jefferson 10 year rye

rutterb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 4 months later...

Have not tried it yet, but did grab some today for $25. Will check it out soon to see if I want to grab a few more at that price.

You guys are so lucky. Texas doesn't really comprehend the concept of bargin. If they put something on sale, it's because the product isn't worth having. Like, whipped cream flavored vodka. I never see any super premiums on sale. At Spec's they may knock off 5 dollars here and there, coupled with the 5% discount for using cash, and thats as close to a bargin as you're going to get. Witness the fact that Texas didn't get the Larceny rebate.

I find Jefferson's Rye (the 100% rye sourced from Canada) to be excellent (9 points out of 10). It is $35 here in MI (for a 750 ml bottle).

At NY WhiskeyFest a few weeks ago, the woman at the Jefferson's table told me that the latest batch of Rye was not sourced from Canada, but was from Kentucky. I know that's only hearsay, but I thought it was interesting. The Rye tasted fantastic.

At NY WhiskeyFest a few weeks ago, the woman at the Jefferson's table told me that the latest batch of Rye was not sourced from Canada, but was from Kentucky. I know that's only hearsay, but I thought it was interesting. The Rye tasted fantastic.

I heard the same yesterday from a pretty reliable source and was actually kinda disappointed because I was hoping to score some cheap WhistlePig.:grin:

KY here, but that was a sale price. It's usually closer to 35.

TPS was selling it for $24.79 at last check. It is readily available here for $10 more but I was thinking of putting an order together with several other things to off set the shipping cost and get another bottle. Perhaps the sale is to get ahead of the shift in source for the rye from Canada to KY though I am not sure why that would help. Maybe with a new source they are trying to move inventory.

Kentucky or Indiana? I mean, who except the former LDI would have so much aged rye lying around?

I'm thrilled, either way. I'm really stoked for the change in distilleries for the Ritthenhouse rye, and now this is going to change, too. New options are fun!

Lemme guess. Whistle pig out bid em on the remaining stocks. Whistlepig is expanding their product line with a higher proof offering at a really high price. Jefferson's is sent packing. Sad but possible

I heard that it was no longer Canadian the same time Unclebunk did. Somebody also said the label used to say Canada and now doesn't. If actually Kentucky, then it couldn't be LDI. I don't think any of this is definitive, just odds and ends somebody heard, so maybe a little bit of information fueling a lot of speculation. Always stay skeptical.

The thing about a brand like Jefferson is that what would be a drop in the bucket for, say, Rittenhouse, is a year's inventory for Jefferson, it's such a small brand. None of the distilleries sell bulk whiskey except when they do and even though rye is growing and rye supplies are generally tight, in any given season, somebody like Heaven Hill (or anybody) may need to make a small inventory adjustment, and that's all the Zoellers need for Jefferson's.

Edited by cowdery

Wouldn't they require a CoLA for the source change? Oops, I see they did submit one - nevermind.

Edited by MauiSon

Wouldn't they require a CoLA for the source change? Oops, I see they did submit one - nevermind.

They did, and surrendered the old label, if I'm reading it correctly.

The thing about a brand like Jefferson is that what would be a drop in the bucket for, say, Rittenhouse, is a year's inventory for Jefferson, it's such a small brand. ... in any given season, somebody like Heaven Hill (or anybody) may need to make a small inventory adjustment, and that's all the Zoellers need for Jefferson's.

Is that true? You know the numbers, and I don't, so I'll defer to your expertise. But speaking anecdotally, I'd have guessed the opposite. In the past 18 months or so, I've been to Chicago, Florida, Buffalo, and NYC twice. Almost every liquor store I go into has Jefferson's Rye. Not so much Rittenhouse.

Regarding the label, FWIW the lady at WhiskeyFest mentioned something about a paper label stuck on the bottle which mentions chill-filtering (can't remember if it was or wasn't). In any case, bottles with the label are filled with Canadian Rye, without the labels are from KY.

Haven't heard or read much about this. Does anyone have an opinion on this one?

Superb rye in my opinion. I had some more last night and was amazed with every sip. When it tastes this good I don't really care where it comes from.

Is that true? You know the numbers, and I don't, so I'll defer to your expertise. But speaking anecdotally, I'd have guessed the opposite. In the past 18 months or so, I've been to Chicago, Florida, Buffalo, and NYC twice. Almost every liquor store I go into has Jefferson's Rye. Not so much Rittenhouse.

Regarding the label, FWIW the lady at WhiskeyFest mentioned something about a paper label stuck on the bottle which mentions chill-filtering (can't remember if it was or wasn't). In any case, bottles with the label are filled with Canadian Rye, without the labels are from KY.

What Jefferson's sells in a year, Rittenhouse sells in a day.

The label on TTB COLA still says 100% Rye. If it has switched from Canada to KY, then who made it? Who makes a 100% Rye formula in KY? Nobody that I know of. Even LDI (or MGP) hi rye is 95% rye. 100% rye is unusual.

The label on TTB COLA still says 100% Rye. If it has switched from Canada to KY, then who made it? Who makes a 100% Rye formula in KY? Nobody that I know of. Even LDI (or MGP) hi rye is 95% rye. 100% rye is unusual.

Yeah, I just looked at a bottle on the shelf the other day, and though the only mention of origin is bottled by M&K in KY, it is still labeled as 100% rye. With all the interest in rye in the least few years especially, it would be quite the trick to keep a 10yo 100% rye made in KY a secret.

Of course, if it followed the TTB rules, the fact that it listed bottled location and not distilled location would mean it must have been distilled in the same state it was bottled...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.