How Did You Break Your Glencairn Today Thread

LikeItWasSodaPop
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've only broken one so far but I've come close to destroying a Glennie or two on many occasions.

I will be traveling soon and will bring a Glenie or two. I'll keep you posted!

I've only had one broken, so far. I'm going on two years with the same two Glencairns (crystal) without incident. My Bull Mastiff's tail is the one antagonist in this equation...lol.

• 1 month later...

I just fumbled my Buffalo Trace Glencairn on the ktchen counter and shattered it. At least it was empty. Do they ship those? I'd love to have a George Stagg logo GC.

Haven't broken one yet but do any of you put crystal gc's in the dishwasher? Sometimes I'm feeling lazy and really want to but figured they'd break or get a film or something on them.

Haven't broken one yet but do any of you put crystal gc's in the dishwasher? Sometimes I'm feeling lazy and really want to but figured they'd break or get a film or something on them.
Edited by p_elliott

It's okay to put them in the dishwasher.

I've seen many statements about glass vs crystal. Aren't all of the Glencairns crystal? I have only seen crystal on Amazon.

BradleyC they have them for sale on the BT website.

How many of you regularly drink from a Glencairn? Aren't they really just for tasting and not casual drinking? I'm sure I've seen a thread on this already, but I don't see it now.

Edited by smknjoe

I've seen many statements about glass vs crystal. Aren't all of the Glencairns crystal? I have only seen crystal on Amazon.

How many of you regularly drink from a Glencairn? Aren't they really just for tasting and not casual drinking? I'm sure I've seen a thread on this already, but I don't see it.

There are both glass and crystal although I'm not sure you can get glass anymore. They're visibly different from each other. The glass ones have a little lip on the rim of the glass.

I drink almost exclusively out of a Glencairn and so do a lot of my buddies who aren't really interested in serious nosing and tasting. Some of them will even put ice in the Glencairn (rocks glasses are sitting right next to the Glencairns.) I like drinking beer out of a nice glass too. Things taste better when aromas are appropriately concentrated.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

I use a Glencairn about 90% of the time, whether I'm drinking critically or not. The other 10% of the time, I use a commemorative (Crown Black?) square-cornered tumbler because I like the weight of it (and it's better for larger pours).

I went ahead and ordered a couple of the standard and Copita style so I can do more side-by-side tasting. Plus, I need more for guests.

How many of you regularly drink from a Glencairn? Aren't they really just for tasting and not casual drinking? I'm sure I've seen a thread on this already, but I don't see it now.

I prefer the Copita style, but unless I'm drinking a cocktail (OF, Manhattan, etc.), or drinking with ice, it's in a Glencairn or Copita glass.

This thread is for discussing broken Glencairn glasses. There's a general glassware thread if you want to discuss your preferences. If it is closed, feel free to open a new one.

Thread drift makes topic searches difficult.

With a little help not one, not two, but three Glencairns were broken last night. Three guys and three broken glasses. We each can take credit for one. Then there was the story of the falling Four Roses bottles. I really need to stop posting in this thread.

post-6196-14489818629944_thumb.jpg

post-6196-14489818629944_thumb.jpg

With a little help not one, not two, but three Glencairns were broken last night. Three guys and three broken glasses. We each can take credit for one. Then there was the story of the falling Four Roses bottles. I really need to stop posting in this thread.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14780[/ATTACH]

Mine is the most intact one and was the first to go... I think Bradley and Eric were just trying to make me feel better about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've broken exactly two. One was at the Dallas Whiskey Festival after I set it atop a parking pole (whatever you call those things). It slipped off and I had to beg an organizer for a second glass.

The other time was actually intentional. I purposely smashed it on my kitchen floor to stop an argument between Timd and BarrelChar. It worked.

• 3 months later...

Broke my first Glencairn today and I don't even know how. Went to fix myself a pour and noticed the tiniest chip/crack on my ORVW glass. Bummer.

• 2 months later...

Got a new dishwasher. It killed two glencairns. That's what I get for not hand washing.

Got a new dishwasher. It killed two glencairns. That's what I get for not hand washing.
I think it is just in your nature,You glass slaying SOB,You!:grin:

Well, first let me say; this is quite tardy, as it didn't happen 'today'. :rolleyes:

That said, here's my tale of woe...

My son Gary and I were attending this year's ('13) Spring Sampler, staying at the General Nelson. After the first night at 'The Gazebo' we planned to visit a few distilleries, and did so during the day, Friday. We left the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and found the room seemingly as we left it upon our return. We again went out for a bit of shopping, and found the room the same when we returned. We were preparing to head down to 'The Gazebo' when I reached for my Glencairn (which I'd washed and left upside down on a spread washcloth on the washroom sink-top). When I picked the beloved glass up it was all 'crackled', though still in a single 'assembled' piece. I have not the first clue what could've occurred during one of our two absences that day to render it so thoroughly broken. I can only guess that maybe a 'maid' visited to check the towels, etc., and dropped something on it (or dropped it onto the sink-top?) and either didn't think I'd notice, or felt too guilty to just remove the obviously unusable glass. I suppose I'll never know.

Anybody else had one mysteriously 'crackle' up this way???? :bigeyes:

Well, first let me say; this is quite tardy, as it didn't happen 'today'. :rolleyes:

That said, here's my tale of woe...

My son Gary and I were attending this year's ('13) Spring Sampler, staying at the General Nelson. After the first night at 'The Gazebo' we planned to visit a few distilleries, and did so during the day, Friday. We left the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and found the room seemingly as we left it upon our return. We again went out for a bit of shopping, and found the room the same when we returned. We were preparing to head down to 'The Gazebo' when I reached for my Glencairn (which I'd washed and left upside down on a spread washcloth on the washroom sink-top). When I picked the beloved glass up it was all 'crackled', though still in a single 'assembled' piece. I have not the first clue what could've occurred during one of our two absences that day to render it so thoroughly broken. I can only guess that maybe a 'maid' visited to check the towels, etc., and dropped something on it (or dropped it onto the sink-top?) and either didn't think I'd notice, or felt too guilty to just remove the obviously unusable glass. I suppose I'll never know.

Anybody else had one mysteriously 'crackle' up this way???? :bigeyes:

That sounds more like it got very hot and suddenly cooled, or that there was a flaw in the glass that the expansion or contraction of the glass when being washed made worse. There's a slight chance that it got an extra wash from the maid if, for example, she dripped some soap on it when cleaning the sink and rinsed it off in the hot water.

Over many years, a theater crew that I volunteer with has thrown massive parties with many glencairns washed by the sink at hotels up and down the East Coast. Once they're upside down for a few minutes, they get dried and put back into protective packaging, and not left out for the maids.

We've never had the maids mess with out stuff (we go out of our way to make friends with them, and tip them personally (and generously) instead of just leaving tips on the table at the end of our stay. Little known fact: if you only leave tips on the last day of a multi-day stay, only the last maid gets the tip -- spread the tip out every day, and they'll appreciate it just as much. Tip higher, and sometimes nice things happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Left it too close to my four year old's backpack. When she grabbed her bag and slid it off the table, the glass went flying and shattered. I laughed and had to explain long and hard that it was an accident, I wasn't angry, and she wasn't in trouble. For some reason she must think that Daddy really loves those glasses ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.