St George Single Malt

onewman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found several bottles of the 2011 version and looking for any comments on same.

I love scotch.....I love bourbon.....I love rye......St George's is the only whiskey I have ever given away (I gave it to another SB'er 2 years ago and I understand the bottle is still pretty full...obviously this is not a 2011 bottle....it was from the first release...I forget the year. To me it is a spirit that doesn't know what it wants to be. St. George's made Eau de Vie before they tried a single malt and I think it ends up being in the middle of the 2 spirits. I have met some folks that rate it "not bad", but I'm to the point now I won't even taste it if its offered to me.....but that's just my taste.

This whiskey has gotten MUCH better since the initial releases; less spirited, better integrated malt/wood character, etc.

That being said, still fairly expensive, and still needs more age.

• 7 months later...

I'm interested in this so excuse the thread resurrection. Anybody try Batch 12? It's supposed to be composed of different barrels of varying ages (I think I read 5-12yrs somewhere).

For our current release (Lot 12), Dave ventured deep into the far corners of our whiskey library and drew from 15 different barrels averaging about eight years old (as young as five and as old as twelve years old).

http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirit/single-malt-whiskey/

Their 30th Anniversary single malt looks truly intriguing. Finished in pear eau de vie barrels mmmm

Their 30th Anniversary single malt looks truly intriguing. Finished in pear eau de vie barrels mmmm

It's interesting you of all people replied to my query because it was a choice between the St. George Single Malt vs. the Balcones Single Malt for me.

Edited by ChainWhip

At $400 a pop. Let me know how it is. ;)

I'll be in the SF Bay Area in April, probably make my way over to St George's at some point and hopefully get to try it for free :D

• 3 months later...

Had a free sample of this last night. I know, lucky to say the least.

Hard to describe, as it doesn't really fit into a "category".

The pear really comes through on the nose. It's really a delight to nose.

Viscous in the mouth, coats throughly. Sweet, fruity, light.

it's good, but it's not in my line of taste. But I was happy to down the sample I was poured.

B

• 2 weeks later...

It's not like any SMS I've ever tasted - batch 12. No peat, wood influence is faint, and it's so fruity/malty that it really has no parallel in the world of whiskey IMHO. A true dessert whiskey, even a lady who drinks Riesling and moscato could enjoy this neat. Ok maybe that's pushing it. In the right context it's very enjoyable but too fruity for a stand alone dram.

Had a free sample of this last night. I know, lucky to say the least.

Hard to describe, as it doesn't really fit into a "category".

The pear really comes through on the nose. It's really a delight to nose.

Viscous in the mouth, coats throughly. Sweet, fruity, light.

it's good, but it's not in my line of taste. But I was happy to down the sample I was poured.

B

My experience is that when you try to make malt whisky from non traditional stills it's just gonna taste different. By nontraditional I mean stills unlike the copper pot stills usually used in Scotland.

The new small distilleries popping up, not just in the US but also in the rest of the world, often use multipurpose still setups like Carl and Holstein Stills

If you come into these malts with a scotch heritage these new malts are bound to judged to be tasting a little bit funny and weird. Often a more floral, eua-de-vie 'ish flavour

Apart from the different tasting sensation I have also often experienced stuff that wasn't made properly (bad cuts) or simply bottled too young, but this is another side of the story. End of the day these stills seems to make another style of whisky

If you like it or not is a matter of taste. Most people don't prefer this style to traditional. Drinking Habits. Who knows ?. Personally I have had a lot of malt whiskies from these stills which I found pretty not to my taste. It being whisky from Denmark, France, US, Germany, Canada

Maybe things will change when we see a considerate amount of older stocks where you have some casks to pick between. Making good whisky is also about statistics, and the more casks you have, the bigger chance of something exceptional good rises

In Denamrk we have a small amount of new small distilleries, and I found the quality of their spirits is directly dependant of the type of stills they use. The ones I think is by far the best is the ones using traditional stills

Bear in mind, that I am only speaking about malt whisky here. I have tried very good examples of other styles of whiskies from these "new" stills

The only good examples of good malt whisky from these kinda stills has been either influenced by either peat or intense wine (sherry to be precise) casks

The one good example I can think on, from the top of my head is McCarthy's Oregon single malt. It is heavily peated

Steffen

Thanks for that post Steffen, very interesting observations. Among the other brands have you had a chance to try the Millstone Dutch Rye whisky from the Netherlands?

No I didn't. I heard some good things about it.

I tried some Millstone many years ago. I can hardly remember it so it couldn't have been too bad. I remember other whiskies from that tasting being worse (It was a WORLD WHISKY tasting in Edinburgh). Waldviertler, an austrian whisky came through as revolting and a french buckwheat whisky (technially not a whisky then) which was tasting different than other whiskies I have tried, but not too different

With all the endless amount of small craft distilleries out there, some of it is bound to be good, if not now, then at some point

But I think the type of stills used have a great importance to what kind of malt whisky is produced

Steffen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.