Jump to content
cigarnv

What are you cookin on the smoker?

Recommended Posts

Bob_Loblaw
2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

 


The smoked fished and shrimp look great.

 

First time on the shrimp. They are good, but think they will benefit from being smoked a day earlier.  I added too much charcoal at the end of the fish and ran temps too high. End result was fine, but not the best batch. The Steelhead Trout held up to the flare up and was the winner. 

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

 

 

Say Bob.…….how about coming to Bardstown next April for our Sampler weekend and sharing your grilling/smoking skills with us? :)

A weekend of BBQ and bourbon nerdery sounds great! I’ve read references and bits n pieces. Is it always the same weekend?

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
29 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

A weekend of BBQ and bourbon nerdery sounds great! I’ve read references and bits n pieces. Is it always the same weekend?

The weekend before the Kentucky Derby

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

From Sunday: Sirloin strip steaks marinated overnight in Teriyaki dressing. We then used a Mediterranean rub on the two smaller steaks, and a bourbon brown sugar rub on the other two. The Mediterranean was good, but the bourbon brown sugar was great. It paired perfectly with the Bush's Bourbon and Brown Sugar baked beans.

 

Biba! Joe

 

steak.jpeg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311
On 6/16/2019 at 7:41 PM, Golzee said:

What cut of meat is that?  I will be making this soon.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Bottom Round.

Injected it with beef broth the night before. Used a little of my favorite beef rub.  Smoked it at ~ 225-230° until the internal temp hit 115°.

Blasted the heat to warp 10, and seared all sides til the temp hit 125° 

Wrapped and rested for 1/2 hr, or so, then sliced thinly across the grain

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skinsfan1311

Not the prettiest pic, (was recovering from an epic bachelor party), but you get the idea.

Citrus grilled chicken.

20190616_170252.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

Smoked and seared cowboy ribeye and OGD114 on a large ice cube. Happy ending to a long work day. 

VideoCapture_20190627-185248.jpg

20190627_183726.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
On 6/16/2019 at 7:41 PM, Golzee said:

What cut of meat is that?  I will be making this soon.

Per Skinsfan's comment, bottom round, top round, or eye round can be used.  Just be sure to slice it thinly.  Here's a link to a 2013 Washington Post recipe for it based on a pit beef recipe from a family in Baltimore who has been cooking this for years professionally in small batches.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/baltimore-pit-beef/13439/?utm_term=.ef18401b7d98

 

AND, here's a link to a pit beef recipe on amazingribs.com.  I've been a blogger/subscriber there for four years now.

 

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/amped-roast-beef-cheap-baltimore-pit-beef-recipe

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Sorry for the delayed response.

Bottom Round.

Injected it with beef broth the night before. Used a little of my favorite beef rub.  Smoked it at ~ 225-230° until the internal temp hit 115°.

Blasted the heat to warp 10, and seared all sides til the temp hit 125° 

Wrapped and rested for 1/2 hr, or so, then sliced thinly across the grain

 

This is pretty much what I do, too.  If I like the looks of an eye round further down the meat counter, I buy that chunk instead and skip the injection step.  I mentioned you in a post on this thread a couple minutes ago (see above).

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
On 6/27/2019 at 6:55 PM, JCwhammie said:

Smoked and seared cowboy ribeye and OGD114 on a large ice cube. Happy ending to a long work day. 

 

 

Nice JC. How was that cowboy ribeye? I almost bought a couple at Sam’s Club last weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie
7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Nice JC. How was that cowboy ribeye? I almost bought a couple at Sam’s Club last weekend.

It was fantastic. My grocer had the price lowered quite a bit since the 'sell by' date was the date I bought it. 

I mistakenly let it smoke a little too long and got it a little past medium. Live and learn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

It was fantastic. My grocer had the price lowered quite a bit since the 'sell by' date was the date I bought it. 

I mistakenly let it smoke a little too long and got it a little past medium. Live and learn. 

Thanks. We’re looking at grilling out for the 4th. Gotta keep my options open. ;)

 

Biba! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC

Tonight, we did a 4 pound mostly boned 1/2 turkey breast finished with one slather of Coca Cola/brown sugar sauce (with sauce cooked until it all melted together before slathering about 5 minutes before the breast "finished" at 160F internal ).  Cook was indirect with lid closed and took about 1 hour (1.5 hrs. likely if you are doing a whole, boned breast).  HENCE, I added ice to my helper - bourbon - to get me through the boring spots.  Tonight it was 2 generous ounces of AAA with 2 small cubes, taking it to about 50-60 proof.  ALSO, wife used the AAA to make her sauce for the sweet potatoes/marshmallow casserole.  Home grown wax beans plus a salad with the last of this year's lettuce and homemade sorbets (strawberry and apricot with homemade black current sauce) rounded out the meal.

IMG_0557.thumb.JPG.fb88a516de23a2d00d2137e8c6a73ede.JPG

  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
21 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Tonight, we did a 4 pound mostly boned 1/2 turkey breast finished with one slather of Coca Cola/brown sugar sauce (with sauce cooked until it all melted together before slathering about 5 minutes before the breast "finished" at 160F internal ).  Cook was indirect with lid closed and took about 1 hour (1.5 hrs. likely if you are doing a whole, boned breast).  HENCE, I added ice to my helper - bourbon - to get me through the boring spots.  Tonight it was 2 generous ounces of AAA with 2 small cubes, taking it to about 50-60 proof.  ALSO, wife used the AAA to make her sauce for the sweet potatoes/marshmallow casserole.  Home grown wax beans plus a salad with the last of this year's lettuce and homemade sorbets (strawberry and apricot with homemade black current sauce) rounded out the meal.

IMG_0557.thumb.JPG.fb88a516de23a2d00d2137e8c6a73ede.JPG

@Harry in WashDC, please save some of the turkey and fixin's........I'll be out on the next flight! 😉

 

Cheers,

Nancy

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tsangster

Couple of butts with Eastern Carolina sauce (hard to explain for a Georgian but whatever) and a healthy side of EWBIB

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcbt

Pork butt today turned out perfect, tender and flavorful meat with crispy bark. 

 

 

IMG_20190705_1820067.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond

I’ve never posted to this thread before. I smoke a lot of meat but generally small batches on a Big Green Egg. My dad has a real smoker though and once in a while I drag it up to my house. Love this thing

 

6C5377C1-4AF0-4BDC-8987-07540660A1BB.jpeg

9B1DBC72-AFAD-49EA-9FE5-C9A58DFFA992.jpeg

  • I like it 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

Some baby backs on the Egg. They've been on for close to 5 hours at 250⁰ dome temp. These are pretty meaty (got them at Costco). I'm anticipating them taking 5.5-6 hours. I'll try the 90⁰ bend test in another 30 minutes. 

I'm thinking I'll pair them with some OFD114 and a cube of ice. The wife is doing her sweet potatoes, which are perfect compliment to bbq. Last but not least is a black diamond watermelon. 

20190707_154704.jpg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sven Heuchert

Ribs from a boar. Finished on the charcoal grill. Selfmade BBQ-Sauce (was alright, nothing special). 

20190706_161758.jpg

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigPapa

Porchetta on the Big Green Egg!!
It was unbelievable

IMG_1020.jpg
Ingredients.

IMG_1022.jpg
Did an Asian influenced Porchetta with lemon grass, ginger, garlic, red onion and star anise.

IMG_1023.jpg
Rolled and tied

IMG_1024.jpg
Inside pre cook

IMG_1025.jpg
On the BGE it goes

IMG_1027.jpg
After 5 hours at 300 indirect

IMG_1031.jpg
Finished product. Was Awesome!!!!

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
11 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Porchetta on the Big Green Egg!!

After 5 hours at 300 indirect
 

OOOOOOOHHHHH, MAAAAN!   Does that ever smell good!!!!!!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

That really does look awesome, Papa!  I bet it tastes even better.  Yeah, the smell gets even down here to Georgia!  :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T

How about a couple lbs of shrimp. Seasoned and to be smoked with cherry wood. It will be a shrimp cocktail with homemade cocktail sauce, of course. The sauce will consist of ketchup, a little soy, a little Worcestershire, a little lime juice, and a shit ton of fresh horseradish, fresh from a friend's garden. It is definitely not for the meek, but awesomely delicious. 

20190713_124035.jpg

Edited by Phil T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T

30 minutes later. I should probably bring it to the west wing next April. 

20190713_133003.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
33 minutes ago, Phil T said:

30 minutes later. I should probably bring it to the west wing next April. 

 

Geez Phil, you've been holding out on us all these years!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T
27 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Geez Phil, you've been holding out on us all these 

That's only because I'm too lazy to post Gary!

Edited by Phil T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...