Favorite Glass?

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not a very good pic, but I finally sprang for a pair of the Cibi crystal "Bladerunner" glasses.

something to sip from when bringing your WWII vintage plane in for a crash landing...

Did you go for the single or double old-fashioned size?

I've been wanting some of these. Not cheap, but I like both the glass and the movie reference...

Did you go for the single or double old-fashioned size?

I've been wanting some of these. Not cheap, but I like both the glass and the movie reference...

I went with the double, since it's what was in the movie. The single would have likely been a fine size for holding any cocktail I might pour though.

I went with the double, since it's what was in the movie. The single would have likely been a fine size for holding any cocktail I might pour though.

Heh. They probably went with the double old fashioned size when filming so it wouldn't look tiny on screen... :-)

I've been looking for a set of 36 glasses for when I host tastings; I have plenty of glasses, I'm just an idiot and want consistency. Although I understand the glencarin is the whisky glass of choice, I really do not enjoy drinking out of them--especially for extended periods. I also wanted something cheaper. I just bought a set of these to organize spices and started drinking whiskey out of them. They have a wide base so there's enough contact with the air, it tapers in to focus the nose, they have sealable lids, and come out to less than $2 a piece. Right now I've got a few vattings going in them and can easily write on the glass what's inside and take a sip straight from them (prior to this I've been using vials from old Dalmore & Compass Box samples)

So I can: 1) vat in them 2) use for tastings and pre-pour w/ lid if need be 3) store spices 4) not break the bank. I'm pretty happy.

My favorite glass? Full, then empty. Full, then empty.

Seriously, I have a variety of shot glasses and a nice glencairn but I always opt for two BT shot glasses with a raised buffalo on them. I don't know why. I guess for sentimental reasons.

Call me crazy but I feel like glencairn with its narrow opening forces me to take small sips. I've tried old fashioned, rocks glasses and didn't like. Because of the wide rims, I was taking in huge mouthfuls of bourbon at once which was overbearing. Yea, I know, crazy.

Call me crazy but I feel like glencairn with its narrow opening forces me to take small sips. I've tried old fashioned, rocks glasses and didn't like. Because of the wide rims, I was taking in huge mouthfuls of bourbon at once which was overbearing. Yea, I know, crazy.

I don't care for the glencairn because I have a big nose which gets in the way

7646c6cf626c59cae1ac4e4339870acf.jpgThis is my favorite. I just like it

That's nice.

Call me crazy but I feel like glencairn with its narrow opening forces me to take small sips. ..

ditto

I've been looking for a set of 36 glasses for when I host tastings; I have plenty of glasses, I'm just an idiot and want consistency. Although I understand the glencarin is the whisky glass of choice, I really do not enjoy drinking out of them--especially for extended periods. I also wanted something cheaper.

Have you considered the Canadian whisky Glencairn for personal use? It is larger but still tapered enough to concentrate the nose and roomy enough for a cube or two. Not cheap though. For cheap, your spice jars look like a reasonable choice. Libbey makes lots of decent rocks glasses.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my three Go-To glasses. The one on the left came from FR after I asked them about a faulty label on a bottle of OESK I had purchased. The middle is a pentagonal shaped (on the base) 7.5oz glass that I really enjoy. Seems a lot of steakhouses around here are using the 5-sided glasses, which is probably why I have taken to this shape. And the one on the far right was my wife's grandparents, just a nice, classy, solid glass. I drink neat exclusively but this one is great for those who like rocks, though I use it for a neat pour quite often as well.

post-10771-14489822279623_thumb.jpg

I generally use one of these three. A regular Glencairn is my go-to 90% of the time. The mini-snifter gets used the least, but I do like to do a side-by-side with a Glencairn to highlight the differences. The last is a "rocks-type" glass that I use when I just want a neat drink without having to think about the nuances of the bourbon. That glass was actually used as a candle holder by my wife until I swiped it and gave it a better life.

post-2106-14489822281556_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just received these from Amazon for a tasting I am planning for some friends. They feel real good in your hand.

Don't know why it came out sideways

post-12239-14489822414507_thumb.jpg

post-12239-14489822414507_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-5040-1448982254511_thumb.jpg

New favorite...8 oz. capacity. This has a handy fill line (for demonstration purposes only).

post-5040-1448982254511_thumb.jpg

My wife got me four of these guys last weekend. Hard to see but it's etched with my initials, and then on the bottom is engraved "Fathers Day 2015." They are larger glasses than I usually drink from but I do love them nonetheless. A nice addition to the glasses collection.

post-10771-14489822545392_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bellemain whiskey glass on the left is my favorite and what I use 99% of the time. I don't always drink bourbon on the rocks, but when I do I use the rocks glass on the right.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21292&stc=1

post-12711-1448982262407_thumb.jpg

post-12711-1448982262407_thumb.jpg

I had to look up Bellemain whiskey glass. Found a good article at modern thirst.com. Sounds like they are 1/2 price Glencairn glasses. Have you compared them? Any difference?

I haven't tried Glencairn glasses, but these were even cheaper then that. I got a 6 pack of these for $18 shipped. From what I have read these are slightly smaller, and hold 6oz. For my intents and purposes of tasting whiskey these are perfect. I'm new to the hobby and eventually I'll get some true glencairn glasses to compare.

• 2 weeks later...

A girl that I'm seeing bought me a pair of Waterford 9 oz. tumblers with my name engraved on them for my bday. Definitely love the weight of them. Will try and post a pic later.

I haven't tried Glencairn glasses, but these were even cheaper then that. I got a 6 pack of these for $18 shipped. From what I have read these are slightly smaller, and hold 6oz. For my intents and purposes of tasting whiskey these are perfect. I'm new to the hobby and eventually I'll get some true glencairn glasses to compare.

I think the Bellemain glasses are virtually identical in size and shape but are slightly lighter in weight. They are perfectly fine and you can always pick up a set of Glencairn glasses to supplement your set which would be ideal for having a tasting with a few friends. Just so you know, I just bought another set of six Glencairns on Amazon for $31 which included free shipping and no tax.

Mrs TT has no problem with my bottle collection but has informed that any further glass purchases will mean one goes out for every new one that comes in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.