How Did You Break Your Glencairn Today Thread

LikeItWasSodaPop
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally got the 3 month old asleep tonight and was easing into the couch with her. Elbowed a GC full of WTAS15 all over the floor. Woke the baby who screamed at me while I cleaned the glass and bourbon off the floor. Round 2 went better- with some airtime this stuff is growing on me. At least the room smells like bourbon: last time it was a glass full of young Islay and my wife was mad for a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed some KC SB and, as I was putting it away, knocked my Glencairn onto the hardwood. It bounced a couple of times and rolled behind the draperies. Buy it didn't break! WooHoo!!!

• 2 months later...

I came home to a busted Whisky Fest Glencairn all over the floor this morning. We have a new kitten I had left the glass on my desk yesterday morning. Guess I will be picking up a new glass in KY in April.

I came home to a busted Whisky Fest Glencairn all over the floor this morning. We have a new kitten I had left the glass on my desk yesterday morning. Guess I will be picking up a new glass in KY in April.

• 2 years later...

So . . . this happened at some point during the night

20160917_073932.jpg

This is the THIRD glass between my dad and I that has spontaneously "broke".  I am not making this sh!t up.  I washed the glass last night, dried it and set it down in pristine shape last night.  This morning, when we woke up - it was shattered through, and you can see the tiny shards of glass surrounding it (this was not dropped/cracked elsewhere and then just set on the counter).  Same thing happened to one of my dad's glasses - which I might blame on the General Nelson being haunted - except the 2nd occurrence took place in their kitchen while we sat around the kitchen table playing cards.  After having some pours earlier that evening, we set our glasses on the counter, and an hour or two later - we heard this "ping!" - and turned around to find his Glencairn broke (similar to what you see above).

Below is what my glass looked like when we lifted the glass, to show how thoroughly it broke apart.

20160917_074019.jpg

Anyone else have mysterious, spontaneous Glencarin's break like this??  I mean - they're only $7 now (and I've broken a couple in the traditional sense), but seems like there is some really strange design flaw.  Or maybe just a bad batch?  This wasn't a big temperature swing either (outside it was in the 80s last night on the gazebo, and our room is probably 70; and I didn't have any ice in it, etc).  

With a little more practice you'll get those mutant powers under control, Gary, and won't pose such a threat to Glencairns everywhere.  :lol:

Edited by mosugoji64

On 9/17/2016 at 10:14 PM, mosugoji64 said:

With a little more practice you'll get those mutant powers under control, Gary, and won't pose such a threat to Glencairns everywhere.  :lol:

Interesting . . . I was in the same building when all three took place . . . (as was my Dad).  My mom would buy into one of our dearly beloved past pooches being channeled through him LOL

On 9/18/2016 at 7:37 AM, b1gcountry said:

My first thought was to blame the cat...

If this had happened at home, I would have thought the same thing!

I had a neighbors cat come in through a 4th story window a few nights in a row when I was living in a studio apartment. It broke a glass I left on the sink and it scared the crap out of me. I wasn't sure if I had an intruder, a gremlin, or a ghost or what.

I lightly tapped a reidel brandy snifter with another glass the wrong way recently.  It must have set up a harmonic resonance or some other weird phenomenon because the whole bulb of the snifter violently imploded on itself.  I wasn't even drinking that night.  I was moving a nosing glass to make room for a beer glass I had just washed.  Super weird.  

Edited by garbanzobean

I will post a positive story here.  I was finished with my pour for the night a couple of weeks ago and had rinsed the glass out.  I put it on the drying mat to air dry and turned around when I heard a loud thunk.  It had rolled off the counter 42 inches high and landed on the ceramic tile floor and to this day I don't know how it didn't break, not even a chip on it.

5 hours ago, Thig said:

I will post a positive story here.  I was finished with my pour for the night a couple of weeks ago and had rinsed the glass out.  I put it on the drying mat to air dry and turned around when I heard a loud thunk.  It had rolled off the counter 42 inches high and landed on the ceramic tile floor and to this day I don't know how it didn't break, not even a chip on it.

WOW!!!   You are living a blessed life my friend!       Those glasses are pretty thin around the top third or more.    I'm amazed that a fall like that onto a surface such as that didn't result in disaster. 

I think you must have the luck of the Three Gods on your side.

WOW!!!   You are living a blessed life my friend!       Those glasses are pretty thin around the top third or more.    I'm amazed that a fall like that onto a surface such as that didn't result in disaster. 

I think you must have the luck of the Three Gods on your side.

It had to have hit on that thick solid base but still don't know why it didn't break.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Years ago, Glencairns were made of both glass and crystal. IIRC, they are now all  made of crystal. I was lucky enough to get a couple of the glass ones. The glass ones weigh just a little more, which I like, and they are definitely more durable. Mine have survived a few minor incidents.^_^

To be fair, every glencairn I have broken was my fault.  They typically hold up very well given what they are used for.  I just didn't understand why my brandy snifter violently imploded and this seemed like a good thread to vent.

One month into this thread and not one person has admitted to a drunken stupor trip/fall/drop/break.

I don't know if that shows how much we love our glassware, or how big of liars we all are! :lol:

16 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

To be fair, every glencairn I have broken was my fault.  They typically hold up very well given what they are used for.  I just didn't understand why my brandy snifter violently imploded and this seemed like a good thread to vent.

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

One month into this thread and not one person has admitted to a drunken stupor trip/fall/drop/break.

I don't know if that shows how much we love our glassware, or how big of liars we all are! :lol:

I guess I was not clear in my quoted post.  I have broken two glencairn glasses total, and in both incidents I dropped or knocked them over because I was having a little too much fun.  The brandy snifter really was not alcohol related.

^^^Eric, full disclosure here for me as well:  

Once upon a time, I recall having to dodge a thrown rocks glass.  Damn thing bounced off the wall, struck the floor, and still didn't break. 

She sure was a firecracker!

Oh - I broke a Glencairn by clumsiness (not drunkiness) - pulled the cork off a WT Master's Keep (which if a heavy mo-fo), and it slipped - falling squarely on my eagerly waiting Glencairn.  And of course this happened with an audience as I had some of the GBS folks over.  Was definitely disappointed, as that Glencairn bore the GBS logo and my nickname - but pushed on with the evening.  

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:02 AM, Paddy said:

We wake up the next morning with fuzzy memories and bad attitude, and a hapless cat walks through demanding kibble and a litter box change, of course he/she is going to get the blame

• 3 weeks later...

Two of my Glencairns have been eaten by the garbage disposal this year, all thanks to my old lady.

Women... Am I right?

My wife has broken two.  I currently have two.  She refuses to touch them or wash them now, which is fine with me!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.