What Rye are you enjoying Summer 2012?

Lost Pollito
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

$93..good/ bad? Damn, I always forget about the minimum character thingy

93 bucks is 32 bucks less than what I paid for mine so I guess I have to say yes, buy 'em.

Enjoying some 2011 THH tonight. Some mentioned it changing further down, and I wonder if it is just the density of char sediment since this is unfiltered? I try to swirl it around a bit in the bottle before pouring to mix it up, but even then the heavier pieces settle fairly quickly. Either way - loving it this afternoon!

This evening I am watching the Olympics with Rendezvous gracing my glass. With this newest bottle, I am getting a lot of hay/straw which I am enjoying.

I picked up that strong hay/mown grass note on the nose when I first opened my bottle of Rendezvous. It completely disappeared after a couple pours. Can't say I miss that particular note much, but the rest of the bottle has been AWESOME! So much so that I brought it to share at a party and it starting going so fast that I hid the bottle so I could save a glass or two for myself. Bad form? Perhaps I just need to go buy another bottle.

I'm enjoying a small pour of the 16yo High West Rye at the moment. This half bottle was fairly hard to track down, so I've been conserving it.

Can I just say that I love High West? I've got a couple bottles of the 21yo Rye sitting on the shelf at $115 nearby. Worth it? I also can't wait to try Campfire.

Wow. I feel double lucky to have found my bottle (at $65) now!

ETA: OOPS. See now you were talking about the High West.

Willet 4yr." Groundbreaker" I am quite impressed and you would never guess this is only 4 year old rye,they really did their homework on this one.I would guess this rye to be in the 6-8 yr range with the flavor profile and the proof is great and never over powering.I should have bought a few more of these while in Kentucky,for the price absolutely can't be matched.

VWFRR along with a Gurhka Vintage 2001. A very nice combination

I'm finally getting into my bottle of McKenzie Rye. A nice, rosy-cheeked spiciness comes off a well-balanced, sweet palate that kicks off with sugar honeydew melon notes after a respectably bitter entry. This stuff is really growing on me. The buzz this imparts (much like with Leopold's ASBW) has a distinct buoyancy to it. It's very hard to compare this with more aged, industrially distilled ryes; I think that in order to really appreciate what's going on with this, you have to be willing to let go of a lot of what you think you know about whiskey.

It rewards you if you do.

I agree with your opinions on McKenzie Rye Aaron. I'm enjoying the bottle I have.

Fleischmann's is loosing the banana character nicely, and becoming a great rye. Had a pour last night after some JW Dant BIB, and flavor wise it held up after the 100 proof nicely.

I'm finally getting into my bottle of McKenzie Rye. A nice, rosy-cheeked spiciness comes off a well-balanced, sweet palate that kicks off with sugar honeydew melon notes after a respectably bitter entry. This stuff is really growing on me. The buzz this imparts (much like with Leopold's ASBW) has a distinct buoyancy to it. It's very hard to compare this with more aged, industrially distilled ryes; I think that in order to really appreciate what's going on with this, you have to be willing to let go of a lot of what you think you know about whiskey.

It rewards you if you do.

A great review! It is now on my list to try. Thanks.

I agree with your opinions on McKenzie Rye Aaron. I'm enjoying the bottle I have.

Fleischmann's is loosing the banana character nicely, and becoming a great rye. Had a pour last night after some JW Dant BIB, and flavor wise it held up after the 100 proof nicely.

Where in Wisconsin did you find the Fleischmans?

In other words, how far from the Twin Cities would I have to drive to pick up a case of handles?:grin:

He picked it up on Wisconsin's east coast, and I've never seen it west of the Fox Valley.

So what you all are telling me is that I need to make a road trip to the next Vikings/Packers game at Lambeau.... [checks schedule] on December 2nd :bigeyes:. No thanks!

I picked up the handles in Sheboygan Falls. Not sure where else it may be sold though.

I'll be in town on the 14th - 16th, next week. I think the evening of the 15th is "scheduled" but the 14th is free.

So enjoying is not the right word, but I tried the Hudson Manhattan Rye. The name seems fitting becuase while it might be decent in a Manhattan, it is not an enjoyable sipper. The nose on this young whiskey 'aged 4 years or less' is astringent and smells very heavily of cereal grain mixed with rubbing alcohol. On the palate, the grain flavor continues before developing a very sour rye note - normally I really like the rye sourness, but not when it is so one-note and intense. I would post notes on the finish, but there did not seem to be one - a little burn and then...nothing.

Exceptions aside, I generally tend to think of craft whiskeys as overpriced and not very good. In my mind, this young rye is no exception. At a steep $35+ per 375ml I will not be adding this to the bar, especially when considering much better whiskeys can be had for less.

Edited by LostBottle

At a steep $35+ per 375ml I will not be adding this to the bar, especially when considering much better whiskeys can be had for less.

I've only tried their Baby Bourbon, and the notes from their website (Expressively woody, superbly smoky, with mellow notes of vanilla and caramel) didn't line up with what I got in my bottle. I didn't expect a lot of character based on the age, but I'd take EWB over it even at the same price. Just curious if other folks have had better experiences with anything in their lineup?

I've only tried their Baby Bourbon, and the notes from their website (Expressively woody, superbly smoky, with mellow notes of vanilla and caramel) didn't line up with what I got in my bottle. I didn't expect a lot of character based on the age, but I'd take EWB over it even at the same price. Just curious if other folks have had better experiences with anything in their lineup?

I agree Gary, I tried the entire line up with my father in the spring at Binnys.Price point and fllavor does ot constitute the price of these offerings.If you do not like the Baby Bourbon, you need not even try the others in the line up,as I found it to be the best which was not very good.

a quick pic of the Wisconsin Rye Raid I just got home from:

post-7301-14489818168388_thumb.jpg

Stephen Foster

Fleischmann's x3

McKenzie

Enjoyed a rye flight last night: RittBIB, Baby Saz, and Willett. The Saz won that round coming off like liquid candy, but they were all delicious.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!