What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Given that we are in BBQ season I thought it would be fun to see what everyone has coming off their smokers..... pictures always are appreciated....

This past weekend a few buddies and I cooked at an event called DizzyFest in Virgina ... an EggFest put on by Dizzy Pig BBQ. It was a great time with 300+ folks in attendance. We made several things but the hit of the day was a 25 pound beef shoulder smoked up on the BGE at 225F for 24 hours. I injected it, rubbed it up with Dizzy Pig Cow lick and foiled at 152F and pulled it at 195F. After we rested it for about 5 hours in a Cambro we pulled the beef directly off the cooked shoulder, dipped it in the pan juices and put it on a bun with some horseradish sauce..... good eating!!!

So what's cooking on your smoker?

post-1354-14489817990562_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489817990989_thumb.jpg

After gettin a BBQ education at the Sampler Took the plunge and bought a Weber Smokey Mtn smoker.

Inaugural cook last weekend with 16 lb pork shoulder. Smoked for 18 hours and then wrapped in foil for 3 hours before pulling.

Unbelievably great and moist BBQ.

Only problem was amount of bourbon consumed in process. Made for a ROUGH!!! Monday morning:lol:

After gettin a BBQ education at the Sampler Took the plunge and bought a Weber Smokey Mtn smoker.

Inaugural cook last weekend with 16 lb pork shoulder. Smoked for 18 hours and then wrapped in foil for 3 hours before pulling.

Only problem was amount of bourbon consumed in process. Made for a ROUGH!!! Monday morning:lol:

Bill, Thad was just kidding when he said one pour of WLW per pound!!! :D

Bill, Thad was just kidding when he said one pour of WLW per pound!!! :D

No he wasn't. That's just how Big Thad rolls!:grin:

I posted about this salmon on SB the other day. This is the most recent meal off my smoker. Just tails and bellies seasoned with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and Raging River, maple syrup and demerera sugar.

post-645-14489817991421_thumb.jpg

I am going to continue my trek with brisket.... grabbed a CAB and a good looking "choice" graded one... curious to see the differences once cooked. CAB will hit the grate tomorrow....

Be interested to see how they compare Reid.

What's been your take on Angus beef in general? Substance or marketing?

Be interested to see how they compare Reid.

What's been your take on Angus beef in general? Substance or marketing?

Last weekend I did 6 racks of St Louis ribs (Johnny Trigg style) and a 17 lb brisket. I should have gotten a smaller brisket since I had to finish the brisket in the oven to meet my serving time... :)

I snapped pics of the prepped brisket and one when I put it on the smoker but then the rigors (read bourbon and cigar) of an all night cook took its toll and I didn't take any more pics.

Everything turned out great except for a temperature spike about 3/4 through the cook that resulted in the ribs on the bottom rack to get a little dark around the edges. But still darned tasty.

Last weekend I did 6 racks of St Louis ribs (Johnny Trigg style) and a 17 lb brisket. I should have gotten a smaller brisket since I had to finish the brisket in the oven to meet my serving time... :)

I snapped pics of the prepped brisket and one when I put it on the smoker but then the rigors (read bourbon and cigar) of an all night cook took its toll and I didn't take any more pics.

Everything turned out great except for a temperature spike about 3/4 through the cook that resulted in the ribs on the bottom rack to get a little dark around the edges. But still darned tasty.

Mike. What type of brisket do you cook?

Welcome to another obsession Bill :cool:. Just got done assembling a new 22 inch WSM to go along with my well worn 18.5. And contrary to my reputation it's beer only during the smoke and bourbon after...you know, patience has its virtues :lol:.

I cooked a couple of racks of St. Louis cut spares this afternoon on my WSM. I got busy doing some other things and really didn't monitor the heat too well and they cooked too quickly. They tasted great (sprayed them with bourbon when I put them in foil so what would you expect)...but they were "fall of the bone" tender rather than competition standard ribs.

Two racks of baby backs, a salmon filet, and waiting for the shoulder to finish. Two cigars so far. Great Father's day.

Welcome to another obsession Bill :cool:. Just got done assembling a new 22 inch WSM to go along with my well worn 18.5. And contrary to my reputation it's beer only during the smoke and bourbon after...you know, patience has its virtues :lol:.

Way to go Thad!!

I cooked a couple of racks of St. Louis cut spares this afternoon on my WSM. I got busy doing some other things and really didn't monitor the heat too well and they cooked too quickly. They tasted great (sprayed them with bourbon when I put them in foil so what would you expect)...but they were "fall of the bone" tender rather than competition standard ribs.

Tom, most comp. cooks like the food they do in the backyard bett than their turn in meat in most cases.

results from Sunday

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13692[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13693[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13694[/ATTACH]

Lookin real good J

Hidden

last saturday I cooked 10 pork butts, a pan of beans and a few racks of ribs for the help. didn't take any pictures, but if I had - would look something like thispost-3137-14489818004578_thumb.jpg

post-3137-14489818004033_thumb.jpg

post-3137-14489818004169_thumb.jpg

Since you asked...last Saturday cooked 10 pork butts, a pan of beans and a couple of racks of ribs for the help. Didn't take any pictures

Cooked for a small party Sat nite and a large one next week when I'm scheduled to work and some extra for the freezer. Pulled the pork, vacuum packed and quick cooled in ice bath and put in freezer. It will reheat in an electric roaster and taste like it just came off of the fire.

Since you asked...last Saturday cooked 10 pork butts, a pan of beans and a couple of racks of ribs for the help. Didn't take any pictures

Cooked for a small party Sat nite and a large one next week when I'm scheduled to work and some extra for the freezer. Pulled the pork, vacuum packed and quick cooled in ice bath and put in freezer. It will reheat in an electric roaster and taste like it just came off of the fire.

Do you feel the ice bath is the way to go if you are going to freeze? Do you ice bath right off the smoker? Thanks

Hi folks. I got a DPP Fat 50 smoker. My cooking got much better the day I got that smoker. I just smoked 70 pounds of pork butts for my nephew's graduation party two weeks ago. I also did two racks of St. Louis ribs (I also use the Johnny Trigg method) and some ABT's. I got tons of compliments on the pulled pork. I used a few techniques that I learned at a bbq cooking class that I attended last year and my pulled pork has certainly taken a few steps forward. I have been pleased with the results.

I'm new here so I will try to post some pics and see how they post.

post-8680-14489818008178_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008398_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008619_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008055_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008287_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008507_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008055_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008178_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008287_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008398_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008507_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489818008619_thumb.jpg

Do you feel the ice bath is the way to go if you are going to freeze? Do you ice bath right off the smoker? Thanks

The ice bath worked great. I packed the pulled pork into about 5 lb bags, and I wanted them cooled quickly. After a couple of hours in a cooler full of ice and water they were cold and ready for the freezer.

Sure don't want to risk getting people sick

I always let the butts sit in a Cambro for a couple of hours after I take them from the smoker... then pull. We chilled the meat as we pulled it.

Just picked up two slabs of Berkshire baby back ribs...just a tad over 3 pounds of meat for 3 people. Any good rubs or bourbon recipes I can incorporate? Haven't had a chance to light up my Weber Smokey Mountain since last fall, so I'm really looked forward to inhaling some of that nice smokey pork goodness. Oh, and I have a bag of apple wood and a bag of mesquite. Any strong opinions on either?