Thomas H Handy

rutterb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

See a few stores with multiple bottles. Price is just under $90. Can't seem to find any other BTAC around like this one. Is the Handy just not one that people shop for?

See a few stores with multiple bottles. Price is just under $90. Can't seem to find any other BTAC around like this one. Is the Handy just not one that people shop for?

Yeah, Handy seems to be the unpopular one along with ER17. I'd be all over the Handy if it were a bit cheaper. There is still over a case of it at $79 at one of my local stores from the fall release.

Same here. If it was $50 I'd spring for a few. At $69 it's kind of a special occasion purchase.

I like Handy and think it a fine rye. For the price, I'd take 4 Ritt BiB every time. Nothing wrong with it, just overpriced.

Agree - it is one of those "special pour" whiskeys, although I never see it around Atlanta except right after it comes out in the fall. It is my all-time favorite rye, but not a "daily drinker" at that price.

To me Handy is a benchmark rye: the Stagg of ryes, at almost 130 proof and loaded with unadulterated rye flavor. Worth every penny of $70 IMHO.

To me Handy is a benchmark rye: the Stagg of ryes, at almost 130 proof and loaded with unadulterated rye flavor. Worth every penny of $70 IMHO.

I'd agree with everything you said if it were a bit older. While barrel strength is always a plus in my book, at this price I'd love to see it with 10+ years of age.

I'd agree with everything you said if it were a bit older. While barrel strength is always a plus in my book, at this price I'd love to see it with 10+ years of age.

Try to get your hands on some of the old Bowman Rye from TPS if you can. It's 10+ year old BT Rye (so it's Handy/Sazerac) at about 140 proof.

Nectar of the gods is an understatement.

About $5-$10 more than Handy, however, if you can find it... They only ever released 3 barrels.

Handy is stellar rye, and your first bottle is not to be missed. Once you know it, however, the high price tag quickly becomes a barrier to entry. My first bottle of 2010 taught me that I love rye whiskey, but I didn't bother to drop another $80 on last year's release. I've picked up a bottle here and there at around $65. If it was $50, I'd never not have any.

Try to get your hands on some of the old Bowman Rye from TPS if you can. It's 10+ year old BT Rye (so it's Handy/Sazerac) at about 140 proof.

Nectar of the gods is an understatement.

About $5-$10 more than Handy, however, if you can find it... They only ever released 3 barrels.

Bingo! The barrel-strength Bowman really shows the potential for the Handy with a little extra age on it. I tried both side-by-side and there was no comparison. The Handy smelled, and tasted, like paint thinner (OK not that bad, but you get the picture it was much more astringent and lacking in flavor) in comparison to the richness of the Bowman.

At 6-7 years old, the Handy should be dropped from the antique collection and be available year round for a few bucks less. While a very good rye, it is not one of the greats.

Edited by LostBottle

• 3 weeks later...

Easily one of my favorite ryes. Some might say I have too much, but I don't have enough :D

I'm not sure why but it is never more than $56-57 around Columbia. And almost always, like now, available. My local store owner said the cost to the store is less than $50 but won't tell me exactly how much.

I know of a few places where I can walk in and take my pick of 2 or 3 different releases of Handy, but the $70-80 price tag keeps me from giving it a try. I am becoming more interested in ryes, so it looks more appealing each time I see it. Maybe one of these days when I'm more flush with cash ...

There's a joint here locally (Atlanta) that has multiple bottles and a case on the back shelf. Price is something like $129 a bottle. I'd like to try a bottle, but not that bad. I've seen a couple outside of town for $65, but have never jumped. I might stop and grab one at that price the next time I'm in that area.

If I saw it for under $60, I'd definitely but a couple. I think I paid like $75 last fall for mine, and would drink it more often if it wasn't so expensive. It sounds like I need an excuse to go to Columbia, SC! Although the price of gas there/back would kill any savings on a couple of bottles :)

If I saw it for under $60, I'd definitely but a couple. I think I paid like $75 last fall for mine, and would drink it more often if it wasn't so expensive. It sounds like I need an excuse to go to Columbia, SC! Although the price of gas there/back would kill any savings on a couple of bottles :)

Don't you remember?!?! We now have a GBS Mule in Columbia!! :D

Don't you remember?!?! We now have a GBS Mule in Columbia!! :D

Eureka!! I completely forgot!! BigRich - take notes and let me know where to send the checks to (unless you take PayPal, etc) :D

Never paid more than $66 at retail. At that price it's a bargain. More than that and I would seriously hesitate.

Never paid more than $66 at retail. At that price it's a bargain. More than that and I would seriously hesitate.

For $80 round my parts 2 Willett 6yr. for less is a damn fine alternative,I still really like this rye.Makes for one hell of a Manhattan than no Vermouth can trump or over shadow.

O-ver Ra-ted *clap clap clapclapclap*

I think you are being a little too hard on Mr. Handy, Josh.

Remember, can't get baby Saz at barrel proof.

Yeah, that's basically what it is. But since the last price hike, it's no longer a good buy even based on proof. It is easy to find in Michigan, tho, so that's something.

O-ver Ra-ted *clap clap clapclapclap*

I can see that.

THH is kinda frustrating too, the first one I had I thought it's not only the best rye I've ever had but one of the best whiskies also.

Then about a third down the bottle the youngness of it kicked in for me and that's why I say it's frustrating.

Could you imagine a 10 or 12yo THH at barrel proof? Wow!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.