What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Lost Pollito
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had some much maligned Old Overholt in a mint julep recently. I have to say, with plenty of sugar in the simple syrup and plenty of mint (out of control in mulch patch, by the way), this was really tasty.

Just acquired a bottle of the Pendleton 1910 Canadian Rye bottled in Oregon. I thought it was quite good although a bit disappointed they watered it down to 40 proof. I would prefer to make my own determination about how much water to add. A little more round in taste than some ryes but still plenty of peppery rye character to let you know what you are drinking. I seem to recall some speculation that the source is Alberta Springs but the company is apparently not interested in sharing the source. Their choice I suppose.

Also got an interesting bottle (actually 2 50 cl bottles) of 15 yo Roggenaer from the A. van Wees distillery de Ooievar (Meaning the Stork it would appear) in the Netherlands. I am fortunate enough to have a Dutch friend who travels home every year and asked them to look for this for me.

Delightfully delicate whiskey with only a hint of wood despite 15 years of aging and yet at the same time full of a nice fiery rye quality. Something very different and yet to me a quality whiskey despite its genever/gin roots. The website suggest a bit of citrus but I did not appreciate that as much.

Edit: I guess it is obvious this is not an American Rye so should perhaps be moved elsewhere? It's kind of gin but not really. Far more of a whiskey style at least to me.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I took a hit from an '09 bottle of Handy I've had open for a while and rarely seem to get to. My oh my, that is some tasty whiskey! Comparing it to a 5yo Willet rye (LDI), it is so much brighter, with the corn that's missing from the Willet really polishing up the glinting rye grains. I like the young LDI ryes (really only the Willet brand, as it's CS and unchillfiltered), but the Handy really sketches a more broad profile.

Really enjoying, although sparingly, the Leopold's Maryland style rye. To my tastes, might be the best rye I've had to date.

Some TPS Bowman Rye... nectar of the gods, to be sure. One of the best things I've ever had.

Think Handy... on steroids, with 4+ more years in wood.

Just had a little nip of WT Rye while making the kid's dinner. Man, I love this stuff and you can't beat the price!

Just had a little nip of WT Rye while making the kid's dinner. Man, I love this stuff and you can't beat the price!

The thread is titled 'enjoying', so you must be drinking the WT 101 Rye. Surley you can't be talking about the WT(F) 81.

The thread is titled 'enjoying', so you must be drinking the WT 101 Rye. Surley you can't be talking about the WT(F) 81.

Haha. I keep staring at that WT81Rye, and I think that sooner or later I'll buy one, just so that I can hate on it with authority!

After killing my bottle of EC18 last night I refilled my glass with Willet 5yr old rye. It was eggnog + nutmeg clear as day. I never got that out of the bottle before so maybe it has something to do with the combination. Going to see if I can pick that out again tonight without the EC's help.

At Jack Ryan's in D.C. and ordered two ryes I'd never tried. High West Bourye vs VWFRR.

I liked the VW just fine, but the Bourye was heavenly. Dang I need to find a bottle.

Definitely the 101. I've got a few bottles in the bunker and have a local store with a few more on the shelf collecting dust. Good solid rye at $20 is hard to beat!

I've grown quite fond of KC Rye, and have been drinking it regularly, as of late.

HOTALING'S - this is a fantastic pour, wish it was still in production!

post-6688-14489818041675_thumb.jpg

HOTALING'S - this is a fantastic pour, wish it was still in production!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13766[/ATTACH]

Welcome back! :D

baby saz in an Old Fashioned. this might be the summer go-to.

Tried this for the first time this afternoon. I give it six thumbs up.

post-6070-1448981804386_thumb.jpg

^Struggling with the photo add on the new SB. Should have displayed Willett Rye.

Was in a rye mood tonight so after dinner I went with pours of Vintage 21 and VWFRR. Aside from rye as a category these are both probably some of my favorite whiskeys overall

A dram of Beam Ri(1) followed by a healthy pour of Pikesville Rye.

Yay! Another Pikesville drinker! Probably my favorite rye on the market- and probably the cheapest on the market too! A true cult brand.

Knob Creek, and it is good. Interesting thing though, first bottle of KC that I have ever seen with a screw top!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!