Favorite Glass?

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have: Glencairns, old fashioned tumblers, NEAT glasses, and Riedel Vinum Brandy Snifters. Glencairns do my general heavy lifting, so I guess they are my favorite. Tumblers are for when I have guests who don't want to drink out of some silly looking glass and/or there is an off note in a whiskey that the glencairn really highlights. The NEAT glasses were for cask strength whiskies, but have been supplanted by the Riedel Vinum snifters. At this point, I'm struggling to find a use for the NEAT glasses, but it's like anything else: I'm certain down the road I'll find a whiskey that tastes the best when drunk from a NEAT glass.

The NEAT glasses are, well- neat. While similar to the Glencairn, I find them much easier to nose with.

However, they can be a little hard to drink from, especially getting those last few drops.

Now that I think about it, I don't use the NEAT glasses as much, since I got some Canadian Glencairns.

On a not-so-related note, I picked up this Mixing Pitcher today: http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/mixing-pitcher-yarai-design/138997920

I had purchased a similar one online recently, but the pour spout was so tiny, I often ended up spilling around the edge of the strainer.

I'll be trying this one out tonight.

Edited by kjbeggs

Do the Canadian glencairns function similarly to the NEAT? The design is somewhat similar.

Cheers

I find the Canadian Glencairn easier to drink from than the NEAT.

The liquid has to kind of "get over the hump" with the NEAT, so it's not always easy to drain.

The Canadian Glencairn offers a little more breathing room than the traditional Glencairn.

I am interested in the NEAT glasses. Do they live up to the hype?

Cheers!

They're okay. The one thing they do better than any of my other glasses is allow me to nose the high octane barrel proof stuff. They're not really an improvement for tasting it, and to me they are notably inferior to glencairns for non-CS whiskey. My snifters do a pretty good job but if you put your snorter in the wrong spot, you risk losing nose hairs. But the snifters spread the liquor out into a really thin layer and make drinking cask strength whiskey a pleasurable experience, which glencairns and NEAT glasses do not. I have some friends who love the NEAT glasses though.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds interesting, I'll have to find a way to pick up one or two. Living abroad that will be tricky, patience is a virtue.

So after a few emails and phone calls, I was able to ascertain that the NEAT Glass is in Taiwan. I procured two at a good price and I must say, they deliver as promised. The do make wonderful nosing glasses. One other neat feature is that as one drinks, one's (or at least my) schnoz is in the sweet spot (in the middle of the glass night above the rim), so I get the aroma in my nose, and no fumes. This seems to make the juice go down smoother, even higher proof bourbon like EWBiB. Maybe dangerously smooth!

It is a different experience than using Glencains, which focus aroma and fumes to your nose so you get more of a blast, while NEAT seems to be a bit more refined for lack of a better word. There is also the bit where the juice spreads on the tongue a bit differently (broader with the NEAT).

If you are enough of a booze hound to be on the board, you owe it to yourself to try one.

Cheers!

Full disclosure- I like snorting in the smells of an empty EC12 glass about as much as drinking it (maybe more!)

Edited by Vadertime

I tend to prefer stemmed glassware but love using the Talisker rocking glass on occasion - here's some of the stemmed ones I have:

15418755357_6c0c362a26_b.jpg

(Spiegelau Authentis (L), Spiegelau Authentis (S), Chef & Sommelier Open Up Ambient, Eisch Superior Single Malt, High West, Ardbeg Copita, Master of Malt, Glencairn, Chef & Sommelier Open Up Ardent, Night Shift Snifter)

The differences between them are subtle and don't really make much of a difference to me but I cycle through them from time to time (the Cognac glasses are great for nosing). I will say that I tried different types of liquor in a Rastal Teku glass (for beer) and everything I put in there singed my nose hairs and burned my olfactory endings...

(I've been told I may have glassware issues...) ;)

Edited by ChainWhip

I tend to prefer stemmed glassware but love using the Talisker rocking glass on occasion - here's some of the stemmed ones I have:

15418755357_6c0c362a26_b.jpg

(Spiegelau Authentis (L), Spiegelau Authentis (S), Chef & Sommelier Open Up Ambient, Eisch Superior Single Malt, High West, Ardbeg Copita, Master of Malt, Glencairn, Chef & Sommelier Open Up Ardent, Night Shift Snifter)

The differences between them are subtle and don't really make much of a difference to me but I cycle through them from time to time (the Cognac glasses are great for nosing). I will say that I tried different types of liquor in a Rastal Teku glass (for beer) and everything I put in there singed my nose hairs and burned my olfactory endings...

(I've been told I may have glassware issues...) ;)

Regardless of your alleged glassware issues, I appreciate the advice about cast strength whisk(e)y being more enjoyable from a snifter. It absolutely is for me.

I'm planning on doing some glassware testing in November. I'll update when done.

One thing that seems certain about glassware, when you find something you're interested in, BUY IT. When glassware goes out of production, it goes out of production HARD, and without warning.

• 2 weeks later...

Those look like a good option, Egg. I like Zwiesel...more to come...watch this space. I'll have a report in Jan when I finally return to civilization.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got my Whiskey Wedge yesterday and put it in the freezer.

will try it out next time I'm in the mood for something with a little ice.

It feels good in your hand, thick walls and a heavy base.

http://shop.coolmaterial.com/products/the-whiskey-wedge/?utm_source=CMBlog&utm_medium=CMBlogPost&utm_campaign=WhiskeyWedge# (although it's sold out at the moment).

post-10866-14489821724732_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Up to now, was using a Glencairn glass but have grown to not like them for reasons mentioned in this thread.

Just ordered a few of these, will let you know how it works out. I like the looks, clean and simple.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/winston-7-oz.-single-malt-glass/s386413

I plan to continue using the Glencairn for tasting new bourbons but plan to use the winston glass for nightly pours.

Edited by johnnybogey

This is my new favorite glass. 93d84a530233d4d4f0f5e820ceeea1ed.jpg

Hey J, is that some type of Copita? Or a small wine glass? What is the oz capacity?

Hey J, is that some type of Copita? Or a small wine glass? What is the oz capacity?

Yes it's a Copita. 5 oz I think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.