Larceny Bourbon By HH

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I will say that Larceny is the only wheat recipe Bourbon I'm interested in tasting. Not enough to spring for a bottle yet, maybe I can talk someone into pouring me one.

I will say that Larceny is the only wheat recipe Bourbon I'm interested in tasting. Not enough to spring for a bottle yet, maybe I can talk someone into pouring me one.

I paid full price, but got the shipping for nothing (after TPS case discount). You can come to Honolulu and I'll crack the bottle for a couple pours, Squire.:cool:

Just picked up a bottle today because of the $10 off. Will make it $17 for 750ml after I get it back. Really quite decent at that price-point, even if it is a one-time thing.

Just picked up a bottle today because of the $10 off. Will make it $17 for 750ml after I get it back. Really quite decent at that price-point, even if it is a one-time thing.

Ouch. Where are you, Dan? I just picked up my 1.75 at Binny's today for the same price (36.99 [sale price]-20 rebate).

I must say, after this, EWB, and EWSB, I really don't think HH is my cup of tea. Granted, my OWA's had quite a bit of air time by now, but I'd take a fifth of that before a handle of Larceny any day.

Brisko, some of what you ask is known or, at least, I can tell you what normal industry practice would be. Some is impossible to say.

How much is impossible to say.

I'm sure they were making wheated bourbon to the Stitzel-Weller recipe; same mash bill, same yeast, same distillation proof, same barrel entry proof. It could, therefore, have been used in any or all of the Stitzel-Weller brands; i.e., Old Fitzgerald, W. L. Weller, Cabin Still, Rebel Yell, and Old Rip Van Winkle. The historical context is that in the late 1970s and early 1980s, the bourbon glut was growing and distilleries were closing left and right. Some didn't close entirely but took very long holidays and had very short distilling seasons. Producers like Schenley, who owned multiple distilleries, tried to consolidate production as much as possible. What we now call Buffalo Trace was Schenley's largest and most modern distillery. If they only needed, say, a few hundred barrels of wheated bourbon in a given season, it might be more cost effective to run it at BT, rather than crank SW up for such a small batch.

When Schenley sold BT to Age International in 1987, Schenley probably contracted with them to continue to supplement SW's production. That same year, United Distillers (Guinness) bought Schenley and in 1992, opened a new distillery at Bernheim that was more modern than BT and easily able to run multiple recipes, so they probably no longer needed anything from BT.

All correct. No one has ever said that BT made wheated bourbon for any other purpose except as needed for SW until they acquired Weller in 1999. It was noted then by them that some of the whiskey they got in that deal was wheated bourbon made as DSP-113.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I didn't know until I read it that this years 12yo Lot B & the PVW 15yo contains Bernhiem juice. Not sure about the 2011 releases.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I didn't know until I read it that this years 12yo Lot B & the PVW 15yo contains Bernhiem juice. Not sure about the 2011 releases.

And just to stay on topic, call me a stubborn bastard but I still don't like Larceny. I don't hate, I just don't like it. I'm actually enjoying a current Old Fitz BIB over the Larceny.:shocked:

Fine. You're a stubborn bastard, but you know what? So am I. I still don't like Larceny either. I like the mouthfeel - it feels heavier than Old Fitz BIB - but I enjoy the taste of Old Fitz BIB much more. (And I like OWA better than the Fitz, but not by as wide a margin.)

There are a plethora of "The Bourbon who's name I no longer speak" threads that you can read that discuss this, including a great one in the off-topic forum. Please restrict questions to those.

And just to stay on topic, call me a stubborn bastard but I still don't like Larceny. I don't hate, I just don't like it. I'm actually enjoying a current Old Fitz BIB over the Larceny.:shocked:

Fine. You're a stubborn bastard, but you know what? So am I. I still don't like Larceny either. I like the mouthfeel - it feels heavier than Old Fitz BIB - but I enjoy the taste of Old Fitz BIB much more. (And I like OWA better than the Fitz, but not by as wide a margin.)

I demand that you two ship your bottles of Larceny to your favorite uncle(bunk), ASAP! Stubborn bastards!:grin:

Ouch. Where are you, Dan? I just picked up my 1.75 at Binny's today for the same price (36.99 [sale price]-20 rebate).

I must say, after this, EWB, and EWSB, I really don't think HH is my cup of tea. Granted, my OWA's had quite a bit of air time by now, but I'd take a fifth of that before a handle of Larceny any day.

This was just north of Boston. At another liquor store, they were selling it for $30 for a fifth. And a bar was serving it at $13 for a glass. It really just isn't close to that good.

I agree I'd take OWA over the Larceny. I just don't think it's so bad at $17.

I had my first pour of this tonight, from a sample I obtained. I like it a lot. Interesting nose (with maybe some cherry, and slight wood). The palate was full of lots of things that came in succession, and the mouthfeel was creamy and full. Finish wasn't all that long, but I'd buy this for the palate and mouthfeel alone.

But I cant. It's not available in Florida (so far, anyway). Wonder how much it would be if it was here.

Try a little mix of 2/3 Larceny and 1/3 Rittenhouse. It's purrty gooooooooood!!!

Will have to give that one a try. I've been drinking Larceny with a splash of Vintage 17 lately. It's very good!

I had my first pour of this tonight, from a sample I obtained. I like it a lot. Interesting nose (with maybe some cherry, and slight wood). The palate was full of lots of things that came in succession, and the mouthfeel was creamy and full. Finish wasn't all that long, but I'd buy this for the palate and mouthfeel alone.

But I cant. It's not available in Florida (so far, anyway). Wonder how much it would be if it was here.

I don't know how much prices in your area sync up with prices here, but it's $20 for 750ml here. No rebates.

Not here yet, this one intrigues me, perhaps a good one to pour for Scotch drinkers who might want to try something different.

• 1 month later...
This was just north of Boston. At another liquor store, they were selling it for $30 for a fifth. And a bar was serving it at $13 for a glass. It really just isn't close to that good.

I agree I'd take OWA over the Larceny. I just don't think it's so bad at $17.

I take back some of my former statement. While OWA still trumps it, Larcemy isn't bad with air. I wrote that first post after opening a new bottle with a friend. We finished that bottle and I felt that it was quite enjoyable at the end. Got a new bottle based on that experience and was disappointed. But after a couple of days, things are looking up and I'm quite pleased with it for the money. However, $13 a pour is offensive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.