How Did You Break Your Glencairn Today Thread

LikeItWasSodaPop
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My son was visiting and sampling several of my bourbons when the Glencairn he was using slipped from his grasp. It hit my glass, and the table on the way to the floor. It had nary a scratch. Tough glass.

[h=2][/h]

Lucky. The glass ones are pretty tough. The crystal, not so much, in my experience. I've only broken one so far (mentioned upthread).

I am now extra careful when hand washing and when I have company they get the glass ones.:cool:

Cheers!

I use mine quite often (I know some say they are for "tasting" and not "drinking", but since I like to "taste" what I "drink" - I'd say I use them for 85% of my whisky drinking). I've yet to break one, and have had one or two fall off the table. Although I am disappointed to have missed the Heinz European Tasting Glass Diving Competition :lol:

I haven't broken one recently, although one has mysteriously disappeared. I used to have six and then I broke one myself. Strangely, I'm now down to four Glencairns. My girlfriend insists that she didn't break one, although I'm not sure... :skep:

I haven't broken one recently, although one has mysteriously disappeared. I used to have six and then I broke one myself. Strangely, I'm now down to four Glencairns. My girlfriend insists that she didn't break one, although I'm not sure... :skep:

Well if you would ever suck it up and come back to KY you can pick those things up all over the place :grin:.

I'm obsessive compulsive so I always handwash my two Glencairns (really should get a couple more in the future) and make sure they go back into the cabinet after they are dry. Then again being anal about these things means improved glass longevity...

I'm obsessive compulsive so I always handwash my two Glencairns (really should get a couple more in the future) and make sure they go back into the cabinet after they are dry. Then again being anal about these things means improved glass longevity...

Also means better taste quality I used to hand wash mine. I should still do it they look like crap after going trough the dishwasher a few hundred times. The wife took an SOS pad to the glasses to get the hard water stains off them a while back eww including my glencairns.

Broke my second G-D'd Glencairn Copita glass in my g-d'ed sink for the second g d'ed time in two months. G-d it.

Broke my second G-D'd Glencairn Copita glass in my g-d'ed sink for the second g d'ed time in two months. G-d it.

Think we could get another G-d it in there ? Be glad it wasn't some guy at the gazebo breaking it for you. You can buy more on line.

• 2 months later...

Popped one of my ORVW Glencairns last night while trying to move my bar. Didn't mind so much, but I was barefoot, and it ended up with some blood being spilled. It was pretty intense.

Popped one of my ORVW Glencairns last night while trying to move my bar. Didn't mind so much, but I was barefoot, and it ended up with some blood being spilled. It was pretty intense.

Sorry for your loss.

Also means better taste quality I used to hand wash mine. I should still do it they look like crap after going trough the dishwasher a few hundred times. The wife took an SOS pad to the glasses to get the hard water stains off them a while back eww including my glencairns.

Tell your wife to pour a little white vinegar in the glass and those hard water stains will disappear with little-to-no elbow grease needed. :)

Forgot to post in this thread when it happened... but I finally got a Glencairn a few months back, and my visiting mother managed to break it before it turned 1 month old. These things seem to be a magnet for destruction.

I'm sticking with a simple brandy snifter for now... the glencairns are really nice, but so damned dainty. I feel kinda fem holding one. ;)

Rarely use mine - got one out tonight and knocked the damn thing over with my elbow. Spilled good whiskey everywhere. I like my rocks glasses, less accidents

I came close tonight. I knocked it off the counter doing who knows what and was able to stick my bare foot out to break its fall. It hit my foot, the floor then rolled around a bit. The fat bottom of the glass landed right on the bone, and it hurt like a sonofa...

But no broken Glencairn, so i'll get over it. It was only the second one I pulled out of my half dozen box I got for X-Mas. Can't believe I almost broke it so soon. Glad I got a half dozen though.

~S

I just got my first Glencairn's today. one copita glass, two Glencairn whiskey glasses...we'll see how long until I have to report back... :-/

I got four more for Christmas, which means I won't be so scared to use one now. I'm sure I'll be reporting back.

I have broken every glencairn I have ever owned, except for the one I'm drinking from now. The last one I broke was my favorite. I got it at HH last year, and it had the the nice double-H design on it... And the way I broke it was really stupid, unfair really. I have a few stone owls strewn around the house, and the biggest one is a good, solid 30+ pounds. All it took was putting my empty glass down on the end table where the owl resides, and sloppily letting it brush up against the dense stone to give the glencairn a crack it could not recover from. It made me quite sad.

Most, if not all, of the others I've lost because I dropped them while washing.

Most, if not all, of the others I've lost because I dropped them while washing.
Me too! Ain't that a bitch? At least if you were drunk, you would come to terms with the loss a little easier. But to lose a favorite glass the morning after a booze-up is always a bummer. This weekend my daughter's demonic cat broke a Glencairn glass and a small water pitcher that was given to me on my 50th birthday by a close friend.:cry: I'll tell you what, it's a damned good thing that cat can run like a cheetah or his heinie would've smarted for days!

I'd love to see a special straightbourbon.com "safety base" glencairn issued.

The base should be twice as wide, too heavy for a cat to be interested, have a special indented ground-glass gripping section, and thicker glass for more durability. Retain the shape of the upper glass, put a nice rounded lip on the drinking edge, some bright red swirly warning color in the glass of the now-bigger base, and I'd be good to go.

Won't help much against stone owls, but ya gotta start somewhere.

I haven't broken a Glencairn ............ yet. :bigeyes: Lord knows I've tried to in several different ways though. Let's see.... :skep: #1. Dropped or knocked over in sink while washing. Not a morning after scenario. I rinse my Glencairns after each use, but every so often I'll take the ones that I use the most and give them a good soaking and washing. #2. Knocked over while pouring, or just after pouring. You know the deal. :) #3. Knocked over while reaching for something else to pour. This usually only happens at the gazebo at the GN in Bardstown. #4. Knocked off the table. Again, pretty much only at the gazebo at the GN in Bardstown. A fast foot once saved mine from directly hitting the wood deck. :rolleyes: #5. Someone else trying to knock my glass off the table. Yet again, usually at the gazebo at the GN in Bardstown. FWIW, it wasn't Paul. :grin:

I think I have a little more luck in not breaking my Glencairns because the ones I use are of the older glass variety. Too bad they don't make them any more. If they did, I'd buy a few more. I'm quite sure at least a couple of mine would have bit the dust by now if they were crystal. Cheers! Joe

Hmmm, if I can make the Gazebo this year I'll either bring a backup glass, or drink from styrofoam. Seems to be a dangerous place for glassware.

"FWIW, it wasn't Paul. :grin:"

I only break Germans glasses so they have to drink out of their hands :slappin:

Edited by p_elliott

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.