What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

On 9/21/2023 at 9:04 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

You can always tell an experienced griller, when he blames the wife for grill marks.   I do the same! 😅

That looks cooked to perfection.  Great job!

How's that Summit treating you?   I own 9 webers, (5 kettles and 3 gassers),  an Akorn Kamado.  The Summit is on the list.....

Belated thanks.  I love my Summit, albeit expensive new.  I burned through a heavily modified (and ancient) Brinkmann smoker about the same time a tree fell on my oversized Patio oval grill so I popped for the WSCG to replace both.  The WSCG has been discontinued, but Weber's "Kamado" is basically the same thing - a little deeper.  Even though it is all metal (no ceramic), the double layers keep in the heat well even in winter and in wind, and I've found that long smokes (12 hours for brisket)  can be handled without reloading if I use the Minion method of stacking the coals.  The thing maintains temp, once you reach it and stabilize it, beautifully.  It takes me about a half hour to reach temp and stabilize, then I set my alarm thermo and "walk away".  EDIT - I only walk away when smoking a meat chunk, not from grilling a meat slab.  Just to be clear.:huh:

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Belated thanks.  I love my Summit, albeit expensive new.  I burned through a heavily modified (and ancient) Brinkmann smoker about the same time a tree fell on my oversized Patio oval grill so I popped for the WSCG to replace both.  The WSCG has been discontinued, but Weber's "Kamado" is basically the same thing - a little deeper.  Even though it is all metal (no ceramic), the double layers keep in the heat well even in winter and in wind, and I've found that long smokes (12 hours for brisket)  can be handled without reloading if I use the Minion method of stacking the coals.  The thing maintains temp, once you reach it and stabilize it, beautifully.  It takes me about a half hour to reach temp and stabilize, then I set my alarm thermo and "walk away".  EDIT - I only walk away when smoking a meat chunk, not from grilling a meat slab.  Just to be clear.:huh:

Nice!  

I have a cheapo *Akorn Auto Kamado, (and have had it about a year now) which is also metal.  I'm still learning my way around a Kamado style grill but I've been happy so far with it.    I'm not sure what type of thermometers and timers, etc., that you use, but Thermoworks is having their 12 days of Christmas sale and there are some great deals to be had.   If you're anything like me, you can't have a enough thermometers🤣 

*they go on sale twice a year at Wally World for $232.00 including shipping and even has an automatic temp controller w/fan that's integrated.   

• I like it 1

On 12/10/2023 at 10:09 PM, Clueby said:

It came out pretty good even if I fell on the deck while cooking. No I hadn't been drinking (much!) and Mrs. Clueby came running to the rescue. The meat and my ribs both survived. A chair broke my fall.

So I was brushing my hair this morning and saw this in the bathroom mirror. No wonder my elbow hurt. The pains we endure for grilling. 🤣

20231212_194328.jpg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

So I was brushing my hair this morning and saw this in the bathroom mirror. No wonder my elbow hurt. The pains we endure for grilling. 🤣

20231212_194328.jpg

YOUCH!   How the heck did you manage to do THAT!?!?!?    It loox like a really bad (BIG!) bruise.

On 12/12/2023 at 7:47 PM, Clueby said:

20231212_194328.jpg

Did you say the chair broke your fall or did you break the chair in your fall?  Ouch!!

On 12/12/2023 at 6:19 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Nice!  

I have a cheapo *Akorn Auto Kamado, (and have had it about a year now) which is also metal.  I'm still learning my way around a Kamado style grill but I've been happy so far with it.    I'm not sure what type of thermometers and timers, etc., that you use, but Thermoworks is having their 12 days of Christmas sale and there are some great deals to be had.   If you're anything like me, you can't have a enough thermometers🤣 

*they go on sale twice a year at Wally World for $232.00 including shipping and even has an automatic temp controller w/fan that's integrated.   

RE: thermometers.  Years ago when I was thumb-press/flex vs. thermo for testing rib doneness, I ruined two racks of ribs by leaving them on too long.  Wife bought me a Brookstone "Grill Alert" talking thermometer - LOUD!  It worked up to about a year ago.  Several years before its demise, I did upgrade with a Thermoworks TW 362B which had replaceable probes and wasn't as loud.  I still use it.  Bought a ThermoQ (double probes) in case I ever needed to track dome temp AND meat temp  Of course, I have severall Thermopens, and my wife has her own which she likes better than her candy thermos, Taylor thermos, etc.  I did get a Thermoworks Smoke for Christmas (from me to me with greatest love and affection) but have never used it.  Maybe if that 362B crumps . . . OR, if I ever cook multiple butts or briskets.  And, yeah, the Thermoworks items were ALL "on sale" whi9ch is why I have them.  Also, I keep a Kintrex infrared thermo (IR70421) for checking grill level temp when doing veggies, shrimp, fish fillets, etc.  It's a help when making sure I don't scorch them.

• I like it 1

For those of you who like me enjoy a good brisket, I read something the other day regarding the fat in brisket.  It seems that if you cook your brisket properly and render the fat, that the fat that is left is primarily oleic acid which is one of the good fats.  So the next time someone tells you that brisket is bad for you, just smile knowingly and open another beer.

• I like it 3

Today, 21 DEC 2023, is an American Buffalo Day.  Basic BT neat in a glass while I grilled a bison "ranch" steak.  Once the fire got super hot, it took about 3 minutes per side for the 3/4 inch thick slab to reach 125 degrees F.  Didn't even have time for the second slug of my two ounce pour.  Grilled zucchini and half a baked potato with onion dip sour cream followed by chocolate cake completed the meal.  Made up for the lack of BT earlier by finishing an old vine Zin with dinner and then sipping on more BT while doing dishes.  AND while typing this.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
SPELLAGE MISTAKES per usuall.
  • I like it 5

Candied pork belly burnt ends on Christmas Eve and a double smoked ham on Christmas. Both were fantastic. 

IMG_5429.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Candied pork belly burnt ends on Christmas Eve and a double smoked ham on Christmas. Both were fantastic. 

IMG_5429.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg

Oh Man!!!!!!!!!   You're making me drool all over my laptop!

• I like it 1

Smoked a ham yesterday for our tailgate today.  Coated it with mustard and a brown sugar and rub mix and smoked low over lump with pecan, apple & cherry wood.

The pic is 2 1/2  hrs into the cook. I spritzed it with OJ and coated it with more of the brown sugar, wrapped and took it to 140°.

I'm going to slice it and serve it up on Kings Hawaiian slider rolls with a variety of mustards.

IMG_0119.jpg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Smoked a ham yesterday for our tailgate today.  Coated it with mustard and a brown sugar and rub mix and smoked low over lump with pecan, apple & cherry wood.

The pic is 2 1/2  hrs into the cook. I spritzed it with OJ and coated it with more of the brown sugar, wrapped and took it to 140°.

I'm going to slice it and serve it up on Kings Hawaiian slider rolls with a variety of mustards.

IMG_0119.jpg

The key here is the variety of mustards. I smoked a ham last week and had a few different mustard options. 

It sounds like your crew will be well fed and bourboned to numb the viewing experience. The visiting team is no joke and probably motivated. 

I smoked my first ever prime rib today. Horseradish sauce, homemade mashed potatoes, green beans, and some black eyed peas for luck. 

20240101_183020.jpg

20240101_182611.jpg

20240101_172812.jpg

• I like it 7

We had juicy ribeye steaks and black-eyed peas for supper tonight.  Note that I said "supper" which is the term my family used when I was just a little tot.  Somehow through the years by accident I've adopted the term "dinner" for the last meal of the day, but I'm not sure I'm fine with that.  I might have to start calling it supper again, just because I'm not sure I accept why we started calling it dinner.  Nobody asked me why before they changed it. 

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

20 hours ago, Clueby said:

I smoked my first ever prime rib today. Horseradish sauce, homemade mashed potatoes, green beans, and some black eyed peas for luck. 

20240101_183020.jpg

20240101_182611.jpg

20240101_172812.jpg

That looks amazing and cooked just right!!

Did you make the horseradish sauce? About twice a year I grind fresh horseradish and I swear I need a respirator mask.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Did you make the horseradish sauce? About twice a year I grind fresh horseradish and I swear I need a respirator mask.

Prost!!  Phil 

I made the horseradish sauce but I bought prepared horseradish.  Was just the horseradish, sour cream, s&p, parsley, apple cider vinegar, and a splash of Worcestershire.

3 hours ago, Phil T said:

Prost!!  Phil 

Phil, Phil, Phil!   Do you not know the trick to getting horseradish ground, chopped, sliced... prepared any way you want it without suffering the watering eyes, burning nostrils, or throat we all hate????

Hint: You do have a wife, no?   Simply threaten to cut her off from sex and see how quickly she's grinding up that stuff, my friend!   Easy-Peasy!

On 1/2/2024 at 8:54 PM, Richnimrod said:

Phil, Phil, Phil!   Do you not know the trick to getting horseradish ground, chopped, sliced... prepared any way you want it without suffering the watering eyes, burning nostrils, or throat we all hate????

Hint: You do have a wife, no?   Simply threaten to cut her off from sex and see how quickly she's grinding up that stuff, my friend!   Easy-Peasy!

Rich, Rich, Rich!! Silly boy. My wife was cutting up a red onion for a Christmas salad and was pissed because I didn't help her! She struggled getting it done. No way would she do horseradish. Hell, I don't want to do it, but I do.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't done this is a while but it was warm enough today even if I was still standing in snow.

A few NY Strips.  The third one in the pack I was a little confused by its cut. They all came off the same whole strip so...🤷‍♂️.

A little Lawry's, some pink Himalayan salt, and pepper. Smoked with Manhattan barrel chunks then seared.

My temp probe went out so I got them closer to medium than med rare but still tasted. Served up with some mashed sweet taters.

A barrel aged Old Fashioned for the cook.

20240218_153032.jpg

20240218_175447.jpg

• I like it 2

I can feel my Gastrin level skyrocketing as I type this. Those look awesome.