What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

I buy most of my flats from Costco and am still seeing some variation in tenderness (grade is not necessarily an indication of tenderness).  For my convenience, I usually  put my briskets on at 10 pm at 220 then when they hit 160 or so (usually around 6-7 am), I wrap in paper and increase the temp to 275.  I reach 205-207 around 9-10 am.

Sorry, i need to correct. I rarely buy full packers.  Usually I buy flats.  I am looking at moving to full packers as the cost per pound is much lower.

Smoked a pork loin roast. It took way longer than expected but probably because of using the pan with the beer under it.

20230226_132933.jpg

• I like it 2

On 2/22/2023 at 8:32 AM, smokinjoe said:

I purchase prime full packers from Costco and every single one has been great.  I run my briskets hot. =/>275 for entire smoke.  6-7 hrs from on to eating for 13 pounder.  Time varies just due to time I leave it resting while I get the sides ready.  

Same.

It's just the Missus and I, so I look for smaller ones, but most of them are 11+ lbs in our neck of the woods.

Do you trim much fat off them? 

I tend to trim a lot of the fat between the flat & point.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

I smoked a couple small point and flat corned beef. Only thing as a rub was fresh ground pepper...maybe a bit too much. I figured it already had enough salt.  Smoked at 225 till they stalled around 160, wrapped them in a foil pan with some beef tallow and a little bourbon and some stout beer. Brought them up to 203 and then put inside in a toaster oven and held at 150 for a couple hours.

The taste was awesome but the texture wasn't like a regular smoked brisket or even a crock pot corned beef. Was a lot firmer. Had a definite pastrami flavor. I think I'm going to try and slice it really thin and try and steam it for dinner tomorrow night.

The smoking wood was oak from a barrel aged Manhattan barrel.

20230319_095446.jpg

20230319_173548.jpg

• I like it 3

Took what was left of the flat, sliced as thin as I could, and steamed it. Was like really good pastrami. 

20230320_183733.jpg

• I like it 3

Argentine chorizo and morcilla.  Dunno if there are any blood sausage fans here but, oh my, there's nothing better!  Unless maybe it's sweetbreads!  The chimmichurri was all wrong though.  Can't have it all.

IMG_0779.thumb.jpg.bd850258d1155e14b1775c3e0e5002c3.jpg

• I like it 2

On 12/9/2022 at 5:32 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Poor Man's brisket, yesterday.

What exactly makes this poor man's brisket?  I think I'd pay a lot for that.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, scratchline said:

What exactly makes this poor man's brisket?  I think I'd pay a lot for that.

😅

Thanks!

It's a Chuck roast. They used to be cheap.

• I like it 1

Can't wait to roll the Yoder out...its still like winter here around Chicago...I'm a fair weather smokerB)

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Can't wait to roll the Yoder out...its still like winter here around Chicago...I'm a fair weather smokerB)

Same here. It was mid 70s here in GA. this afternoon. Took the boat out for a spin while the smoker was working. 

Smoked some baby backs to celebrate Opening Day. I've cooked some pretty darn good ribs in my day, but I think these are my best yet. 

413D8CD7-C434-4614-BA91-34862A53C7C1.jpeg

• I like it 7

• 2 weeks later...

Double smoked Easter ham. I had some BT bourbon cream and cold brew while making this delightful treat. 

60006EEA-9E25-4998-8A45-B3B35DBD3301.jpeg

• I like it 3

I love BT bourbon cream and coffee.  Have it at least a couple of times a week, even if I'm not grilling.

• I like it 2

I was, (am😉) feeling lazy today and gave the Akorn Auto Kamado an easy workout today. 

She held temp beautifully. 

20230416_170702.jpg

20230416_170725.jpg

Screenshot_20230416-165908_Char-Griller.jpg

• I like it 1

As good as I can get to a real Chicago dog.  😋😋

AE75888A-5FD2-4DCA-800E-1FC430060E40.jpeg

• I like it 6

Another Sunday, another smoker day. Last weekend I smoked chicken legs, a 4lb pork belly, a couple ribeyes, and a NY strip. That was pretty much a whole week of lunches and dinners.

Today, I threw on a couple HUGE ribeyes and smoked them on 225 till they hit about 100. Cranked it up and seared them off to medium rare. Mrs. Clueby and I didn't even finish one of them for dinner.  Had a barrel aged Manhattan while cooking and with dinner. Used the barrel it aged in to smoke the meat.

20230423_172425.jpg

20230423_173157.jpg

20230423_182043.jpg

20230423_182508.jpg

• I like it 6

Got my Yoder YS640 late last fall and only had 2 cooks in it. Rolled it out yesterday for the first smoke of 2023. I’ve nailed wings countless times on my WSM, so I thought they’d be a snap on a pellet grill. Welp,  they turned out looking nice in the picture but we’re overcooked and tough. Learned some lessons though. Still a novice on the Yoder. 

B6F11BB3-8CC1-44A1-97EA-BB3CD63AFAD4.jpeg

• I like it 3

haven't done a brisket in a while so I did one this weekend.  A 9 lb flat from Costco.  I put it on at 10 pm Friday night at 220.  It was at 170 at 7 am the following morning.  Wrapped it in butcher paper and then turned the temp up to 275.  It hit 206 at Noon. Let it rest for 2 h then sliced it.  Turned out well.  One thing I did change was I used Meat Church Holy cow rub rather than the Black and Tan rub.  I like the latter but the Rosemary can be too strong.  I really like the Holy Cow  and will use it in the future.  Paired it with a  Jacob's Creek rum finished cab-shiraz blend that we picked  up on our recent trip to Australia.  IT was nice and the rum influence was very subtle but it tended to be sweeter than we liked.  Opened a bottle of the Scotch  Whiskey finished wine (same blend/source) and liked it much better with the brisket.  I have found a source of both of these in the US.

IMG_2840.thumb.jpeg.410aad71ce364598128431b990c22f38.jpegIMG_2841.thumb.jpeg.8d4ab6352649801d12e45cf4c5c2441a.jpeg

• I like it 5

I don't know how you guys have the self control for photos.  I'm always halfway through eating before taking a photo even pops in my head.  I got some fat strips from Costco and did 1 1/2 hour at 180 on the Traeger and then did a reverse sear and butter baste on the stop.  Best strips I've ever made.  Paired with baked potatoes, sautéed asparagus, and a Venge cab on Saturday.  

• I like it 4

23 hours ago, BigRich said:

I don't know how you guys have the self control for photos.  I'm always halfway through eating before taking a photo even pops in my head.  I got some fat strips from Costco and did 1 1/2 hour at 180 on the Traeger and then did a reverse sear and butter baste on the stop.  Best strips I've ever made.  Paired with baked potatoes, sautéed asparagus, and a Venge cab on Saturday.  

I tend to forget to snap photos often.  Mostly with my short cook items. I don't have as much of an issue with my long cooks (Ribs, Pork butt, brisket).  

BTW, it is snowing today in SW Michigan.  Spring, what Spring?

Work from home day today so threw a few racks on the egg. That perfect mahogany we really like on our ribs! 

9FD10B73-054C-4532-BE74-12478DD02A6A.jpeg

Edited by Jam
Pic format
  • I like it 4

Lamb chops for me.....steak for the Missus.    Reverse seared on the kettle.

lambchopssteak.jpg

• I like it 3

On 4/16/2023 at 7:50 PM, smokinjoe said:

As good as I can get to a real Chicago dog.  😋😋

AE75888A-5FD2-4DCA-800E-1FC430060E40.jpeg

Did better.  Marconi Sport Peppers. 

A8D82D72-805D-4D15-8146-E223AF0EE793.jpeg

• I like it 2