So I bought a few cigars...

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cain Daytonas are quite good IMO.

I remember the excitement of getting my first humidor, and I don't mean to take the wind out of your sails, but forget it.

You are already getting a taste of the hassle with topics like seasoning, salt testing, humidity control, etc.

Get yourself a Tupperware container of whatever size you like. A small 2-3 qt is perfect. At one time I had a 60 qt ice chest ice chest full of boxes.

Go here at get some humidity beads - http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Rh+Humidity+Beads

65% or 70% hotly debated, but many prefer 65%

ALWAYS use distiller water. A gallon is a couple bucks and will last ages.

Put a digital hygro in there if you feel compelled. It's not really needed as the beads will keep things steady. But I understand wanting one. Just make sure it's digital.

As for cigars, try - Pepin Garcia black label, Illusione, Tatuaje, Alec Bradley

Both the Cain Daytona and the Brick House were good, IMHO. I couldn't finish the Daytona but what I did smoke of it was great. The Brick House for $4.90 was excellent.

I've read that humidors can be a pain. But I look forward to setting mine up. Even if seasoning it takes a few days.

In other news I started a journal out of a regular old composition notebook. On each page I tape the band from the cigar onto the paper then write a few notes on the smoke, the date and the price of the cigar. About two cigars per page. I had been saving the cigar bands and wanted to do something with them. I thought that this might be useful in the future.

I've compiled a list of cigars I want to try and find here. Let me know what you guys think of it and if you have any suggestions please chime in!

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 – Robusto

Rocky Patel Vintage 2003 – Robusto

Arturo Fuente Hemingway:

-“Best Seller†Perfecto

-“Short Story†Perfecto

-“Signature†Perfecto

Arturo Fuente Sun Grown:

-Cuban Belicoso

-Chateau Fuente – Robusto

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos:

-Belicoso

-Double Robusto

Ashton Virgin Sun Grown:

-Belicoso #1

-Robusto

Oliva Serie V Double Robusto

AVO XO Intermezzo Robusto

Oliva Cain Daytona Robusto

Oliva Cain 550 Habano Robusto

Padron 3000

Got my humidor from Amazon today. Just unpacked it and took a few photos. This thing looks great for what I paid for it (which was $25). I'm sure the hygrometer and humidifer are junk but I already ordered an electronic hygrometer and a different humidification device. It's small but I can't see myself needing one larger anytime soon. I think it will work fine.

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

Got my humidor from Amazon today. Just unpacked it and took a few photos. This thing looks great for what I paid for it (which was $25). I'm sure the hygrometer and humidifer are junk but I already ordered an electronic hygrometer and a different humidification device. It's small but I can't see myself needing one larger anytime soon. I think it will work fine.

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

It looks great, and is a nice size... the only question will be, how good is the seal, and how often will you need to add water. If the seal is good, then you got a great deal.

It looks great, and is a nice size... the only question will be, how good is the seal, and how often will you need to add water. If the seal is good, then you got a great deal.

Seal seems pretty tight. But only time will tell.

I said the same thing, and I'm willing to bet that Jaymonster, cigarnv, and everyone else that posts here did too at one point....it's only a matter of time. :cool:

• 1 month later...

Just coming to this thread a bit late. I prefer mild cigars when also sipping bourbon or scotch, my choice is usually a Romeo y Julieta or if I want to treat myself a Davidoff Anversario no. 3 en tubo. Both, I feel, are very mild and pair well with a good bourbon or single malt scotch.

If you're looking for a decent selection try here:

http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/

I've had great experiences with them in the past.

Just coming to this thread a bit late. I prefer mild cigars when also sipping bourbon or scotch, my choice is usually a Romeo y Julieta or if I want to treat myself a Davidoff Anversario no. 3 en tubo. Both, I feel, are very mild and pair well with a good bourbon or single malt scotch.

If you're looking for a decent selection try here:

http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/

I've had great experiences with them in the past.

That is a great shop, I was there while down in Florida and they had a huge selection.

Best regards, Tony

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.