What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

No worries here papa.  For those of us who have fucked up that expensive piece of meat (sheepishly raises hand)...we’ve heard worse...  [emoji3]

That’s why i don’t smoke meat. I just eat everyone else’s.[emoji16]
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, BigPapa said:

What temp do you cook the flat too? I want to do a brisket , but prices here in Minnesota for a packer are ridiculous. Think the last time I was at Costco they averaged 60.00.

Guess I might be afraid of fucking it up for that price. Excuse my Potty mouth.

Based on my slightly more than basic experience with whole briskets AND on the recipe my wife told me to follow, I planned out this first flat-only brisket cook.  SO, today I guessed the stall would happen at 160F internal temp at which time I'd wrap in foil (AKA use the Texas Crutch) and return it to the heat until it hit 190F internal then unwrap to recrisp the bark.  I figured 4 hours @ 240-250F grill level temp to 160F internal then 2 more hours to 190F internal which is DONE.  It didn't work out that way.  The stall hit at 145F internal @ 4 hours and WOULD NOT BUDGE.  After bumping the grill heat to 275F (by mounding charcoal and fanning and blowing the lower vents), internal hit 160F at hour 6.  Hence, dinner was an hour or so late.  Finishing temp was barely 190F internal (maybe even 180F if I told the truth).

At least I didn't OVERcook it.  Did that with a whole brisket once - spent 14 hours carefully tending it up to unwrapping to firm up the bark.  Spilled the juices all over my legs and the deck, and dropped it.  Put it on the grill while I cleaned up.  The thin end dried out.  I should have closed the cover - damn coals heated up with all that extra oxygen.

As Joe said, . . .

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

No worries here papa.  For those of us who have fucked up that expensive piece of meat (sheepishly raises hand)...we’ve heard worse...  :D

I resemble that remark...  Brisket is one of the hardest things to get right if you don't have great control of temp.  It levels out at 185 degrees or so (internal temp) in my smoker for some time as the collagen breaks down.  Once it pushes through this temp, its ready to wrap in foil and rest.  

I've got several in the freezer I found on sale, need to get them out one of these days.

8 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I resemble that remark...  Brisket is one of the hardest things to get right if you don't have great control of temp.  It levels out at 185 degrees or so (internal temp) in my smoker for some time as the collagen breaks down.  Once it pushes through this temp, its ready to wrap in foil and rest.  

I've got several in the freezer I found on sale, need to get them out one of these days.

Yea, the hardest part about brisket for me is practicing patience during 'the stall' and resisting the urge to jack up the temp.

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Serious question - has anyone ever tried smoking bourbon to create a 'finished' whiskey?

YouTube has some videos dating as far back as 2009 showing how persons infuse their bourbon with smoke.  I searched for "smoking bourbon" to find them.  Steven Raichlen also did this on his latest(?) TV series.  And, I think either Dale DeGroff or Jim Meehan included a recipe or two in a cocktail book describing how to make a smoked cocktail.

To answer your question, though: Never tried it because I lack the patience.  I have put a bourbon glass inside a Weber kettle (FAR from the heat) when rain/snow/cold were so heavy I knew the bourbon would suffer if left to the elements.

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I have put a bourbon glass inside a Weber kettle (FAR from the heat) when rain/snow/cold were so heavy I knew the bourbon would suffer if left to the elements.

Harry, my friend, you have a truly kind heart! 

Not wanting to see the poor (pour?) Bourbon suffer in the cold, inclement weather... a truly good soul. 

Personally, I woulda just put it out of it's misery, and sent it to where all good (and much less-than-stellar) Bourbon must eventually go.   Heeee-He!

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Currently -13 outside. Taking the opportunity to experiment with some cold smoked salmon. Got a charcoal and wood “fuse” with a paraffin cube to ignight. Left water bowl overnight to freeze. And a full sockeye filet (halved) and an Atlantic filet (never used before) cured overnight, then rested  for 6 hours to allow pellicle to form. My biggest concern is that the fish will actually freeze during this process, but we will see.  Just lit the fuse. 

2A95F4A2-B805-4236-AD1B-B6FB91FB1D9D.jpeg

F4D84ABD-C9F4-46F5-84D5-DDB9F5B629E6.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Currently -13 outside. Taking the opportunity to experiment with some cold smoked salmon. Got a charcoal and wood “fuse” with a paraffin cube to ignight. Left water bowl overnight to freeze. And a full sockeye filet (halved) and an Atlantic filet (never used before) cured overnight, then rested  for 6 hours to allow pellicle to form. My biggest concern is that the fish will actually freeze during this process, but we will see.  Just lit the fuse. 

Good luck Bob. Hope all goes well. 

BTW, it’s a tie when it comes to the temperature. It’s -13 here too. The warmest it’s been all day. :(

Biba! Joe

Bob, please update. I am very curious to see how it turned out...

Y’all want to really impress us?  Do that boiling pot of water thrown into the subzero air temp trick!!!  Come on!!!!

46 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Y’all want to really impress us?  Do that boiling pot of water thrown into the subzero air temp trick!!!  Come on!!!!

LMFAO! My son was/is actually planning on doing this with my grand daughter. If it actually happens, I’ll try and post the results.

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Bob, please update. I am very curious to see how it turned out...

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Bob that looks fascinating.

Update.  Lesson learned today.  As many who use a smoker have come to learn, leave well enough along and you will be just fine.  Had I simply lit the fuse, closed all vents to 25% and left it alone I think it would have worked perfectly.  Instead I was concerned about the fish freezing and kept tinkering with the vents.  After two hours temp jumped to 100 degrees (over 80 is no bueno)  quickly closed vents and added another ice pan in the middle.  Now sitting at 83, but for an hour or so was up close to 100.  Impact on final product unknown, but truthfully I tend to overreact and everything usually ends up great.  Will pull around 9 pm then let sit in fridge on a rack overnight before vac sealing tomorrow for serving at SB party.  Will snap a few pics and update then.

Moral of the store fire>ice.  I'm all in on Daenerys and the Whitewalkers are drawing dead.  Would do this again at any sub 15 degree temp.  Smaller fuse, full frozen ice pan and two separate ice pans in the middle.  Will put a temp probe next to the fish from the start. Light and leave alone.  

In other news, its another hot toddy night.  I made a little mix of cayenne pepper, ground ginger, cinnamon, and ground cardamom and put a dash in the drink.  Delicious 

• I like it 1

Fired up the smoker and grill yesterday to make a smorgasbord for the week.  Pulled pork in the smoker (using tenderloin for a change of pace), tex-mex style pork tenderloin on the grill, and grilled chicken with red and poblano peppers for nachos last night.  Different marinades, times and temps, but everything turned out great!

IMG_20190203_1715458.jpg

IMG_20190203_1752350.jpg

Edited by dcbt
  • I like it 2

Fired up the smoker and grill yesterday to make a smorgasbord for the week.  Pulled pork in the smoker (using tenderloin for a change of pace), tex-mex style pork tenderloin on the grill, and grilled chicken with red and poblano peppers for nachos last night.  Different marinades, times and temps, but everything turned out great!
IMG_20190203_1715458.thumb.jpg.36722a8287303e4bfbcb830707cf6bed.jpg
IMG_20190203_1752350.thumb.jpg.dceb6d2299944876a6c815de9b5f0262.jpg

Like the idea of using tenderloin.

15 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

It was an audible for sure.  With the weather as nice as it was, and the kids napping, I had a couple hours to sit outside and just relax so I decided to smoke it instead of grilling it.  It was a quick smoke, but you don't get the bark because of that.  So I finished it on the grill just to sear it.  I'd do it again, though, especially in time crunches.

• I like it 1

Pork belly burnt ends for the first time the other week.  Decadent, but delicious.  

EEF1DA06-51BF-48ED-BDA7-594B9ADE143B.jpeg

5066AA9D-8CD0-4783-B077-81BD0935CDE8.jpeg

D1BF4507-13A6-4CF6-8D01-CFDCF41E3411.jpeg

4155511B-A208-4696-9EBF-CAB2B9828E0E.jpeg

A9FD7E83-8FA9-4B07-890C-F3EBF7462C74.jpeg

7B2B3D79-78C0-4A67-9EF0-8DC5E1D0DEFF.jpeg

5C099BA1-6AC6-4DC1-99CD-C4C96BFA9294.jpeg

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Pork belly burnt ends for the first time the other week.  Decadent, but delicious.  

Smokin' Joe... What a well-earned name!!! That Looks Wonderful!!!

On 2/5/2019 at 7:05 PM, HoustonNit said:

On 2/6/2019 at 10:44 AM, dcbt said:

It was an audible for sure.  With the weather as nice as it was, and the kids napping, I had a couple hours to sit outside and just relax so I decided to smoke it instead of grilling it.  It was a quick smoke, but you don't get the bark because of that.  So I finished it on the grill just to sear it.  I'd do it again, though, especially in time crunches.

Tenderloin is great as it is so much healthier.  I just started using it to make pulled pork tenderloin instead of pork shoulder for the health reasons.  Smoke two tenderloins to 145 IT and then put into a foil pan with some braising liquids/spices.  If making tacos I do taco seasonings and lime juice, if BBQ sandwiches I go with apple/pineapple juice and some rub.  Seal tightly with foil and take up to 205 internal temp.  Shred in pan with juices and voila.    I will start to post more pics going forward when I start cooking outside more frequently in the spring.  

On 2/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, smokinjoe said:

Damn, those look legit.  Are you doing that with Skin on or is that a top layer of fat?  

Damn, those look legit.  Are you doing that with Skin on or is that a top layer of fat?  

Just the fat.  It was my first pork belly and I’ll admit it felt I could hear my arteries clogging just looking at it.  I was going to trim up, but went with a devil may care attitude and left the whole thing on. 

:D

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Just the fat.  It was my first pork belly and I’ll admit it felt I could hear my arteries clogging just looking at it.  I was going to trim up, but went with a devil may care attitude and left the whole thing on. 

:D

Hey, Pork fat is the #8 healthiest food in the world! www.bbc.com/future/story/20180126-the-100-most-nutritious-foods

• I like it 1