The SB Blend.... Best ratio of OWA & Weller 12???

Tico
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I prefer a W12 heavy blend of about 3:1.

This thread reminds me that I need to mix a new batch up...

As a housewarming gift for a friend I gave him a blend of about 60% age stated OWA with about 25% Van Winkle Lot B (which is very akin to W12, but better) and about 15% WLW. It was excellent.

After growing paranoid about the posts of W12 disappearing, I've mixed some "micro-batches" of OWA & Larceny and OWA & Old Fitz 1849. Then (of course), found a W12 :lol: I love my 60% OWA/40% W12 mix, and if anything might go heavier on the OWA (or I like the idea of throwing a little WLW in there). But for now, can't mess with it when it is so freaking delicious as is!

How was the batch with Larceny?

Haven't tried it yet, letting it marry for a week first. But hopefully!

Did my first blind tasting today, and was really surprised by the results. After traveling this week, I want to repeat this for sure as I think my smeller may be a bit off. Here are the results from the first go at it though.

1: 50/50 ratio of Larceny and OWA

2: 50/50 ratio of Old Fitz 1849 (current bottling) and OWA

3: My SB Blend of 60% OWA & 40% W12

Nosing

1: Reminds me of a dusty, like older ND juice (disclaimer - I've had very little, but this is the connection my brain is making whether correct or not!) Smells fairly nice – like older stuff! Thicker, sweet, but not overly sweet. Just a hint of mustiness.

2: Also nice, just a touch of mint (which gave it away as Old Fitz).

3: Similar to, but not quite as nice. Just a bit more plain to me.

Palate

1: Very nice – more sweet than the others, although I get a very slight hint of mint. Bit drier than my SB blend (although my favorite of the three). Sirens going off - I'm not getting a lot of caramel/vanilla, which I would definitely expect to get in my SB blend.

2: Get the mintyness that reminds me of Old Fitz, but with a bit more burn. Bright, crisp, not very sweet – more dry than anything.

3: Bit more sweet, but also on the dry side. Thin, no mint, and less burn. Had the most noticeable change with a few drops of water (no impact on the others). Brought a bit more sweetness and warmth to it.

I gave sample 1 an 84, with sample 2 an 82, and sample 3 a 76. Bernie's book can give you the value of these ratings :lol:, but basically - I preferred sample 1 a bit over sample 2, and didn't think much of sample 3. My guess was that 1 was my SB Blend since I did like it more (although I couldn't figure out why it had any hint of mint, as I get none of that usually). Now I know why!

I'm going to repeat this same tasting between Larceny+OWA and my SB Blend at some later date when everything seems to be in better working order. Based on this initial pass though, I would encourage some others to try a Larceny/OWA mix and share their thoughts on how that compares to the SB blend!

Very interesting but I can't overemphasize how each bottle of each brand mentioned does vary bottle to bottle. It means IMO that one cannot replicate the results obtained by any one blender. Indeed the blender cannot on a later occasion, using different bottles. Even small differences in batches can make a difference in the mingled result. All approaches discussed here are excellent guides but not more IMO again.

Gary

Very interesting but I can't overemphasize how each bottle of each brand mentioned does vary bottle to bottle. It means IMO that one cannot replicate the results obtained by any one blender. Indeed the blender cannot on a later occasion, using different bottles. Even small differences in batches can make a difference in the mingled result. All approaches discussed here are excellent guides but not more IMO again.

Gary

Just to throw one out there: I vatted my SB blend (which was 1:1) and Larceny at approximately 1:1 and it was really tasty. If my pours were right it was 25%OWA/25%W12/50%Larceny. Worked really well on ice watching the hydroplane race not happen on the Ohio River this weekend.

Thanks for the science, Darylld911! Well done. Good to know Larceny brought something different and good/better to the party. I'll have to give it a try once I finish of my 1-1/2 bottles of SB Blend.

Gary

Agree that each brand varies bottle to bottle, and while the results would not be identical - do you believe they would be dramatically different? I completely accept that variances in batches will carry that variance to the mingled result. It sounds like what you're saying is that since each brand varies bottle to bottle, the fact that I like this bottle of OWA 107 doesn't mean I'll like the next one; it would merely be a guide to suggest that I might like the next one (and IMHO, while there is variability - these brands are not single barrel products and have less variability than others in this space).

I've honestly never finished a bottle of my own SB blend (when it ran low, I simply added more in the same proportions; and it tasted pretty much the same to me). Are you talking more about changes over time (ie - an OWA bottled this year compared to one bottled several years ago), or just the inherent variability in whiskey (different barrels, different ages, etc)? Not trying to be argumentative - truly looking to learn more than I know today. About bourbon at least (anyone tries to teach me calculus again, it ain't gonna be pretty!)

No you've said it right, I just mean, the taste likely won't be exactly the same the next time (with different bottles), the mouthfeel as well. Thus, I'm suggesting no one should feel that say a 50-50 blend is fixed, it may take 52:48 next time. It's all down to the final judgment of the blender and taster. Everyone too would have a different tolerance for small differences in flavor.

Gary

Just on the point of topping up a blend with the same mix from later bottles, this is what I do as well, and I'd like to think the multiplying effect of adding subsequent bottles of the same brand would increase complexity. I also sometimes alter the blend as it drops in the container, adding a third whiskey for a different effect, or a little less of one to adjust for some factor I feel may be attributable to a slight difference in the next bottle.

Gary

I've honestly never finished a bottle of my own SB blend (when it ran low, I simply added more in the same proportions; and it tasted pretty much the same to me).

How many bottles deep are you into it at this point? I love the idea that there's always a little bit of every bottle left in the vatting.

Would that be a solera SB blend?

Best part of that is you can add dusties to the top and make 1 hell of a solera bend

That's a very cool experiment, Gary! Thanks for sharing the results. Larceny has a very interesting character in that it seems to straddle the wheat/rye profile. I've often thought would make for a great blending whiskey, but I just haven't gotten around to experimenting. Think I may have to try the Larceny/SB blend mix here in a few minutes!

How many bottles deep are you into it at this point? I love the idea that there's always a little bit of every bottle left in the vatting.

The SB Sour Mash...

If I had to guess, I've finished off a bit less than 2 750mLs worth (although my current bottle is damn near full). I emptied the last of my first W12 in this one (using a 40% W12 mix, two full bottles of the blend would have taken up 80% of one bottle - and I did enjoy some neat). I honestly wasn't looking as much to maintain consistency as I was to empty the contributing bottles to make room :lol:

No you've said it right, I just mean, the taste likely won't be exactly the same the next time (with different bottles), the mouthfeel as well. Thus, I'm suggesting no one should feel that say a 50-50 blend is fixed, it may take 52:48 next time. It's all down to the final judgment of the blender and taster. Everyone too would have a different tolerance for small differences in flavor.

Gary

Great point. Besides changes from batch to batch, our tastes evolve over time so the same ratio may not "do it" for me. Probably should make it a point to blind tasting different ratios every couple of years just to see what is hitting best at that moment (and maybe even just mixing 375 mL batches). As long as we're all having fun with it, we're doing it right :D

I just made a 50/50 batch. Going to let it sit for awhile before tasting. This is however the first time I have purchased Weller 12. By itself I prefer the OWA to W12. I have a feeling adding a little more OWA to the blend may fit my taste. I am going to enjoy this process.

I just made a 50/50 batch. Going to let it sit for awhile before tasting. This is however the first time I have purchased Weller 12. By itself I prefer the OWA to W12. I have a feeling adding a little more OWA to the blend may fit my taste. I am going to enjoy this process.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.