jefferson 10 year rye

rutterb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So three different people found out by word of mouth that it's being now being sourced from KY instead of Canada. Hardly an unassailable fact, but consider the alternative: what motivation would they have to lie about it?

There's plenty of motive as to why you would lie about the source of a whiskey. Just the tip of the iceburg, Ryes, specifically American Straight Ryes, are making a comeback. If it says made in canada, how many people will think it's a canadian whiskey? They want this labelled as a rye. Why wouldn't they lie about this, if they can get away with it? The Zoellers seem to be more than marginally worse at confounding the facts than say, Drew at KBD, and that's impressive. As far as rectifiers go, only Perkins from High West seems to be relatively honest and has actually stated exactly where some of his whiskey has come from, and Preston Van Winkle doesn't seem to intentionally side track the facts a ton (there's some mis-info there but not a lot), and has been mostly up-front with where current PVW sources are from.

Edited by ErichPryde

• 6 months later...
I went out and bought a few of the older non CF stuff at $28.99 and did a side by side with the new unmarked bottles and it's obvious visually the new stuff is CF'd for sure.

Can someone explain what I'm looking at here? The bottle with the "Non Chill Filtered For More Flavor" sticker is unusually pale compared to the bottles of this I normally see.

post-5040-14489819725651_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tucker

Mine are all of the same color just the UCF'd version has the most barrel bits and nice flavorful floaties I've seen in any bottle I've ever purchased and you really can tell there is a slight difference in profile.I have no idea when the switch over is from 100% Canadian to 95% rye,have these hit shelves yet?

• 2 weeks later...

After finding this thread, I decided to try and hunt down a bottle of NCF Jefferson's 10 Year Old Rye. I found a product listing on the K&L Wines website that showed a photo of the "Non Chill Filtered For More Flavor" sticker, but the text description did not mention the product being non chill filtered, but it did describe them as rye sourced from Canada. Being of the cautious sort, I emailed the K&L Customer Service Dept., and received assurances that the product was indeed the NCF version. With my doubts seemingly put to rest, I pulled the trigger and purchased 2 bottles along with a few other items. When I received them yesterday, the bottles of Jefferson's rye were lacking the NCF sticker, and were labeled as being bottled in Louisville, KY, without any statement indicating that is was sourced from Canada. A little perturbed, I shot off another email to K&L, and got a response from David Driscoll a few minutes later stating that ALL of the Jefferson's rye product is NCF, whether the bottle has the sticker or not. So now, I'm more confused about this subject, than ever. The emails from K&L are shown below.

From David Driscoll:

"Jefferson's only makes one 10 year old rye whiskey, which is the one that we sent you. It is non-chillfiltered, but not all of the bottles have the sticker. Regardless of whether they have the sticker, this is the case. Now when I say Jefferson's only "makes one 10 year old rye,"Â that's really to say that they purchase 10 year old rye whiskey from Canada and then have it bottled in Kentucky. They had nothing to do with the production of the whiskey, other than finding it, purchasing it, and bottling it. It's actually from the same distillery that supplied Whistle Pig and Masterson's rye, also 10 year olds that state "Vermont" and "Sonoma County"Â on the label, rather than Canada. This is troubling trend in the spirits industry, where suppliers do not state the origin of the distillate, which is why we include it in our notes so that you know exactly what you're getting.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

David Driscoll

K&L Spirits Buyer"

And the initial response from K&L Customer Service:

"All of the photos on our website are taken in house by our staff photographer so the bottle you'd be ordering is exactly as pictured on our site. The Jefferson's 10 year old straight rye that we're selling is non chill filtered.

Thanks!

K&L Wine Merchants Customer Service Department

http://www.klwines.com"

Wow - did anyone else have that climatic "dum dum DUM" after reading that?? Very curious to hear more on this. I've only got the one bottle I just bought, but hoping some folks have older/newer to compare. Mine certainly looks nothing like the pic posted with that lovely, cloudiness. So maybe it is more the case of finding older batches?

I re-read this thread and decided to go pull out my bottle - I bought this maybe 18 months ago? Hard to remember ...

Neck Label: Batch 2, Bottle No. 1961

Printed on Front (no label): Jefferson's Straight Rye Whiskey, Aged 10 years, 100% Rye, 47% (94 proof)

No back label

Printed on a glued on label on the side: Standard Government Alcohol Warning, Imported by Castle Brands, Produced in Canada, Bottled by McLain & Kyne, Louisville, KY

There is no "NCF" label on the bottle, or mention of it being filtered or not. Since there are no paper labels on the front or back, you get a good view holding it up to the light - it is cloudy at room temperature, or at least it is far from crystal clear, so if it is filtered at all, it is very lightly filtered. My guess is this is NCF, just as David D. said in his email.

What batch number are they up to?

I have Batch 41, no NCF sticker, Produced in Canada. It has been opened, so I shook it and held up to the light. It looks like some small bits are floating, but not like a shredded kleenex :grin:. It's very good rye, even better at $35/bottle, but if I ever see one of the NCF bottles, it's coming home with me!

Bought my first bottle of his last week and no NCF label but I got to say it is onw fine rye and at a price I can really enjoy a lot of it.

I've got two bottles next to each other that both say "Produced in Canada." One is batch 5 and has the non-filtered sticker. The other is batch 41 and doesn't have the sticker. There's a HUGE difference in the cloudiness of them. The one with the sticker looks like the swamp thing could be hiding out in there. The other looks pretty normal/clear, with only a few small bubbles. It would be easier to see the difference in daylight, but I used the flashlight to show it as best as I could.

Either the ones that don't have the sticker really are chill-filtered, or certain barrels came out way more cloudy than others so they put the stickers on to keep people from leaving them on the shelves thinking something was wrong with them.

post-7933-14489819773017_thumb.jpg

Edited to add: I'm not trying to call K&L or David D out here. From my experience they're great, honest guys and I'm sure they're just passing along what they've been told.

post-7933-14489819772668_thumb.jpg

Edited by luther.r

I vote for chill filtering, if that's what the distillery decides to do it's not like Castle Brands has a choice in the matter.

Either the ones that don't have the sticker really are chill-filtered, or certain barrels came out way more cloudy than others so they put the stickers on to keep people from leaving them on the shelves thinking something was wrong with them.

I think you are on to something there - my bottle (batch 2) is somewhere between your two bottles, perhaps a bit closer to the cloudy one but not nearly as opaque as that appears. Chalk it up to batch variation.

Thanks for posting the pics I drug out a few myself and did a SBS visual evaluation but alas was too lazy to post.Yes there is a huge difference in the two indeed and the UCF'd looks like someone added a bit of fish food to it for lack of a better term.

Thank you, everyone, for you input and taking the time to do some comparisons of your holdings. My 2 bottles from K&L are from Batch 52, and are very clear. However, I just stuck one in the fridge, and the other in the freezer. I'll let them sit over night, and check on them sometime tomorrow (Friday), and I'll report back with my findings.

I vote for chill filtering, if that's what the distillery decides to do it's not like Castle Brands has a choice in the matter.

Excluding the NCF-stickered Jefferson's, NCF whiskey usually has the same clarity as the bottle on the right, right? Perhaps they originally bottled as-is, realized consumers might be distraught at uncomely bits adrift in their booze, and slapped a sticker on those already bottled while they proceeded to regularly filter the rest of the juice.

After overnight in the fridge, it is cloudier. Holding up to the light you can see very tiny bits/flakes floating around. So clearly NCF IMHO, but again my bottle is from an early batch. Had no idea they were up to batch 50+ ...

On some levels I find this sort of discussion fascinating but part of me is concerned with only one thing...whether i like the taste or not.

I do.

(That simple question reminds me of one of my bicycle friends; while most of us stand around at parties and talk endlessly about the relative merits of our drivetrain, the gear-teeth inches of each combo, and crank length, when asked about these things my friend simply shrugs and says "I pedal it and it goes...")

Bought my first bottle of his last week and no NCF label but I got to say it is onw fine rye and at a price I can really enjoy a lot of it.

Oh and it's Batch 50 bottle 1079

No joy regarding my fridge/freezer test of the Jefferson 10 Year Old rye. I pulled the bottle from the fridge this morning, and after wiping away the condensation, the liquid inside the bottle was as clear as it was before getting chilled; no floating particles, or sedimentation. I just pulled the other bottle out of the freezer, and while my initial reaction was that I thought there was an increase in cloudiness, it turns out that it was nothing more than frost that had accumulated on the outside of the bottle; wiping away the frost yielded nothing but the same clarity as it had going into the freezer.

I decided to pop open the bottle that was in deep freeze, just to see if I liked it. I have to say, I enjoyed this juice, regardless of whether it was NCF or not. However, I would have been happier had the bottles showed some indications of NCF while chilled, since the majority on SB.com have indicated that the NCF product would likely yield an even more flavorful rye. And now I will also continue to keep this bottle in the freezer, since I do enjoy my whiskey chilled, and this will avoid having to water it down with ice.

Whether or not it's chill filtered may be as simple as what was on hand at the distillery when the purchase order came in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.