What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

15 hours ago, Mattk said:

So I need a follow-up on this one...

Yessir! Hopefully this looks well enuff! Turned out great! As you can see, we already had chunks with our Bourbon. 

IMG_20221012_181524589.jpg

• I like it 4

On 9/14/2022 at 10:00 PM, Clueby said:

I feel like I post too much in this thread!

After a truly horrible last couple of days, I was home early this afternoon and made a nice dinner for Mrs. Clueby and I. We needed some relatively quiet time to just sit and have dinner and a drink.

Smoked a couple NY Strips for an hour or so at 225 and then seared them off st 700. Served with some "home fries" and a kale and greens salad. Had some home made chocolate chip banana bread that I made over the weekend and a pour of Blanton's Gold for dessert.

20220914_182151.jpg

20220914_184638.jpg

20220914_185709.jpg

That's some good work right there. 

• I like it 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:38 AM, Sven Heuchert said:

Yessir! Hopefully this looks well enuff! Turned out great! As you can see, we already had chunks with our Bourbon. 

IMG_20221012_181524589.jpg

Dayum that looks amazing.

• I like it 1

I was lazy and used a store bought mustard based rub on these baby backs, so not sure what to expect.

They came out great!

20221016_165932.jpg

• I like it 1

My posts in this thread all look the same.

Had a few beers I found stashed away with dinner. See the "what beer..." thread.

20221017_181119.jpg

20221017_184547.jpg

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, Clueby said:

My posts in this thread all look the same.

Had a few beers I found stashed away with dinner. See the "what beer..." thread.

Here @Clueby, hold this for me. 😠

Biba! Joe

21 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Here @Clueby, hold this for me. 😠

Biba! Joe

I'll trade a steak for some homemade potato soup or chili!

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I'll trade a steak for some homemade potato soup or chili!

Hmmmmm. 🤔 Potato soup recipe below. My wife adds an 8 oz package of cubed Kentucky Legend ham and some chopped celery.  :P Oops. Almost forgot. Use a six quart crock pot, and double the recipe except for the chicken broth. 😉

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.1085ed529971bff48c3aeceee06bc217.jpeg

• I like it 4

Got a Yoder YS640 for my birthday. Initial cook today. Just a pork loin from Costco. Cheap and fast. 

Seasoned with:

Brown mustard binder

Killer Hogs all purpose rub (didn't have any Lawrys season salt which I would have used instead)

Coarse pepper fresh ground

Ancho chilli pepper powder

Chipotle powder

Spritz:

Equal parts apple juice & apple cider vinegar

Put loin in the Yoder (straight from fridge) on the top rack (before starting up the smoker)

Started the Yoder up

Lit a smoke tube with combo of wood chips and pellets

Set Yoder to 180

Cook until internal temp is 120 (about 2.5 hours)

Spritz a couple times

Increase Yoder to 450 (will hit 500) until internal temp is 145 - this put a nice char the outside (about 30 minutes)

Rest 15 minutes 

Easy, peasy....total time about 3.5 hours start to finish...all temp and notifications done via my phone.

Turned out great!! Smoke flavor was much better that anticipated given all the challenges Ive read about with pellet smokers not imparting a lot of smoke flavor.

9355C497-5B0E-4FD1-8DC7-84910DC65910.heic E5849079-3F7C-460B-949C-3FA686649193.heic

• I like it 4

Trader Joe's grilled ahi tuna steaks.  I love this time of year - moldy leaves, nippy air, and colors reminding me of whiskeys.  Old Ezra 101 7 YR comes to mind.  Alas, I have only a half a 750 left.  I used up "used" Kingsford charcoal briquettes (which burn quicker but slightly cooler than regular briquettes so they are PERFECT for grilling fish).  About five minutes per side to cook to medium rare.

Cooked on a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center sitting on a fibreglass welder's blanket (to prevent additional burns on the deck).  Note all those leaves - they will be pushed off the deck in the next couple weeks and will fertilize fifty year old rhododendrons.

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another couple strips on the smoker.  Used pecan/mesquite infused charcoal and strips from a mini barrel that was used to barrel age a Manhattan. These are the last strips out of the whole strip roast I bought. 

Had some Founder's French Toast Bastard while cooking. Delicious!! A barrel aged WSR Old Fashioned with dinner. 

20221106_175454.jpg

20221106_152630.jpg

20221106_180105.jpg

20221106_151237.jpg

• I like it 4

Just saw a news item where a woman went into a bbq joint in North Carolina and raised a ruckus over pink meat. No one could convince her that it was a smoke ring and not undercooked.   She called 911 to report the “undercooked” meat as a health concern. 

Smoked a tri-tip for the first time.  It was a big hit with others, though personally I think I still prefer just doing a brisket on one hand or a beef tenderloin on the other.   But it's an economical, quick smoke, that's for sure.

PXL_20221121_002024667.jpg

PXL_20221121_002047925.jpg

• I like it 6

A few years ago I moved up Thanksgiving to the Sunday before. It works for our family because we like to go to the desert for the long weekend. I’m the house cook so I like to stay at hotels for the long weekend and have other people serve my food and cocktails.  With the addition of the World Cup this is going to be a fun weekend. Can’t wait for England vs. USA. 

63834F5A-D9BD-4DD8-A01E-078802CBE365.jpeg

• I like it 4

I was wondering if everyone grills year round.  For me, I struggled using a charcoal smoker when temps dropped below 20.  Now that I have been using a pellet smoker with a blanket, this is no longer an issues.  I did choose not to smoke this weekend while our snow event (24 inches of snow)was in progress. Not so much because of the snow but more because of the wind (~40 mph). 

IMG_2475.thumb.jpeg.37f9dda47c6076c6665496dd57a6ed1b.jpeg

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, dcbt said:

Smoked a tri-tip for the first time.  It was a big hit with others, though personally I think I still prefer just doing a brisket on one hand or a beef tenderloin on the other.   But it's an economical, quick smoke, that's for sure.

PXL_20221121_002024667.jpg

PXL_20221121_002047925.jpg

Do you smoke it the entire time, or smoke, then sear?

It looks perfectly cooked.

I started cooking them, a couple years ago.  It's an odd cut, to me anyway, but I feel that they benefit from a dry-brine and/or a decent peppery rub.

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Do you smoke it the entire time, or smoke, then sear?

It looks perfectly cooked.

I started cooking them, a couple years ago.  It's an odd cut, to me anyway, but I feel that they benefit from a dry-brine and/or a decent peppery rub.

Smoked to about 117 degrees, then seared it for 6 minutes total.  I also did brine it for about 20 hours in salt / sugar / rub / water solution (so not a dry brine, though).

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Smoked to about 117 degrees, then seared it for 6 minutes total.  I also did brine it for about 20 hours in salt / sugar / rub / water solution (so not a dry brine, though).

That's pretty much the same thing I do, except for the wet brine part.

It looks great!

21 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

I was wondering if everyone grills year round. 

I do not and it doesn't get nearly as cold here.  My last grill/smoke is usually the smoked turkey breast for Thanksgiving (along with a roasted whole bird).  Then I hit pause until early spring. Basically a no for Dec-Feb unless there is a warm weekend in there somewhere.  

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

I do not and it doesn't get nearly as cold here.  My last grill/smoke is usually the smoked turkey breast for Thanksgiving (along with a roasted whole bird).  Then I hit pause until early spring. Basically a no for Dec-Feb unless there is a warm weekend in there somewhere.  

I certainly understand that. Having grown up in Louisiana, we would stop grilling at the first cold snap until the dogwoods bloomed in April.  After I moved to Michigan, we enjoyed it so much that I started trying to do it year round.  Tying to control my team with charcoal was too difficult but the pellet smoker solved my problem.  I would recommend being the blanket for you smoker if your manufacturer makes one.  Otherwise, you can expect to feed it a lot more pellets.

I use a mix of pecan and hickory for all my smoking.

22 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

I was wondering if everyone grills year round.  For me, I struggled using a charcoal smoker when temps dropped below 20.  Now that I have been using a pellet smoker with a blanket, this is no longer an issues.  I did choose not to smoke this weekend while our snow event (24 inches of snow)was in progress. Not so much because of the snow but more because of the wind (~40 mph). 

Except for the uncommon ice storm, it's fair game year-round in these parts.  But our outdoor kitchen is also entirely covered so that helps a ton obviously.  The wind is the biggest hindrance but even then the layout of the house blocks a lot of that.

Edited by dcbt