A Book About Bourbon

TexasPride
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a few books on Whiskey. Nothing solely on Bourbon / American Whiskey- What would you recommend.

I am looking for history, ratings, process, any info I can get my hands on.

GRACIAS bowdown.gif

This has also been discussed, here's a page with posts about bourbon books. Everyone has different opinions about authors of different books and in there, you'll get much insight. All this info can be found using the search feature... Hope this helps! smile.gif

Thanks Paradox. Is there a way i can see the entire thread without having to click on each response individually.

BTW, I love this board.

Well, I view the board in threaded mode. Some people use flat mode, found under my home then edit for display preferences, that should work for what you want to do. Me though, i use threaded like you're in now. Then when on the page that loads for the link I gave you, I just right click and open the first post in a new window so the original window remains intact, then when I'm done reading the post I opened I close the window, go to the next post and just open that one in a new window. But play around with the settings, everyone has different preferences.

Glad you like the board, this is a lot of information to be had here. You can gain a wealth of knowledge my brownsing around and using the search feature... Have fun!

I second the notion about this board. The books fill in the history. This board, though, is indispendable for current info. So many knowledgeable insiders here. This board is the premier source for bourbon info other than talking to the distillers themselves. (And in some cases, the distillers are here.)

(And in some cases, the distillers are here.)

and when you talk to them face to face, most times the distillers won't tell.

TomC

Here is my list of bourbon books, with my reviews and links to Amazon for buying (although a lot of them are out of print). Of course, I also recommend (humbly) The Bourbon Country Reader, my newsletter for bourbon enthusiasts. The latest issue just went in the mail yesterday.

But, I agree, there is no substitute for StraightBourbon.com

>I have a few books on Whiskey. Nothing solely on Bourbon / American

>Whiskey- What would you recommend.

I'll second Chuck's recommendation of The Social Hisotry of Bourbon.

It's fairly entertaining, and has a lot of the history that you

won't get anywhere else.

Tim Dellinger

and when you talk to them face to face, most times the distillers won't tell.

When I was at the Sampler a few months back, it was enough to extend and have guys like Jimmy Russell , Booker , Jim Rutledge, etc accept a compliment for a job well done. Lets face it , it is more likely that any of us here will become a US Senator or Congressman/ Woman than we will ever be a Master Distiller, As for one all one would have to do is muster enough votes, the other you'd have to already be Heir Apparent. toast.gif

Bobby, do you know whether most or all of the current master distillers have been raised in the bourbon industry and if there are any master distillers that are relative outsiders?

I guess by "outsider" I mean someone who does not have family roots or ties to bourbon and just thru happenstance and hard work managed to eventually qualify as a master distiller. Does anybody fit that bill?

-Troy

About the only person I know of with no roots in the industry is Jerry Dalton, formerly of Barton and now of Jim Beam. He is a Ph.D. Chemist and that's how he got into it. I don't think Jimmy Russell's father was a distiller, but he worked in a distillery. Same with Chris Morris.

Chuck here is right on , I don't know how Ken Davis at Barton got in, he must have been working there and was in the right place at the right time . There are what, 9 companies operating 11 or so Distilleries, most having 2 Master distillers at one time, The older gentleman near or passed retirement age who is in it for tickles and grins( or just loves it that much) and the new guy on the block who is about 45 or so when he gets the position. It seems that a high education is first on the list for a requirement for this job now. Jimmy Russell says his son is working toward it but there's no guarantee he will get it. Brown Forman requires for anyone looking for a lofty job there , to have a degree in your pocket and plan to earn another after you start work ( Chris got himself 2 more). This obviously isn't a job for the unqualified candidate. Add to this the mystique of the secrets passed from father to son but not out to anyone else, It's a pretty exclusive club. toast.gif

• 3 months later...

I would avoid "The book of classic American whiskeys" and Jim Murray's "Complete Guide to Whiskey". Stick to "The Bourbon Companion" and "The Book of Bourbon" for your purposes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.