:29 AM, flahute said:

I went online and found a recipe for a brown sugar brine that should do the trick next time I make these.

• I like it 2

I cooked some chicken thighs on the Egg, then made some waffles, and poured bourbon butter syrup on top. Dang good eats!!

20210120_175520.jpg

20210120_175825.jpg

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I cooked some chicken thighs on the Egg, then made some waffles, and poured bourbon butter syrup on top. Dang good eats!!

Sounds awesome!  For Christmas I got a mini waffle maker that embeds an image of a Llama on one side (its an inside joke in our family).

🤣

waffle.jpg

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Sounds awesome!  For Christmas I got a mini waffle maker that embeds an image of a Llama on one side (its an inside joke in our family).

🤣

waffle.jpg

I may have to look into getting one if those waffle makers. The wife and I went to Peru for our honeymoon, and llamas and alpacas remind us of that trip. 

Started with OF 1920 then opened a Total Wines WR barrel pick for one of my guests. Of course I helped him.

The bourbon and wine flowed freely so I barely had time to snap pics.

I also over-cooked things about 10 minutes worth; but it hardly stopped the troops from eating.

Next time 1 less pour before checking the grill, oh well...

burgers.thumb.jpg.0fddea5057460791f5b5750699709285.jpg

• I like it 3

20 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Started with OF 1920 then opened a Total Wines WR barrel pick for one of my guests. Of course I helped him.

The bourbon and wine flowed freely so I barely had time to snap pics.

I also over-cooked things about 10 minutes worth; but it hardly stopped the troops from eating.

Next time 1 less pour before checking the grill, oh well...

burgers.thumb.jpg.0fddea5057460791f5b5750699709285.jpg

Dang that looks good.

Decided to do a brisket today.  It was a flat, about 10 lbs uncooked. A 6 hour cook. Turned out good. 

F214F4CE-11C6-4FAB-904A-DDCA9B293E87.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 1/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, StarSurfer55 said:

I went online and found a recipe for a brown sugar brine that should do the trick next time I make these.

Late to this, I tend to grill/roast Pork Tenderloin or Loin vs smoking, but would absolutely agree that brining is the way to go.  I use an apple cider bring for chicken drumsticks and turkey breast that I would imagine would carry over nicely with pork.  

I’m making chili today. I like to start with a couple hours of smoke on full cuts of meat, then braise it with the chili base and veggies, with some ground beef also added later. Just put these beef short ribs and pork belly on the smoke (oak) at 230 to get things started. 

066BBE06-F911-456B-AF93-A72B9C180197.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Prime full packer on the smoker today.  Trimmed it a little less than normal, and the result is a juicy and tender slab of beef Heaven. It’s like buttah!  😋

7DB391EF-8011-4648-B850-ABAE8CE874A8.jpeg

F33E8589-F89A-4E80-870F-0F10F90E2DDD.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 3/7/2021 at 6:31 PM, smokinjoe said:

Prime full packer on the smoker today.  Trimmed it a little less than normal, and the result is a juicy and tender slab of beef Heaven. It’s like buttah!  😋

7DB391EF-8011-4648-B850-ABAE8CE874A8.jpeg

F33E8589-F89A-4E80-870F-0F10F90E2DDD.jpeg

Nice knife ;)

On 1/30/2021 at 9:43 AM, BottledInBond said:

I’m making chili today. I like to start with a couple hours of smoke on full cuts of meat, then braise it with the chili base and veggies, with some ground beef also added later. Just put these beef short ribs and pork belly on the smoke (oak) at 230 to get things started. 

066BBE06-F911-456B-AF93-A72B9C180197.jpeg

Oh man this seems like the type of chili I like.  Do you have any pictures and recipe for the rest?

8 hours ago, BigRich said:

Nice knife ;)

Yeah, but I cut myself nearly every time I use it...I admit, I’m a clod, but a finger starts bleeding when I simply look at it!  🤪