What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

^That steak looks fantastic.

Thanks.  Yea, it took years of trial and error but finally have 'perfected' it.  As close to high-end steakhouse as I can get it, not QUITE there, but many tiers over the TxL&Cs of the restaurant world.

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I looked up these beans when you posted, there great doing another batch now. Thanks for sharing.

We do a lot of bbq baked beans living in KC, so those Santa Maria beans are a great change of pace.  Glad you liked them. 

8 hours ago, dcbt said:

Capture.JPG.124858a14f0cc3802ce6b448f3628fc6.JPG

after.JPG

Capture.JPG

That is beautiful! Feels like I just ate, again!

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a "Nice Butt" this past weekend!!! In fact I enjoyed it...

627829230_nicebutt.thumb.jpg.acb50b6aa1f8775ec258757295595af7.jpg

The bark was crackling good...

pull.thumb.jpg.d17b046068604d543a15ab7b00fcea26.jpg

Topped the sandwich with Bulliet Barrel Proof infused bbq sauce and added a generous portion of a spicy mango, pickled pepper sauce slaw. My Wife's potato salad rounded out the deal...

plate.jpg.024fd3fe0d4ec9fdd0f65bfc548f90e6.jpg

After the fact I had a ECBP followed by a Weller Antique for desert...

• 3 weeks later...

After getting back from a trip to St Lucia, I was missing the jerk chicken that was a staple for lunch.  Got a bunch of leg quarters seasoned up and let marinate for a day plus.  

Started them in the smoke using lump charcoal and some apple logs, and let them gently smoke for a couple hours.  I put them on a separate grate over a pan to catch drippings, because the St Lucia version was served with a sauce/gravy that really made the meal.  

Moved the whole chicken/pan setup to the gas grill to finish with hotter, but still indirect, heat.

Served with homegrown green beans and sauteed balsamic butternut squash.  And a neat pour of Foursquare 2004. 20180713_185715-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.197dda2f442e8c30a20e8a07fb886867.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

After getting back from a trip to St Lucia, I was missing the jerk chicken that was a staple for lunch.  Got a bunch of leg quarters seasoned up and let marinate for a day plus.  

Started them in the smoke using lump charcoal and some apple logs, and let them gently smoke for a couple hours.  I put them on a separate grate over a pan to catch drippings, because the St Lucia version was served with a sauce/gravy that really made the meal.  

Moved the whole chicken/pan setup to the gas grill to finish with hotter, but still indirect, heat.

Served with homegrown green beans and sauteed balsamic butternut squash.  And a neat pour of Foursquare 2004.

How'd the chicken turn out?  The Caribbean is my favorite place on Earth, and the jerk chicken is always one of those things I miss most (along with the simplest of simple, yet freshest of fresh, daiquiris - fruit, rum, done).  But despite several jerk recipes I can never seem to make one I'd repeat.  If you liked yours, you mind sharing your seasoning / marinade mix?

9 hours ago, dcbt said:

How'd the chicken turn out?  The Caribbean is my favorite place on Earth, and the jerk chicken is always one of those things I miss most (along with the simplest of simple, yet freshest of fresh, daiquiris - fruit, rum, done).  But despite several jerk recipes I can never seem to make one I'd repeat.  If you liked yours, you mind sharing your seasoning / marinade mix?

Turned out great.  A little more heat than the St Lucia version, but will make again for sure.

I used Walkerswood brand Jamaican jerk, which is a wet rub in a jar.  I mixed a couple tablespoons of this with 1/4 cup veg oil in a bowl and stirred well.  I've used this for years on waterfowl in the smoker, so it's where I started on the chicken...

The leg quarters are always fatty, and cause grill flareups, so I cleaned them up a bunch, but left the skin on.  

To season, take a teaspoon or two of the mixture, peel back the skin, and rub thoroughly under all parts of the skin.  Put the skin back in place, flip over and add more.  Then a small amount rubbed over the entire outside.  Put the chicken carefully in a ziplock (keeping skin in place to hold in seasoning).  Add a bit of water to dilute any leftover mixture still in the bowl (or dilute more from the jar), pour diluted into ziplock with the chicken, and store in fridge for at least 24 hrs.

As mentioned before, I captured drippings in a foil pan and whisked a teaspoon of the jar seasoning in.  Dribble a spoonful across the chicken as you serve.

I am experimenting with different brands of jerk.  I also have Busha Brown's and a St Lucian brand called Baron's.  The various Baron's products (hot pepper sauce, banana ketchup, etc) were used extensively at the resort, so I'm hoping it's a match to their recipe.

Edited by gurgalunas

I'm not sold on IW Harper 15 year, but as an overnight marinade, it makes a wonderful Bourbon Chicken Wings delight...

1073496186_iwwings.thumb.jpg.228ef4672cccd3eaa07abd2301196405.jpg

• I like it 1

I kinda cheated on the smoker tonight.  My Weber Gas has a smoke box, though, so the chickens were still smoked.  I used a mix of hickory chips and Barton 1792 barrel char.  It smelled heavenly...

Served with fresh sweetcorn, grilled zucchini/yellow squash/red onion, farro and mushrooms, and jicima/mango/peach salad.  

20180721_170835.jpg

• I like it 1

Up in the mountains cooking a tri tip over the fire pit while sipping Buffalo Trace to a George Strait CD

• I like it 2

Few things in this world I'd rather eat than ribs off the BGE while enjoying a cocktail. 

20180804_164720.jpg

20180804_164251.jpg

• I like it 2

Doing the Santa Maria Tri Tip tonight.  Cheating again with the smoke box filled with hickory and barrel char on the gasser.  Having sauteed mushrooms, grilled squash, oven roasted green beans, and baked potatoes along side.  And a nice intro to a 4R SiB PS of OESV, aged just over 10 years.

20180805_182624.jpg

Edited by gurgalunas
  • I like it 2

Spent the day today making Lechon Pork Belly on the Big Green Egg.

Stuffed the pork belly with. Garlic, ginger, lemongrass, garlic, red onion. Star anise, kosher salt , black pepper and a sprinkle of sugar in the raw.

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

• I like it 6

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, BigPapa said:

Stuffed the pork belly with. Garlic, ginger, lemongrass, garlic, red onion. Star anise, kosher salt , black pepper and a sprinkle of sugar in the raw.

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

Just WOW!!!

On 8/9/2018 at 9:47 PM, BigPapa said:

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

That really looks awesome!  I’ve put it on my smoker to do list already.  Can’t wait to try it!

I went with a turkey breast on the smoker, tonight.

A8BF61BB-FB55-405A-9CB2-D52A5A4B976E.jpeg

• I like it 2

That really looks awesome!  I’ve put it on my smoker to do list already.  Can’t wait to try it!
I went with a turkey breast on the smoker, tonight.
A8BF61BB-FB55-405A-9CB2-D52A5A4B976E.thumb.jpeg.9ec01130666bbc95d9af9c9d66b8bda4.jpeg

Turkey on the smoker is always a great choice. Looks great .

We make healthy sandwiches out of our smoked turkey. Beats the hell out of the store deli meat!!!

St. Louis style ribs done as Memphis-Style Dry (Saveur mag. #139 June/July 2011, page 106).  This is from a recipe by the late Charles Vergos of Rendezvous in Memphis.  I used the Minion Method of stacking coals on the lower level of my Weber Summit Charcoal Grill about 1/3 the way around and used Weber briquettes (much less ash than KBB).  Temp held at 240-250 for 2.5 hours at which time the ribs hit 165F internal temp. and I took them off - no wrapping or resting.  Wife likes them slightly chewy so they are not "falling off the bone" tender.  Dry rub per the Saveur, but Meathead's Memphis Dust (amazingribs.com) would have worked as well IMHO.  Two apple wood chunks for smoke on the first third of the charcoal ring. EDIT - I always remove the membrane and cut off the back flap (loose curly piece in photo); I eat the back flap first to be sure the ribs are good; the membrane gets tossed.

IMG_0267.JPG

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

St. Louis style ribs done as Memphis-Style Dry (Saveur mag. #139 June/July 2011, page 106).  This is from a recipe by the late Charles Vergos of Rendezvous in Memphis.  I used the Minion Method of stacking coals on the lower level of my Weber Summit Charcoal Grill about 1/3 the way around and used Weber briquettes (much less ash than KBB).  Temp held at 240-250 for 2.5 hours at which time the ribs hit 165F internal temp. and I took them off - no wrapping or resting.  Wife likes them slightly chewy so they are not "falling off the bone" tender.  Dry rub per the Saveur, but Meathead's Memphis Dust (amazingribs.com) would have worked as well IMHO.  Two apple wood chunks for smoke on the first third of the charcoal ring. EDIT - I always remove the membrane and cut off the back flap (loose curly piece in photo); I eat the back flap first to be sure the ribs are good; the membrane gets tossed.

IMG_0267.JPG

I don't think that you need to taste it to see if the ribs are good. In fact, I just licked my computer screen & even that was pretty good!!!

• I like it 1

IMG_0267.thumb.JPG.485822a658a0dfa8a357009fa9fb5114.JPG

This reminds me that I haven’t been to Rendezvous in a while, so I think I need to head downtown and correct that sometime over the next few weeks...much less work that way! [emoji3]
  • I like it 1

IMG_0267.thumb.JPG.485822a658a0dfa8a357009fa9fb5114.JPG

Nice job Harry. They look great

Today, I'm doing a brisket (just the flat, not a packer, because just the two of us are going to eat it).  Prep time is about 8 hours from meat on to meat cut with actual cook time being 6 to 7 hours (at least that's what I planned for).  Very little wind today so I've had no trouble maintaining a 240-245F in the Weber Summit (so 6 is looking good, and I have a faux cambro on hand just in case I'm right).  While watching the thermometer for any change, I finished off a medium pour of Isaac Bowman port finish with liberal ice cubes.  That alone ate up 2 hours of cook time.  If it looks good and I remember to take pictures, I'll post later.  If it doesn't look good, I'll just eat.

• I like it 1

Today, I'm doing a brisket (just the flat, not a packer, because just the two of us are going to eat it).  Prep time is about 8 hours from meat on to meat cut with actual cook time being 6 to 7 hours (at least that's what I planned for).  Very little wind today so I've had no trouble maintaining a 240-245F in the Weber Summit (so 6 is looking good, and I have a faux cambro on hand just in case I'm right).  While watching the thermometer for any change, I finished off a medium pour of Isaac Bowman port finish with liberal ice cubes.  That alone ate up 2 hours of cook time.  If it looks good and I remember to take pictures, I'll post later.  If it doesn't look good, I'll just eat.

What temp do you cook the flat too? I want to do a brisket , but prices here in Minnesota for a packer are ridiculous. Think the last time I was at Costco they averaged 60.00.

Guess I might be afraid of fucking it up for that price. Excuse my Potty mouth.
  • I like it 1

32 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

What temp do you cook the flat too? I want to do a brisket , but prices here in Minnesota for a packer are ridiculous. Think the last time I was at Costco they averaged 60.00.

Guess I might be afraid of fucking it up for that price. Excuse my Potty mouth.

No worries here papa.  For those of us who have fucked up that expensive piece of meat (sheepishly raises hand)...we’ve heard worse...  :D

• I like it 1