What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

On 8/31/2021 at 1:09 PM, scratchline said:

Venison pastrami.  And so it begins.  Never done this before but it looks and smells good so far.

IMG_8217.thumb.jpg.b711c03e4c596921bd73dfe2de167635.jpg

Well are you still smoking this????

haha, I kid, that looks and sounds awesome, would love to see how it turned out.

17 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Well are you still smoking this????

haha, I kid, that looks and sounds awesome, would love to see how it turned out.

It turned out pretty good.  My buddy shot and butchered the deer and if there's a next time around, I think we'll try to get the meat to a more uniform thickness, maybe like a brisket flat.  Smoked it for a little over three hours at 250 and then steamed it on a rack over a roasting pan filled with water in a 275 oven.  Sliced thin, it made a nice, if salty, sandwich.  Think I'll chop it and make hash with the left overs.

IMG_8221.thumb.jpg.e83de9c12c2881eaec39d322e88e20ce.jpg

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, scratchline said:

It turned out pretty good.  My buddy shot and butchered the deer and if there's a next time around, I think we'll try to get the meat to a more uniform thickness, maybe like a brisket flat.  Smoked it for a little over three hours at 250 and then steamed it on a rack over a roasting pan filled with water in a 275 oven.  Sliced thin, it made a nice, if salty, sandwich.  Think I'll chop it and make hash with the left overs.

Oh, that looks delicious! Nicely done! A pile of the pastrami on good fresh rye bread, some good mustard, I’m drooling.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:58 AM, scratchline said:

Looks great!

Cooked another brisket this weekend.  As I said in a  previous post, I have my process down but am now experimenting with rubs.  I used the Fire and Smoke Society Black and Tan Rub (6.95 at Walmart) for this one.  It is basically salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary.  However, the salt is an Hawaiian black salt so the brisket is black when you put it in the smoker.  We liked it a lot so I will probably use it again.

I have been a bit surprised  at the increase in beef prices.  I buy 9 lb brisket flats and the price went from $36 at the first of August to $54 at mid-August to $71 at the end of August.  

IMG_1729.thumb.jpeg.8eff8977f28e26d614568f2cb6a95197.jpeg

IMG_1728.jpeg

• I like it 3

That looks amazing Jeff. Amy has been hounding me to do a brisket. I have never done one before. Maybe soon.

5 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Cooked another brisket this weekend.  As I said in a  previous post, I have my process down but am now experimenting with rubs.  I used the Fire and Smoke Society Black and Tan Rub (6.95 at Walmart) for this one.  It is basically salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary.  However, the salt is an Hawaiian black salt so the brisket is black when you put it in the smoker.  We liked it a lot so I will probably use it again.

I have been a bit surprised  at the increase in beef prices.  I buy 9 lb brisket flats and the price went from $36 at the first of August to $54 at mid-August to $71 at the end of August.  

That looks great!  Brisket prices have shot up here to $8-$10/lb!!  I'm looking at smoking a chuck roast instead for "poor man's brisket".

18 minutes ago, Clueby said:

That looks great!  Brisket prices have shot up here to $8-$10/lb!!  I'm looking at smoking a chuck roast instead for "poor man's brisket".

Costco has prime whole packer brisket for a fair bit cheaper than that. Im not sure how much a flat is. If you don't have a Costco card but want to check them out, give me a shout. 

I smoked a chuck roast a month or so ago. It was very good. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Costco has prime whole packer brisket for a fair bit cheaper than that. Im not sure how much a flat is. If you don't have a Costco card but want to check them out, give me a shout. 

Same here.  I recently picked up a prime full packer at Costco at $3.99/lb. 

6B72D7E5-81F1-4E5D-90FB-C72211A0226F.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 9/8/2021 at 4:55 PM, JCwhammie said:

Thanks,  Yep, we are costco members.  I will have to give a chuck roast a try.  Thanks for the tip.  I typically don't look at whole brisket and go for the flats at 8-10 lbs and I get Choice not prime.  You are closer to the feed yards which may account for you lower price.

16 lb prime full packer on today.  Damn thing don’t fit my smoker, so have to drape over a rib thingee.  🤪

4A8725F0-8A60-4FCE-ACA7-0D88ADBD5F1A.jpeg

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

16 lb prime full packer on today.  Damn thing don’t fit my smoker, so have to drape over a rib thingee.  🤪

4A8725F0-8A60-4FCE-ACA7-0D88ADBD5F1A.jpeg

929E2090-5F03-4AFF-A411-2A20ABF8F874.jpeg

• I like it 3

Sexy, did it eventually reduce enough in size that you could take of the ribarator of whatever those are called?

On 9/20/2021 at 11:54 AM, HoustonNit said:

Sexy, did it eventually reduce enough in size that you could take of the ribarator of whatever those are called?

Ya know, it does reduce enough to just fit, but I just leave it on, anyway.   

Just a note to tell everyone to keep an eye on pork prices.  They discovered African Swine Fever in the Dominican Republic a few weeks ago and now in Haiti.  Haitian refugees are being caught trying to bring pork products into the US.   If ASF gets into the US swine herd, it will be devastating to the industry, and pork prices will skyrocket.  (China lost half its swine herd to ASF over the last two years  About 200 M head).  If it is detected here, I will post so anyone can stock up on Pork that desires to do so.  

• I like it 1

On 9/22/2021 at 11:53 AM, HoustonNit said:

Darn there goes all the fast food joints adding bacon to everything.

Yep if ASF becomes a widespread disease it will drive pork prices.  THE only thing worse would be an outbreak of foot and mouth disease (FMD).

• 3 weeks later...

SWMBO is gone till Tues. so I smoked up some pork steaks and a small pork loin so I only have to cook once.

20211008_171200.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's still a little early for Octoberfest, so starting the day with some Flatboat (Barton) & coffee while rolling smoke on a 4 lb. chuck roast, acorn squash, and some sweet potatoes. 

Ok...some I'm a little bored sitting out here. 🤷‍♂️

20211017_092232.jpg

20211017_091801.jpg

20211017_095021.jpg

20211017_100942.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

Not on the smoker but made smoked pork shoulder yesterday in the Instant Pot lol.  Any good recommendations for a smaller/starter smoker?  I have very little deck space but would love to start doing this.

57 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Not on the smoker but made smoked pork shoulder yesterday in the Instant Pot lol.  Any good recommendations for a smaller/starter smoker?  I have very little deck space but would love to start doing this.

For a starter pellet grill that you can smoke on, I've heard good things about the Expert Grill at Walmart.  They are getting blown out for as low as $100.

I'm looking at getting one of the Masterbuilt 560 gravity charcoal smokers but for now I'm using my bigger offset smoker. I love the smoke it gives but it's a LOT of work.

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

A Weber kettle makes a good little smoker. Get a SNS, or use a charcoal basket (included with some newer kettles), or just bank the charcoal off to one side and add your favorite wood chunks to create direct and indirect heat zones on the kettle.

• I like it 2