Favorite Glass?

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've become a bit of a collector of glassware over the past year or so. I have several Glencairn glasses, nice bourbon glasses and assorted beer ones. So I'm curious, do you have a favorite glass to drink bourbon from?

Personally, I prefer my bourbon on the rocks most of the time. So I use a small glass that I got at BT. I have two of them (I seem to collect them in pairs) and they have become my go-to glasses. One side has a Buffalo on it and the other side has "Buffalo Trace Distillery" etched into it. I think they're nice glasses.

IMG_2040.jpg

post-7885-14489818011092_thumb.jpg

I have a gaggle of the Four Roses small rocks glasses..perfect heft for me and a small pour doesn't get lost in it.

For serious tasting I use my Riedel Ouverture bourbon glasses.

post-8565-14489818011382_thumb.jpg

On the left for first time tastings and on the right for on the rocks. But, the Four Roses glass in the middle gets the most use.

This topic has been covered over and over (I've started a thread or two myself) but I never get tired of checking out cool glasses. The BT glass looks great.

I posted a pic in the "Rotating glasses" thread of a cool Mt. Fuji glass that is my current go-to. Maybe I'll snap some shitty iPhone pics of some of my other favorites. I'd like to see some pics of everyones favorites, too.

A nice glass does add to the enjoyment of good whiskey.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

I have a glass that I purhcased on a recent visit to the Wild Turkey distillery. It feels really good in my had. I also purhcased a set of Ravenscorft glasses as well. Nice heft to them.

I also purhcased a set of Ravenscorft glasses as well. Nice heft to them.

Which Ravenscroft glasses did you get? Glassware geeks want to know! :)

My favotite glass has bourbon in it

This idea is probably spot on.

But I do tend to use the Glencairn glasses more than anything else.

170px-Glencairn_Whisky_Glass.jpg

My favotite glass has bourbon in it

Indeed, Paul.

I love using jam and jelly jars. Some of the jars I have actually tapers at the top, or the lip is more narrow, and it basically functions like a snifter.

Plus they're basically free, and indestructible, and you don't really care if you do break them.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a glass that I purhcased on a recent visit to the Wild Turkey distillery. It feels really good in my had. I also purhcased a set of Ravenscorft glasses as well. Nice heft to them.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I'm not gonna make another one this one isn't THAT old.

I have a weak spot for those gift packs at the liquor store. I love free stuff, so I always get the ones with the free glasses. I've yet to pick out which one will be my go to. I did get some Crown Royal glasses that look pretty cool and don't feel that cheap.

I'm sure I'll pick out a favorite one of these days.

I got some glasses that have Ball embossed on the side. They are threaded, so you can close with a lid if you don't finish your pour. Heavy glass. Hold about a pint.

I have two favourite glasses currently - the first is an Old Fitzgerald tumbler stemmed glass with the brand etched on the side and the second is an Old Fitz Jigger glass from the 1950s I think, just awesome.

post-3711-14489818420869_thumb.jpg

post-3711-14489818421464_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture I posted in a similar thread a while back. My set of four Glencairns are from a local tasting event and the distillery glasses were all picked up at the Sampler event in 2008 on our trip to KY. I prefer the Glencairn for nosing and tastings and the 1972 glass for mixers, but there's something about the feel of the Woodford glass that keeps me going back to it for my everyday pours.

post-563-14489818422053_thumb.jpg

Almost always a Glencairn for me; most of mine I got for cheap at a liquor store where they'd pulled them from the Old Forester Repeal gift sets. The rest have distillery logos and were picked up in the gift shops.

They're reasonably sturdy, I have broken fewer than I deserve. I like the hefty base, makes them stable.

When I want to have a pour in a rocks glass, I have some JBB gift set glasses that I usually grab. High West sells hand blown glasses in the style of their bottles, one of these days I'll pick some of those up. They'll go nicely with my local beer glasses.

I have a pair of Villeroy and Boch Single Grain Tumblers that I completely adore. Excellent all-around glass that works well for bourbon, rye, single malt, and any other whiskey. Feels good in the hand and holds aroma for extended nosing very well.

• 2 months later...

Until recently I've always used a lowball or rocks glass like the ones you get with Macallan or Dewar's. Sometimes a brandy snifter will do. Now I have some Glencairn Whisky and Copita glasses for nosing tasting and currently prefer the Copita. It's easier to hold compared to the Whisky glass (it's just an odd shape for me.) I also didn't know that the Glencairn (Whisky) has only been around since 2002 or so.

It's neat to see how preferences change over time. Here's a poll from almost 10 years ago: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?1848-Glassware-Poll

I use the Glencairns for critical tastings, but I love the feel/weight of my Crown Royal Black square tumblers. If I'm just drinking, the tumblers are always considered, though not always chosen. They came in a gift set, and I gifted the Crown, kept the glasses. One of the reasons I like them is that crescent shaped ice does NOT mimic the contour of the glass. Movement of liquid to my mouth is therefore NOT impaired. Ya gotta have priorities, right?

I almost always drink bourbon from Glencairns. Occasionally I'll pour into a rocks glass, but I tend to drink everything neat so my small pours get a bit lost. I have probably 100 or so beer glasses though. I probably regularly use 5-10 of those (more if you count what my wife and close friends routinely use). I'll try to take a picture and post it on here.

I have been using the 4R's glass that was in the gift pack this year. Great weight. Smaller than an normal rocks glass. I actually bought 4 on eBay for when I inevitably break the one I am using.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I came across the Cardinal f &d 11 oz. crystal whiskey/Old Fashioned glass on the 'net. Only $135.62, marked down from $259.72. Must be for drinking your $700 Pappy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.