Favorite Glass?

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I received some Chef & Sommelier Open Up Spirits Ambient (16cl) glasses on the recommendation of a friend across the pond:

OPEN_UP_SPIRITS_AMBIENT_U1062_5.5oz.jpg

I'm using this tonight and I think I've found my new favorite spirits glass - weight distribution is spot on, great for nosing, & just perfect for me.

Edited by ChainWhip

I received some Chef & Sommelier Open Up Spirits Ambient (16cl) glasses on the recommendation of a friend across the pond:

OPEN_UP_SPIRITS_AMBIENT_U1062_5.5oz.jpg

I'm using this tonight and I think I've found my new favorite spirits glass - weight distribution is spot on, great for nosing, & just perfect for me.

Beautiful glass. Looks like a Glencairn with a stem. How much does it hold? (Not that I would ever consider going over six or eight ounces at one time."

Beautiful glass. Looks like a Glencairn with a stem. How much does it hold? (Not that I would ever consider going over six or eight ounces at one time."

16cl comes to about 5.4oz. I'll take a side-by-side shot with the C&S and a Glencairn tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

I like my Glencarin when I am tasting, but I like this bad boy for healthy pours. I picked it up at Crate and Barrel for like $5. This picture brings me back to that refreshing pour on the hot summer day I took this photo. post-9349-14489819910429_thumb.jpg

post-9349-14489819910429_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I like my Glencarin when I am tasting, but I like this bad boy for healthy pours. I picked it up at Crate and Barrel for like $5. This picture brings me back to that refreshing pour on the hot summer day I took this photo. [ATTACH=CONFIG]16775[/ATTACH]

It looks a lot like my Canadian Glencairns at half the price. Good score for you!

Probably because they are Canadian Glencairns. Picked up a set of 4 early in the year there also. They do favor heavily in my glass rotation.

And a great price!

B

Probably because they are Canadian Glencairns. Picked up a set of 4 early in the year there also. They do favor heavily in my glass rotation.

And a great price!

B

Now that you two mention it...I think there is a small maple leaf etched on the bottom.

Now that you two mention it...I think there is a small maple leaf etched on the bottom.

It is hard to see the forest through the trees......or the leaf through the bourbon in this case.

Need to pick up a couple more and stash them away, been lucky so far, but a break will come someday.

B

• 1 month later...

Like most, I like the Glencairns. I use the small ones with the base for neat pours and tastings. For sipping, I use the Canadian Glencairn since I normally use one or two cubes of ice.

Irvig stemless wine glasses from Ikea are pretty kickass for $3, theyre small (4") with a narrow top and a nice tapered bottom that fits nicely in the hand.

• 2 weeks later...

post-9650-14489820318859_thumb.jpg

Hard to beat a sturdy Glencairn, but I've been looking for a copita type stemmed glass and found this at Crate&Barrel today. Called a Leopold and holds 6oz. Wide based and nice balance in hand. Like the wide bowl and tapered mouth for nosing higher proof pours. Just a bit wider than a Glencairn

.post-9650-14489820319251_thumb.jpg

post-9650-14489820318859_thumb.jpg

post-9650-14489820319251_thumb.jpg

I'm partial to the Chef & Sommelier Open Up Ambient.

That's a cool glass Eric!

Edited by ChainWhip

I got a nice crystal Copita glass years ago and I think I used it maybe four times. Stemware and bourbon just don't go together for me. I still seem to use a crystal Glennie about 80% of the time.

Right now I'm sipping some 4R from

A Canadian Glencairn. It's a functional glass but good Lord it is fugly. But it was a gift from a dear Canadian buddy, so I'm trying to like it.

I think having a wide variety of glasses available is great even if you mostly use one or two.

And a crystal glass of any shape is a thing of beauty for the hand. They just feel better to hold.

I found this online last night- maybe it's been discussed here before:

Cheers!

I'm partial to the Chef & Sommelier Open Up Ambient.

That's a cool glass Eric!

Saw those upthread. They look like stemmed Glencairns. Very cool.

My go-to glass is a mini brandy snifter I got at a beer tasting.post-9787-14489820326527_thumb.jpg

It's the perfect size for the smaller pours I usually have during the week, and I can still fit my shnoz in it. I think the receptacle is similar in size (~5.5oz) to the stemmed glass that Old Dusty posted a picture of. Anyone else use one of these?

My go-to glass is a mini brandy snifter I got at a beer tasting.[ATTACH=CONFIG]17486[/ATTACH]

It's the perfect size for the smaller pours I usually have during the week, and I can still fit my shnoz in it. I think the receptacle is similar in size (~5.5oz) to the stemmed glass that Old Dusty posted a picture of. Anyone else use one of these?

I have one that my mother gave me that looks just like it. I use it quite often.

Irvig stemless wine glasses from Ikea are pretty kickass for $3, theyre small (4") with a narrow top and a nice tapered bottom that fits nicely in the hand.

• 1 month later...

Ok time to fess up. I've for several months now to make Glencarins my go to glass but I just can't do it.

I'm just too old and set in my ways so I'm going back to the rocks glasses. I like the heavy feel, the fact that my big nose fits in it, and if I want to add a round cube of ice it's an easy fit. They are what my father used and his father before him.

When I started collection the Glencarins my wife put a limit on the total number of glasses so I gave away all my rocks glasses.

Just got two of the Waldorf Astoria bar glasses the other day from Amazon and now all is right in my world again.

I'm keeping a couple of the Glencarins for tasting new bottles and when freinds come by but I doubt they will get a lot of use form me.

Ok time to fess up. I've for several months now to make Glencarins my go to glass but I just can't do it.

I'm just too old and set in my ways so I'm going back to the rocks glasses. I like the heavy feel, the fact that my big nose fits in it, and if I want to add a round cube of ice it's an easy fit. They are what my father used and his father before him.

When I started collection the Glencarins my wife put a limit on the total number of glasses so I gave away all my rocks glasses.

Just got two of the Waldorf Astoria bar glasses the other day from Amazon and now all is right in my world again.

I'm keeping a couple of the Glencarins for tasting new bottles and when freinds come by but I doubt they will get a lot of use form me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.