What are you cookin on the smoker?

cigarnv

11 minutes ago, Sven Heuchert said:

Absolutely! I don't hunt for trophies that much. I like the whole process, from skinning to cutting to cooking, which usually ends in something we call "Tottrinken" in german (literally means: Drinking something dead.), as a way to respect the animal. 

I know of that tradition, and have the greatest respect for it!   I have done much the same thing many, many times, though possibly not in the prescribed and formal manner.  :P Enjoy That Pig, Sven (I'm certain you will!)!

You need to do it, it is a legal requirement. As a registered hunter, you are allowed to sell boar, and these people could make some kind of raw sausage with it, where they don't cook it. So, I mean you could eat it yourself whithout testing, but we have had some special sorts of trichina, who survive longer than the usual, and you need to the temperature to the very core of the meat to kill them all. It is tricky.

You take some fibres of the muscle and the diaphragm, and they will test it in a laboratory and give you call. 

That makes sense if you are allowed to sell the meat. Selling meat from a hunting harvest is generally not allowed in most states in the USA, so I never thought of that. Historically, we have a tendency to overcook pork in the USA because of the past concern for trichina, but it’s supposedly eradicated from commercial pig farms these days, so suggested adequately cooked temperatures have been reduced from when I was growing up. Of course wild boar and hogs are still something to be cautious of as you are well aware, and they should be cooked thoroughly.

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That makes sense if you are allowed to sell the meat. Selling meat from a hunting harvest is generally not allowed in most states in the USA, so I never thought of that. Historically, we have a tendency to overcook pork in the USA because of the past concern for trichina, but it’s supposedly eradicated from commercial pig farms these days, so suggested adequately cooked temperatures have been reduced from when I was growing up. Of course wild boar and hogs are still something to be cautious of as you are well aware, and they should be cooked thoroughly.

Yeah, same goes for Nutria and Badger. I never heard of a case of trichina the last couple of years, but you just never know. Didn't knew that you aren't allowed to sell the meat in the U.S. I'm currently reading "Last of the Bisons" by Michael Punke, about hunting big game in the States some hundred years and how they founded Yellowstone. Very interesting!

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

We shot a boar the other week. Around 70kg. We skinned and cut it, then waited for the trichina examination. Saturday was the day. Finally! We made a stew in the dutch oven, used parts of the front legs, the whole heart, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, spices. Cold beer as well. Very nice evening. 

20190518_193157-min.jpg

This looks amazing, and I love the story. 

Well done.

11 hours ago, flahute said:

This looks amazing, and I love the story. 

Well done.

Thanks a lot, Sir! Sadly, we didn't drank any Bourbon to it, but a Rum from the D.R. which was a nice, smooth after diner drink. 

Late to the party but that stew looks fantastic, very cool picture.

15 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Late to the party but that stew looks fantastic, very cool picture.

Thanks a lot! 

On 5/25/2019 at 1:56 AM, StarSurfer55 said:

Der Eintopf sieht aus toll!  

The stew was good indeed! 

Pit Beef! 

Sliced thin and heaped on a Kaiser roll slathered with mayo, horseradish & thinly sliced sweet onion.20190525_180124.thumb.jpg.1be086af35672e428d5e78f3f85b44e6.jpg

20190525_175309.thumb.jpg.c6d51ee6e2a59c8a0a19dc2d6289e9c9.jpg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Pit Beef! 

Sliced thin and heaped on a Kaiser roll slathered with mayo, horseradish & thinly sliced sweet onion.20190525_180124.thumb.jpg.1be086af35672e428d5e78f3f85b44e6.jpg

That looks delicious!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Pit Beef! 

Sliced thin and heaped on a Kaiser roll slathered with mayo, horseradish & thinly sliced sweet onion.

Damn that looks great!! (hold the horseradish for mine)

On 5/30/2019 at 6:03 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Pit Beef! 

This looks 'effin delicious!

Wife bought a thicker than usual (2+ inches) rib eye for grilling for our 45th anniversary.  I cooked it last night.  Before dinner cocktail was a Diamondback Lounge Cocktail - 2 rye, 1 real apple jack, 1 yellow Chartreuse - named after a terrapin (i.e., a tortoise) native to Maryland and created by a bartender at the Lord Baltimore Hotel using a Maryland-style rye years ago (early 1960s?).  Wine was a Bordeaux (sorry, Boss, we'd consumed all our California J's).  Dessert was a custard.

I learned from my Dad (who grew up on a farm in Iowa) that one cannot grill beef without bourbon in one hand.  Hence, I finished off my latest (but not last) JD SiB BP (with ice, of course) before I got to the Diamondback.

IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.f64d24427cf4ec7c8a05d60489a1c11a.JPG

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Wife bought a thicker than usual (2+ inches) rib eye for grilling for our 45th anniversary.  I cooked it last night.  Before dinner cocktail was a Diamondback Lounge Cocktail - 2 rye, 1 real apple jack, 1 yellow Chartreuse - named after a terrapin (i.e., a tortoise) native to Maryland and created by a bartender at the Lord Baltimore Hotel using a Maryland-style rye years ago (early 1960s?).  Wine was a Bordeaux (sorry, Boss, we'd consumed all our California J's).  Dessert was a custard.

I learned from my Dad (who grew up on a farm in Iowa) that one cannot grill beef without bourbon in one hand.  Hence, I finished off my latest (but not last) JD SiB BP (with ice, of course) before I got to the Diamondback.

IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.f64d24427cf4ec7c8a05d60489a1c11a.JPG

Looks great!

Did you do a reverse sear on that bad-boy?

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Looks great!

Did you do a reverse sear on that bad-boy?

Per Meathead Goldwin's instructions, YUP!

50 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Per Meathead Goldwin's instructions, 

I'm a Disciple too!  Amazing Ribs for the win!  Are you in the Pitmaster club? If so....nice! If not, join now!  It's definitely worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

My son and his family will be coming over later today.  We’ll be grilling brats, & dogs for the grand kids, steaks for the adults. Other fare will be bourbon and brown sugar baked beans, potatoe salad made with red potatoes, ham roll ups and tortellini salad. Adult liquid refreshment will be Blue Moon beer and of course, bourbon.  May post some pics later. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

A few nights ago I seared some tuna steaks after roast/grilling corn on the cob. Pretty tasty. 

Attach18484_20190611_181723.jpg

Edited by JCwhammie

Big smoker weekend. Started things off with smoked salmon/trout along with smoked shrimp cocktail. 

F9D4DC4A-B01A-4D16-B476-659D72A8180C.jpeg

• I like it 1

Big smoker weekend. Started things off with smoked salmon/trout along with smoked shrimp cocktail. 
F9D4DC4A-B01A-4D16-B476-659D72A8180C.thumb.jpeg.42e21ed72e3efe1cd176e76d589a8c85.jpeg

The smoked fished and shrimp look great.

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Moved on to pulled pork tacos with fresh pico de Gallo and guacamole. 

Say Bob.…….how about coming to Bardstown next April for our Sampler weekend and sharing your grilling/smoking skills with us? :)

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

On 5/30/2019 at 11:03 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Pit Beef! 

What cut of meat is that?  I will be making this soon.

Finished up with some Baby back and Beef short ribs. The baby backs came out the best this time.

44094669-0CE4-4B51-B68B-D5552523A48B.jpeg

• I like it 2