The SB Blend.... Best ratio of OWA & Weller 12???

Tico
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I went and done it again. :grin: I put my mad scientist hat on and came up with another SB Weller Blend. :bigeyes: I took a 750 of 09 WLW, added a 750 of Weller SR, and a 200 ml of SW Old Fitz Prime. I tried two or three different ratios before I said what the heck and just dumped them all together. I thought it turned out pretty good.

Gary (Vosgar) came over for a while last night. We sat outside on my back patio and shot the breeze and had a cigar. Of course, we enjoyed a few pours too. :rolleyes: We saved my Weller Blend till last. It met with his approval. :cool: If everything works out, I'll be bringing most of a handle of it to the KBF. :yum:

Cheers! Joe

If it is anything like this year's illustrious blend I'm sure I'll be a fan as will many others.

If everything works out, I'll be bringing most of a handle of it to the KBF. :yum:

Well, I went and done it again. :grin: I put my mad scientist hat on and came up with another SB Weller Blend. :bigeyes: I took a 750 of 09 WLW, added a 750 of Weller SR, and a 200 ml of SW Old Fitz Prime. I tried two or three different ratios before I said what the heck and just dumped them all together. I thought it turned out pretty good.

Gary (Vosgar) came over for a while last night. We sat outside on my back patio and shot the breeze and had a cigar. Of course, we enjoyed a few pours too. :rolleyes: We saved my Weller Blend till last. It met with his approval. :cool: If everything works out, I'll be bringing most of a handle of it to the KBF. :yum:

Cheers! Joe

Hi all,

I haven't posted much on this board but have been reading here for quite a while now and have learned alot! I noticed something last night that I had to post.

So, I did two SB blend variations a couple weeks ago that I haven't had time to go back to try after letting them settle. One was a blend of 1:1:0.5 of OWA:W12:FR1B that I enjoyed OK but I REALLY enjoyed the other blend of 3:1:0.5 of OWA:W12:FR1B. The thing that really surprised me though was how similar this blend tasted compared to a recent EHT single barrel that I have been enjoying. I went back and forth between this blend and the EHT all night. I can definitely detect some really minor differences in the finish but i was shocked at how much similar they are.

If any of you have these available to you on hand, I would love to hear your experiences as well.

BTW, I would like to add that I enjoy this bottle of OWA and W12 very much. I can just nose pours from this bottle of W12 all night.

If i haven't already greeted you then welcome aboard. I think the blending of some different house styles is a good idea.

If i haven't already greeted you then welcome aboard. I think the blending of some different house styles is a good idea.

Which EHT variation did it remind you of? Was the FRSB a retail version (ie - 100 proof, OBSV)? I've got those components, so may have to give that a try. I definitely prefer my blend heavier on the OWA, but haven't gone that high on the ratio yet!

I'm planning on creating a vatting I will call the "Stitzel-Weller Family Reunion". It would contain VSOF, W12 and JPS18. I will play with the recipe and let you know the results.

Which EHT variation did it remind you of? Was the FRSB a retail version (ie - 100 proof, OBSV)? I've got those components, so may have to give that a try. I definitely prefer my blend heavier on the OWA, but haven't gone that high on the ratio yet!

It is the EH Taylor Bottled in Bond single barrel. The FR1B is a retail regularly on the shelf bottle 50% alc/vol warehouse: ME barrel number: 79-1B.

• 4 weeks later...

Some time back I was near the bottom of a W12 and FRYL, after reading about the SB blend I was inspired and thought, what the hell I did a 1:1 of those two which gave me just enough for one decent pour. I liked this combo as it brought out a buttery characteristic that I associate with the 4R Smb. I found the W12 intensified the YL layers of flavor while combining nicely with the W12 character. Yes it was only 85pf. but I was impressed enough to get a couple more bottles and make a real batch, if the favorable impression repeats this will be a nice inexpensive and tasty pour.

Hate that I'm missing Batch II - the first batch in April was outstanding! Love the "SW Old Fitz Prime Added For Flavor" line - classic!

One thing I will say about Batch II, it do have a little bit more "Umpfffff" than the original batch. :grin:

I think it sounds great and I look forward to trying to this in about a month........there will be some left by then I hope?:grin:

Got a whole month to go... Gary's just gonna come drink it.

The plan is to break into Joe's house and swap out this great blend with my Cody Road. (gonna get rid of that crap one way or another)

Just poured a 60/40 OWA/12 that's only been marrying for a few days...but I just picked up an aspartame/fake sugar aftertaste compared to the 12 on its own that isn't very pleasant.

I will dutifully continue drinking in the name of research and science.

Just poured a 60/40 OWA/12 that's only been marrying for a few days...but I just picked up an aspartame/fake sugar aftertaste compared to the 12 on its own that isn't very pleasant.

I will dutifully continue drinking in the name of research and science.

Wow - that stinks. Goes to show how different all of our palates really are. Hope you find a mix that works better (or if not - enjoy each individually!)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.