Very Good Cigars for $5 or Less

fricky
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am always looking for very good cigars that cost no more than $5. Personally, I believe that CAO La Traviata Divino is a very good cigar regardless of its low price. I am reluctant to try a cigar if I am told that it is good but has the qualifier - at that price. I am seeking cigars that are very good at almost any price but cost no more than $5. If it is good only because it costs <$5, I probably would not want it.

What are your suggestions?

I can recommend a few as that's the price point I try to stay near.

Padron 2000

Arturo Fuente Sun Grown Chateau Fuente

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story (might be just over $5)

Brick House Robusto

Cifuentes Partagas. Under 5 bucks but smoke like 25 bucks.

Joe :usflag:

The one low price cigar I tell everybody about (now that they aren't as hard to get) is Consuerga. These are "seconds" from brands like Punch, Hoyo, El Rey Del Mundo. Most of the time it seems to have to do with an imperfection or discoloration on the wrapper (or so it would seem). In particular the #9 Maduro (Rothchild) used to sell out as fast as places got them in because they were such a great bargain. They are still a great deal at $34.95 for a 25 cigar bundle and if you like the cigars I listed above, then this is a screaming bargain because you are getting cigars that cost far more than $5 for almost half of that per stick.

My other go to sticks are Genuine Pre-Embargo Counterfeit Cuban Cigars and Mayorga Cigars. The GPCC are Ecuador Sumatra wrapped and quite tasty and a bit spicy and on the stronger side. The Mayorga, I stick with the Maduro and is a great cigar when I want a more rich earthy taste (coffee, earth leather), they are not as powerful as they once were, but definitely a smooth pleasurable cigar. Both of these cigars tend to get overlooked because of the price, and I think they probably would actually be more popular if they cost more... but I am not going to complain. I'll just keep smoking 'em and enjoying them without having to spend a fortune.

And finally, Bolivar Cofradia. These are powerhouse, full flavor smokes. I left them to last, because they range in price from just under your $5.00 mark to just slightly over (but less than $6.00). I love these cigars for when I want power and spice. They do smooth out a bit of you let them sit in your humidor for some time (I still have some from around '03 when they were still called Bolivar Fuerte, and those are now smooth and tastey as the power has subsided a tad over the past 9 years).

• 3 months later...

some fine recommendations. personally, i really like these cigars made by aj fernandez called aj fernandez fresh rolled. they come in 4-5 different sizes and they just are great little smokes for about 2$ a stick. tough to beat them at that price.

My buddy buys bundles of the Don Mateo from JR Cigars. They've got a few different sizes to choose from but nothing over 40 bucks for a bundle 20. I've smoked one before, not anything special, but doesn't taste like crap either. I thought it was a damn good cigar for how much you pay for it. I may pick up a bundle sooner or later. Check em out...

http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemlist/catid=124/DON-MATEO.html

I second Brickhouse and Sancho Panza for a good deal too.

I would also recommend the Gran Habano Vintage 2002. They come in 2 sizes. If you keep any eye, sometimes you can get them for 40 bucks a bundle. If you get these, let them sit out a bit, they come pretty wet. Let them dry out a lil bit and you're set. They smell and taste great.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-GAF&cat=3

• 1 month later...
Cifuentes Partagas. Under 5 bucks but smoke like 25 bucks.

Joe :usflag:

Good call Joe. Cigars International had these on sale last week, 20 for $49.95 (including a cheesy lighter), so I bought a box. Had one last night and it's an excellent smoke

Gary

• 2 months later...

If you are willing to buy a box of 20, you can get a box of La Flor de Las Antillas at cigarplace.biz for just pennies over $5 per stick (I think it's like $100.95 or something). It was the #1 cigar of the year in Cigar Aficionado (which is probably meaningless) but it's made by My Father Cigars which is an EXCELLENT company and the cigar is quite tasty. I treated myself to a box and I am enjoying the heck out of them (even though they are young...the box date is from less than 2 months ago). They will possibly be much better after resting for a year or so. I might save 5 or 10 for that purpose but it is difficult because I find myself reaching for them quite often :)

Another one I forgot to add is the Ramon Bueso "Genesis The Project" from Cigars International. I think they go for about 400 pennies per stick. I believe they have a connecticut broadleaf wrapper. Very tasty medium to full cigars. They are not super strong but they are very flavorful and worth at least grabbing a sampler.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, I smoked an excellent $3 cigar. I didn't expect much; however, it is very good. It is a La Gloria Cubana Rabito De Cochina. It is only available as a lancero. It has a pigtail cap and an uncut foot. It is medium strength with complex flavors from start to finish. It comes in a bundle of 3 in a coffin-type box. I got mine from Cigars International for about $10.

• 4 months later...

Party Shorts, RA small club corona, LGC EL Principe... All those should set you back between 4-5 a stick.. Oh and they are CC. :D

If you are willing to buy a box of 20, you can get a box of La Flor de Las Antillas at cigarplace.biz for just pennies over $5 per stick (I think it's like $100.95 or something). It was the #1 cigar of the year in Cigar Aficionado (which is probably meaningless) but it's made by My Father Cigars which is an EXCELLENT company and the cigar is quite tasty. I treated myself to a box and I am enjoying the heck out of them (even though they are young...the box date is from less than 2 months ago). They will possibly be much better after resting for a year or so. I might save 5 or 10 for that purpose but it is difficult because I find myself reaching for them quite often :)

I also like those Illusione Rothchildes as a great sub-$5 'MSRP' cigar. There are countless great cigars under that price if you buy in any sort of quantity online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I prefer a smaller cigar, so your results may vary.....

Everything I win off of CigarBid is $5 or less.

i enjoy all the Man of War stuff by AJ Fernandez that they have in many different

sizes and blends. And the Diesel line. Good full bodied stuff that stands up well to

the higher proofed bourbons.

In my eyes you can never beat a Padron for a budget stick. I also love Illusione Rothchildes though and Cult "Blood Moon Red."

• 8 months later...
The one low price cigar I tell everybody about (now that they aren't as hard to get) is Consuerga. These are "seconds" from brands like Punch, Hoyo, El Rey Del Mundo. Most of the time it seems to have to do with an imperfection or discoloration on the wrapper (or so it would seem). In particular the #9 Maduro (Rothchild) used to sell out as fast as places got them in because they were such a great bargain. They are still a great deal at $34.95 for a 25 cigar bundle and if you like the cigars I listed above, then this is a screaming bargain because you are getting cigars that cost far more than $5 for almost half of that per stick.

My other go to sticks are Genuine Pre-Embargo Counterfeit Cuban Cigars and Mayorga Cigars. The GPCC are Ecuador Sumatra wrapped and quite tasty and a bit spicy and on the stronger side. The Mayorga, I stick with the Maduro and is a great cigar when I want a more rich earthy taste (coffee, earth leather), they are not as powerful as they once were, but definitely a smooth pleasurable cigar. Both of these cigars tend to get overlooked because of the price, and I think they probably would actually be more popular if they cost more... but I am not going to complain. I'll just keep smoking 'em and enjoying them without having to spend a fortune.

And finally, Bolivar Cofradia. These are powerhouse, full flavor smokes. I left them to last, because they range in price from just under your $5.00 mark to just slightly over (but less than $6.00). I love these cigars for when I want power and spice. They do smooth out a bit of you let them sit in your humidor for some time (I still have some from around '03 when they were still called Bolivar Fuerte, and those are now smooth and tastey as the power has subsided a tad over the past 9 years).

Second the Consuegra. I like the Dominicans better than the Hondurans. Been keeping them as my "Go-to" smoke for several years now. Understand that these are not made with the intention of being cheap, they just either fail the final inspection or are an over-run.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.