cigarnv

What are you cookin on the smoker?

BigRich
No worries here papa.  For those of us who have fucked up that expensive piece of meat (sheepishly raises hand)...we’ve heard worse...  

That’s why i don’t smoke meat. I just eat everyone else’s.
  • I like it 2

Harry in WashDC
5 hours ago, BigPapa said:

What temp do you cook the flat too? I want to do a brisket , but prices here in Minnesota for a packer are ridiculous. Think the last time I was at Costco they averaged 60.00.

Guess I might be afraid of fucking it up for that price. Excuse my Potty mouth.

Based on my slightly more than basic experience with whole briskets AND on the recipe my wife told me to follow, I planned out this first flat-only brisket cook.  SO, today I guessed the stall would happen at 160F internal temp at which time I'd wrap in foil (AKA use the Texas Crutch) and return it to the heat until it hit 190F internal then unwrap to recrisp the bark.  I figured 4 hours @ 240-250F grill level temp to 160F internal then 2 more hours to 190F internal which is DONE.  It didn't work out that way.  The stall hit at 145F internal @ 4 hours and WOULD NOT BUDGE.  After bumping the grill heat to 275F (by mounding charcoal and fanning and blowing the lower vents), internal hit 160F at hour 6.  Hence, dinner was an hour or so late.  Finishing temp was barely 190F internal (maybe even 180F if I told the truth).

At least I didn't OVERcook it.  Did that with a whole brisket once - spent 14 hours carefully tending it up to unwrapping to firm up the bark.  Spilled the juices all over my legs and the deck, and dropped it.  Put it on the grill while I cleaned up.  The thin end dried out.  I should have closed the cover - damn coals heated up with all that extra oxygen.

As Joe said, . . .

• I like it 1

gurgalunas
9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

No worries here papa.  For those of us who have fucked up that expensive piece of meat (sheepishly raises hand)...we’ve heard worse...  :D

I resemble that remark...  Brisket is one of the hardest things to get right if you don't have great control of temp.  It levels out at 185 degrees or so (internal temp) in my smoker for some time as the collagen breaks down.  Once it pushes through this temp, its ready to wrap in foil and rest.  

I've got several in the freezer I found on sale, need to get them out one of these days.

dcbt
8 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

I resemble that remark...  Brisket is one of the hardest things to get right if you don't have great control of temp.  It levels out at 185 degrees or so (internal temp) in my smoker for some time as the collagen breaks down.  Once it pushes through this temp, its ready to wrap in foil and rest.  

I've got several in the freezer I found on sale, need to get them out one of these days.

Yea, the hardest part about brisket for me is practicing patience during 'the stall' and resisting the urge to jack up the temp.

• I like it 2

dcbt

Serious question - has anyone ever tried smoking bourbon to create a 'finished' whiskey?

Harry in WashDC
19 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Serious question - has anyone ever tried smoking bourbon to create a 'finished' whiskey?

YouTube has some videos dating as far back as 2009 showing how persons infuse their bourbon with smoke.  I searched for "smoking bourbon" to find them.  Steven Raichlen also did this on his latest(?) TV series.  And, I think either Dale DeGroff or Jim Meehan included a recipe or two in a cocktail book describing how to make a smoked cocktail.

To answer your question, though: Never tried it because I lack the patience.  I have put a bourbon glass inside a Weber kettle (FAR from the heat) when rain/snow/cold were so heavy I knew the bourbon would suffer if left to the elements.

Richnimrod
3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I have put a bourbon glass inside a Weber kettle (FAR from the heat) when rain/snow/cold were so heavy I knew the bourbon would suffer if left to the elements.

Harry, my friend, you have a truly kind heart! 

Not wanting to see the poor (pour?) Bourbon suffer in the cold, inclement weather... a truly good soul. 

Personally, I woulda just put it out of it's misery, and sent it to where all good (and much less-than-stellar) Bourbon must eventually go.   Heeee-He!

• I like it 1

JCwhammie

20180929_153008.jpg

20180929_190824.jpg

• I like it 2