Whiskey and America --- from Fortune Mag 1933

jburlowski
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

+1.

What became of Publicker's artificially aged whiskey? What was it called?

This sentence from the main article is very interesting: "By last summer there had been distilled some 10 million gallons of newer whiskey, and then, with repeal in the offing, there began a mad scramble for whiskey that first drew the public's attention to the liquor business and culminated in the stock market's flurry and inevitable crash." This is the first time I have ever heard this idea. Does it still have any credence?

Tim

Edited by ratcheer

I first read this many years ago and bought an issue of the magazine in which it is contained from an online company which stocks old issues of major magazines. (Lots of other interesting things in Fortune 1933, with articles on Cannon rugs for example and lavish ads for luxury cruises and cars, soaps and other consumer articles).

That comment Tim is almost certainly addressing speculation in liquor stocks, not any larger crash.

I like the general tone of the articles, which is assured and "snappy", it is reminiscent of movie dialogue of the era.

Gary

Great article! Definitely snappy, conversational, and entertaining reading.

I wonder where I can find a bottle of the notorious brand called "'Puntang' whiskey, made in Indiana, advertised as an aphrodisiac, consumed in large quantities by truck drivers, bellhops, etc." :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.