What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

52 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

43 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I just licked my phone screen.

It was just ridiculously good, fellas.

34 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Oh boy, that looks awesome!  What’s your dry brine program?

I used my beef rub, which is equal parts salt and pepper with roughly 1/4 part garlic and even less coffee grounds. For the brine I put additional  salt. 

I assure you all this is a new Easter tradition. Ive always been more of a NY strip guy than ribeye. 

• I like it 2

59 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

It was just ridiculously good, fellas.

I used my beef rub, which is equal parts salt and pepper with roughly 1/4 part garlic and even less coffee grounds. For the brine I put additional  salt. 

I assure you all this is a new Easter tradition. Ive always been more of a NY strip guy than ribeye. 

I'll expect an invite to next Easter!! I've always liked NY Strip over ribeye as well. Is it a strip roast? Not sure what that cut is called prior to becoming NY Strip steaks.

14 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I'll expect an invite to next Easter!! I've always liked NY Strip over ribeye as well. Is it a strip roast? Not sure what that cut is called prior to becoming NY Strip 

I can't remember if the sticker said NY Roast or NY Strip Roast. I got it at Costco.

If we can talk @0895into an Islay Scotch night maybe I'll smoke one for it. 

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Smoked prime NY roast as an early Easter dinner. It was fantastic. I dry brine it for about 3.5 days. 

20210403_170906.jpg

17 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I can't remember if the sticker said NY Roast or NY Strip Roast. I got it at Costco.

If we can talk @0895into an Islay Scotch night maybe I'll smoke one for it. 

IN !

Took a pre-cooked 3lb ham, applied a rub, threw it in the smoker for a couple hours, then added a glaze (brown sugar, honey, pineapple juice, dijon mustard), and tossed it back into the smoker for a bit.  So great, so much better than the original product and any normal oven-cooked ham (which I had yesterday at my parents, also good, but not as good as this!)

IMG_20210404_1637235.jpg

IMG_20210404_1815176.jpg

• I like it 1

Getting ready to turn on the Master’s and sittin’ here after barking strict orders that I am not to be bothered with anything until I finish smoking this pork butt...and this could be several hours...  😆

15F9541A-3362-4F45-BACA-FBB3D2F1CF4C.jpeg

• I like it 5

First time trying a new butcher near our new house. I like the looks of these ribs vs the super “meaty” ones you get from Costco. 

Kids don’t take any heat so a light SPOG, little paprika, and raw sugar. 

Decided to kick the training wheels and go no foil for tomorrow. So fingers crossed on that. 

Rare Breed in the glass. At @0895’s suggestion a grenade to finish. A nice end to a loooong day.

2FDF4B01-6A7A-43F0-BE92-97D53CE4D044.jpeg

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

First time trying a new butcher near our new house. I like the looks of these ribs vs the super “meaty” ones you get from Costco. 

Kids don’t take any heat so a light SPOG, little paprika, and raw sugar. 

Decided to kick the training wheels and go no foil for tomorrow. So fingers crossed on that. 

Rare Breed in the glass. At @0895’s suggestion a grenade to finish. A nice end to a loooong day.

2FDF4B01-6A7A-43F0-BE92-97D53CE4D044.jpeg

I think that once you kick the foil habit, you will never be foiled again!!!

Also try shutting down the grill and resting right there in the grill. The extra stuff just isn't necessary. The competition cooks only do those things because of time restraints...

Other than that, just call when ready. I can be there in 15 mins even tho I am hours away... 😎

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

I think that once you kick the foil habit, you will never be foiled again!!!

Also try shutting down the grill and resting right there in the grill. The extra stuff just isn't necessary. The competition cooks only do those things because of time restraints...

Other than that, just call when ready. I can be there in 15 mins even tho I am hours away... 😎

Success!  Foil is kicked. 

I like the idea of resting in a grill. 

Head on over. We’ll have a few pours.

EA59859C-15EC-4602-9A9C-30EDCE7CF034.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Dayum that looks amazing.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Without the foil, the crust is supreme and those my friend look to be perfection!!!

I'm all about the bonus pours, too!!! 😋

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, flahute said:

Dayum that looks amazing.

22 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Without the foil, the crust is supreme and those my friend look to be perfection!!!

I'm all about the bonus pours, too!!! 😋

Yeah, great results.  I think I would like a bit heavier rub and then will have to work on my spritz recipe.  I do baste with a homemade sauce for 20 min at the end.  I know its a good batch when nobody asks for any BBQ sauce on the side.

My BIL was over to move a couch and my mom to help with some garden setup.  Kids helped minimally, but we pretty much polished off a 2lb salmon fillet and all the ribs were consumed by the end of the day!  Mondays are always long and hungry as I try to make up for the weekend gorging. :)

This thread makes me so hungry.  I need to smoke something (other than a cigar) this weekend. 

14 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Yeah, great results.  I think I would like a bit heavier rub and then will have to work on my spritz recipe.  I do baste with a homemade sauce for 20 min at the end. 

I know its a good batch when nobody asks for any BBQ sauce on the side.

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!^^^^^^^^^^^ 👍

It's not a "real" complaint or suggestion if delivered with food in your mouth!!! 

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

Holy hog loin, Batman!  We cooking this pork tenderloin in a BOURBON marinade!

Gourmet magazine circa 1970 gave us this recipe.

Marinade -

0.333 cup of bourbon

0.25 cup of soy sauce (low salt if you want; we don't because the original recipe didn't)

0.25 cup of light brown sugar

1 medium sized onion (yellow? Whatever - just not scallions or green onions) finely chopped

3 TBLsp Dijon mustard

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

ONE pork tenderloin.  Or two if you hungry.

Marinate the tenderloin a couple hours at most, turn a lot before cooking.  Cook over DIRECT charcoal, covered, and turn 1/4 turn every few minutes until internal temp hits 140F AND NO MORE OR IT BE TOUGH!!  This takes maybe 15 minutes of cooking.

We've tried dozens of variations for pork tenderloin marinades and cooks and decided years ago that this one is so easy, fast, and GOOD that we no longer try other stuff.

Maybe even boil the marinade while the pork is on the grill and then use it as a sauce.

OGD BIB for me on ice for dessert. 

• I like it 2

On 4/20/2021 at 5:47 AM, BigRich said:

This thread makes me so hungry.  I need to smoke something (other than a cigar) this weekend. 

I too am feeling inspired.  I like to smoke shrimp, and I found a recipe for bacon wrapped smoked shrimp with bourbon glaze.   I already have the ingredients!  Can't wait for the weekend.

• I like it 1

Reverse seared prime NY strip on the Big Green Egg. The Misses isn't a steak fan, so I cooked burgers for her and Little Whammie on the Blackstone. Threw some cubed sweet potatoes in the oven to round out a fantastic meal. 

20210424_155926.jpg

20210424_175217.jpg

• I like it 7

• 4 weeks later...

Brisket on a Saphire.  
Also some refreshment while waiting earlier today.

460EAFB6-3DFD-4679-A06D-689A88B599B1.jpeg

EA7D9E9C-997F-4A86-8698-91E3E6DEE71F.jpeg

• I like it 7

Man I think this is my favorite thread on this site. You guys are killing it, very nicely done.

There’s nothing in this yet but here is my new to me toy. I’ve got several different grills/smokers but I can’t help myself. This thing is built like a tank

AE3206A0-9B5D-4E4C-B312-D7253265A59E.jpeg

AA74D6A3-8C82-4A63-99EA-51C0D3742DB0.jpeg

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

There’s nothing in this yet but here is my new to me toy. I’ve got several different grills/smokers but I can’t help myself. This thing is built like a tank

AE3206A0-9B5D-4E4C-B312-D7253265A59E.jpeg

AA74D6A3-8C82-4A63-99EA-51C0D3742DB0.jpeg

No, that in fact is a WWI tank... 😂