Favorite Glass?

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a set of 6 glencairn for $19 that were eligible for free shipping on order of $35 myself and they are just fine. I usually just use one per night, even when pouring different things, but having spares is nice for things like side by side tastings.

Just to be clear, what you linked are Glencairn-style glasses made by Bellemain. The genuine ones cost an additional $13 and are slightly weightier but are otherwise the same size and shape to the best of my knowledge.

Ahh, I stand corrected. Never paid close attention and I got those early in my journey. Thanks for the clarification. Guess I need to pick up a proper set next time I place an amazon order.

Ahh, I stand corrected. Never paid close attention and I got those early in my journey. Thanks for the clarification. Guess I need to pick up a proper set next time I place an amazon order.

• 1 month later...

I've grown tired of having to grab the base of the glencairn glass to have a drink.

To mix things up a bit, my High West tasting glasses just arrived. Hope to try tonight.

Here's a picture of the tasting glasses.

ok, so I've had a few pours out of the HW tasting glasses with mixed results.

When swirling the juice, there have been times when I would spill some. My guess is either I am clumsy or the glasses isn't tapered as much as the glencairn.

Going to try and pick up a copita glass and see how that goes as the copita glass looks to be longer.

ok, so I've had a few pours out of the HW tasting glasses with mixed results.

When swirling the juice, there have been times when I would spill some. My guess is either I am clumsy or the glasses isn't tapered as much as the glencairn.

Going to try and pick up a copita glass and see how that goes as the copita glass looks to be longer.

Do the swirling spills occur with your first pour, or after a few? :grin:

My policy about 'swirling' is to slowly allow the glass to tip around in a circle, in order to coat the sides far enough above the fill-level to see the "legs". More than that isn't really in my process.

I know a lot of folx swish 'em up pretty good; but I never saw a good reason to do that. Wine drinkers, especially, seem to swirl 'em pretty aggressively.

My policy about 'swirling' is to slowly allow the glass to tip around in a circle, in order to coat the sides far enough above the fill-level to see the "legs". More than that isn't really in my process.

I know a lot of folx swish 'em up pretty good; but I never saw a good reason to do that. Wine drinkers, especially, seem to swirl 'em pretty aggressively.

• 4 weeks later...

NICE!!! The lids are a really good idea when getting down to serious anaylsis, and these look like very nice glasses, besides. I'm not a giant fan of stem glasses, as I tend to tip 'em over once in a while, but other than my issues, I'd say your wifey did real good, Z327!

I'm jealous. Very jealous. Those glasses will be super for doing taste comparisons or for when guests are sharing the best.

Hidden

I use three different glasses for sipping spirits. TheRiedel Ouverture Tequila glass, the NEAT glass, and a Glencairn glass. I usethese on new spirits or for evaluating. Sometimes I'll use a medium sizedbrandy snifter for enjoying a favorite. I like the short stem and the way youcan cradle the bowl in your palm.

I use three types of glasses for sipping spirits. The Riedel Ouverture Tequila glass, the NEAT glass, and the Glencairn glass. I use these on new spirits or when evaluating. Sometimes I'll use a medium sized brandy snifter for enjoying a favorite. I like the short stem and the way you can cradle the bowl in your palm.

My wonderful wife found these while antique mall shopping. I think I will enjoy them having the lids.

Nice. I've been using some HW tasting glasses but wish the bowl was longer. May need to track down some of these glencarin copita glasses.

• 1 month later...

So I'm lazy and decided to drink out of a tiny mason jar...definitely not a Glencairn.  ^_^

image.jpeg

Edited by Heashfus

Excellente, Heashfus.  Probably historically accurate as well.

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Excellente, Heashfus.  Probably historically accurate as well.

Sometimes I really really enjoy bourbon out of the teeeeeny mason jar. Thanks for reminding me to post here. 

22 hours ago, Heashfus said:

So I'm lazy and decided to drink out of a tiny mason jar...definitely not a Glencairn.  ^_^

image.jpeg

I've drunk out of far worse.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎39‎:‎09‎, Heashfus said:

image.jpeg

Very Cool! It's good to change it up every now and then. ;)

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎56‎:‎16‎, z327 said:

My wonderful wife found these while antique mall shopping. I think I will enjoy them having the lids.

post-8428-14489822900512_thumb.jpg

Now that is awesome! What a great set. Congrats.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2014‎ ‎10‎:‎16‎:‎07‎, Clavius said:

I ordered and am looking forward to receiving two 5oz Stolzle Glencairn/Copita glasses from Cobhthaigh Celtique. I placed the order around 1PM and they were shipped three hours later to be delivered Friday.

scotch-whisky-nosing-glass-copitas.jpg

thanks for the link. I checked out the site. I am on the hunt for Copita Glasses and some other Glencarns.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.