jefferson 10 year rye

rutterb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Chuck, maybe it's some of that hollow tree whisky you mentioned, you know, the one made by the elves.

On the website for the brand, there is wording that it is made with 10 year old North American straight rye whiskey. This could mean Canadian whisky, but maybe it means (I now think) a mingling of American and Canadian ryes.

If it was all-U.S. origin, I wouldn't think they would use the term North American. So I think either it is all-Canadian in origin, all-Canadian but aged for a further time in the U.S., or a mingling of Canadian and U.S. If the latter, you wouldn't state I think that it is imported from Canada on the label, since not all of it is.

The label does states 100% rye, which would incline me to the first possibility (all-Canadian), but it is not 100% clear IMO.

Gary

I just purchased a bottle from TPS and it had a small 'Made in Canada' label on it. I guess the omission was noted and CYA'ed. Same Canadian source, but it's bottled in Cleveland now.

Edited by MauiSon

Hidden
I just purchased a bottle from TPS and it had a small 'Made in Canada' label on it. I guess the omission was noted and CYA'ed. Same Canadian source, but it's bottled in Cleveland now.

What's TPS? Thanks

At NY WhiskeyFest a few weeks ago, the woman at the Jefferson's table told me that the latest batch of Rye was not sourced from Canada, but was from Kentucky. I know that's only hearsay, but I thought it was interesting. The Rye tasted fantastic.
I heard the same yesterday from a pretty reliable source and was actually kinda disappointed because I was hoping to score some cheap WhistlePig.:grin:
I heard that it was no longer Canadian the same time Unclebunk did. Somebody also said the label used to say Canada and now doesn't. If actually Kentucky, then it couldn't be LDI. I don't think any of this is definitive, just odds and ends somebody heard, so maybe a little bit of information fueling a lot of speculation. Always stay skeptical.

The thing about a brand like Jefferson is that what would be a drop in the bucket for, say, Rittenhouse, is a year's inventory for Jefferson, it's such a small brand. None of the distilleries sell bulk whiskey except when they do and even though rye is growing and rye supplies are generally tight, in any given season, somebody like Heaven Hill (or anybody) may need to make a small inventory adjustment, and that's all the Zoellers need for Jefferson's.

So three different people found out by word of mouth that it's being now being sourced from KY instead of Canada. Hardly an unassailable fact, but consider the alternative: what motivation would they have to lie about it?

Another thing I've noticed locally is that the price has dropped by almost $10 just about everywhere, from roughly $40 to $30. Does that reflect a new, cheaper source? I don't know, but it got me to pick up a bottle.

Well, 'from' Kentucky doesn't mean the same as 'made' in Kentucky, but adspeak is a foreign language to me.

Could be a price drop reflects bottles aging on the shelves rather than a new source.

Edited by squire

Three people can hear the same rumor that started with one source. I doubt it's anything but Alberta Springs because I don't know of anyone who was making 100% rye ten years ago in sufficient quantity to supply even a small brand. The best available evidence now says it's still Alberta Springs. I do, however, note that Alberta Springs is owned by Beam, which may make a 100% rye at Clermont as a blending whiskey for its own house blends, such as Beam's 8 Star.

That doesn't necessarily mean Beam is selling the Alberta Springs whiskey to Zoeller and Pickerell. There could be an intermediary involved. But Beam is known to sell some bulk when it needs to adjust inventories.

Although no one has confirmed that Alberta Springs is the source, it is known that rye is the only grain they use, so it's a good bet. Gimli, Diageo's plant for Crown Royal and others, makes a 100% rye, but I haven't heard they're selling any of it as a straight and they're unlikely to have any in surplus. Forty Creek makes a 100% rye, but they're too small to be supplying anyone else. And, of course, with the exception of my Beam theory, those are all Canadian sources.

Edited by cowdery

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on a major Manhattan kick and have been using the Jeffersons 10yo Rye as my got to. I just picked up 2 more bottles as they were on sale and noticed that my Original had a "non chill filtered" sticker on the bottle and definitely was not CF as it was cloudy. The new bottles both appear clear and look like they have been CF'd. Is this representing a change in provenance or is it simply a marketing / production change as they feel consumers want clear liquor? Wondering as I have not had the chance to taste the bottles I just picked up.

I expect we will continue to see filtering, at least until the non-chill idea catches on in the popular mind.

I have been on a major Manhattan kick and have been using the Jeffersons 10yo Rye as my got to. I just picked up 2 more bottles as they were on sale and noticed that my Original had a "non chill filtered" sticker on the bottle and definitely was not CF as it was cloudy. The new bottles both appear clear and look like they have been CF'd. Is this representing a change in provenance or is it simply a marketing / production change as they feel consumers want clear liquor? Wondering as I have not had the chance to taste the bottles I just picked up.

I was unaware of the change the previous bottle I had was denoted as non chill filtered,I wonder when they made the switcheroo?I still find value there and will continue to purchase it in the future for around $30,why can't they just leave things well enough alone?

According to the lady at the Jefferson's table at New York Whiskyfest, the non-chill-filtered version is Canadian Rye. The newer bottles, without the label are Kentucky juice. I have no other information, I'm just passing on what she told me.

According to the lady at the Jefferson's table at New York Whiskyfest, the non-chill-filtered version is Canadian Rye. The newer bottles, without the label are Kentucky juice. I have no other information, I'm just passing on what she told me.

Good to know. Wherever it's from, I'm digging the whiskey and the price!

I wonder what the KY (distillery) source is for the Jefferson's Rye?

I wonder what the KY (distillery) source is for the Jefferson's Rye?

Deja vu all over again?

Wasn't this discussed a page or two back?

I suspect they can't just leave things alone because they have to accept the whisky as the maker sees fit to prepare it for sale.

It was - but no one seemed to have any insight into the KY link, other than the change in label on the Jefferson's Rye bottle. Thought I would ask to see if anyone had any new info.

A worthwhile topic to be brought up again. If we stopped at one discussion per subject this place would close.

I went out and bought a few of the older non CF stuff at $28.99 and did a side by side with the new unmarked bottles and it's obvious visually the new stuff is CF'd for sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.