What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

Did a pork butt on the smoker this weekend. 8 lbs with a 10 h cook time at 250. Made Barbacoa style tacos.  Very good but overindulged a bit. 

• 4 weeks later...

30 drumsticks and 12 Thighs. Tried a dry brine for the first time. Will see how it goes.

6BB7CFA9-85A2-4718-9BB4-D7FC059E7669.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 1

Here are the thighs. Will post a picture of the drumsticks and pistachios tonight. By the time those finished it was late. 

5A56C33B-285C-4F02-930C-2B39FDD338F4.jpeg

Nicely done Bob. Are those plain pistachios that you smoked?

Also what is this contraception?

IMG_6483.JPG

Very intrigued, is that a Weber kettle where you remove the top grate removed? I love this and the results look great.

Yeah, interested in those pistachios.  Seasoning?  Just smoked?  Look tasty...

• I like it 2

On 3/19/2019 at 8:09 PM, HoustonNit said:

Nicely done Bob. Are those plain pistachios that you smoked?

Also what is this contraception?

IMG_6483.JPG

Very intrigued, is that a Weber kettle where you remove the top grate removed? I love this and the results look great.

On 3/19/2019 at 10:07 PM, gurgalunas said:

Yeah, interested in those pistachios.  Seasoning?  Just smoked?  Look tasty...

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain 18” size. Two drumstick racks fit perfectly on the lower grate. First time I’ve ever put anything on top of them. It worked well. Afterwards I put the top grate back on with the rest of the chicken.

The pistachios are from Costco, roasted I believe. I mix em in a sugarless “cooking” BBQ sauce then spread over a non stick mat so they don’t fall through. Sprinkle BBQ rub and smoke. 

• I like it 2

Less than 24 hours from meaningful baseball being played, the weather's turning, and wings are on the Egg getting a kiss of pecan smoke. This is what life is all about. 

20190327_181410.jpg

• I like it 2

Less than 24 hours from meaningful baseball being played, the weather's turning, and wings are on the Egg getting a kiss of pecan smoke. This is what life is all about. 
20190327_181410.thumb.jpg.23b85427c498c115ea31bea4cbd7c3b2.jpg

Also what’s in the glass what’s life’s about...?

21 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Also what’s in the glass what’s life’s about...?

It's a 1 to 1 mix of 4RYL and Simply Limeade. It's really good and refreshing. 

• I like it 1

Sorry to ask but what's 4RYL?

32 minutes ago, BigPapa said:
12 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

It's 4 Rose's Yellow Label (I suppose it's a beige label now.)

I keep the twist top yellow label bottle in my freezer. I copied that off a few other members on here. 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, BigPapa said:
On 3/27/2019 at 8:02 PM, JCwhammie said:

14 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

It's 4 Rose's Yellow Label (I suppose it's a beige label now.)

I keep the twist top yellow label bottle in my freezer. I copied that off a few other members on here. 

IIRC, it’s just called Four Roses now. Just sayin’, not complainin’. ;)

Biba! Joe

10 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

IIRC, it’s just called Four Roses now. Just sayin’, not complainin’. ;)

Biba! Joe

Correct. When I was at Cox Creek last fall the tour guide called it Four Roses Bourbon. 

My momma called it Yellow Label, Imma call it Yellow Label...

*I think I stole that from somebody...  :D

• I like it 2

So its my wife’s birthday today and she requested her favorite meal - my ribs.  So I took the day off and got started this morning.  Ribs are on the smoker and I am enjoying a Kona Kua Bay Beer (Kona’s are my favorite and we can now get the Island Hopper 12 packs in Michigan).  

Birthday cake later this evening followed by a nightcap.  She will be having a Patron Piedra and I have selected a Blanton’s for this evening.  Neat for both of course.

I am constantly reminded to the Mark Twain quote that youth is entirely wasted on the young!

A3395A16-0F9D-4032-95B4-5894C2A4B1CE.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Worked outside today but put chicken breasts on the smoker for lunch. Turned out really. I have found that a 50:50 combo of pecan and Hickory really hits the smoke profile that we like. Used the trick of wrapping them like I do my ribs and they turned out very moist.  It was a good day but my back has paid the price. Treating it with some Willet Pot Still. 

• I like it 1

On 4/13/2019 at 8:13 PM, StarSurfer55 said:

Worked outside today but put chicken breasts on the smoker for lunch. Turned out really. I have found that a 50:50 combo of pecan and Hickory really hits the smoke profile that we like. Used the trick of wrapping them like I do my ribs and they turned out very moist.  It was a good day but my back has paid the price. Treating it with some Willet Pot Still. 

Do you brine?  I have found it to be well worth the effort as it just keeps the meat so moist and juicy.  I have considered injecting as well, but that seems like a lot of effort, will probably give it a shot one day.

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Bbq chicken drumsticks. These are fantastic 

20190416_180337.jpg

They certainly look tasty!     My mouth is watering a little bit, just from this pic.....

Not the smoker but spatchcocked chicken on the grill. So easy and makes a perfect bird. Can post recipe in there is interest. The bourbon was good too!

CE05D5F0-F5FB-4C05-8E04-3FB72D00F79F.jpeg

Smaller butt on bottom rack. Other one will go on top. Ideally to finish around 8:00 am tomorrow. 

Had to sample pled a little of tomorrow’s Weller 12 just to make sure it didn’t go bad! :) perfect night too. 

164A47CC-CD34-4F84-A0B6-7129AA7646B1.jpeg

• I like it 1