No more Pappy on Ebay???

ThirstyinOhio
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm glad to see EBay finally taking a stand against people price gouging CURRENT production whiskies. My stance on all this- If it's still made and available on a shelf new, you shouldn't be able to sell it or buy it on EBay. If it is no longer a current production product (Say, about 1 year or so), then ok, it's a different story.

Well, there is NOTHING really available right now. I checked for WLW and GTS, PHC, JPS...nothing. I guess ebay changed their stance on "the contents of the bottle are inconsequential."

In my opinion, removing the option to sell on eBay drastically reduces the value of your bunker. If you say, bought a bottle of SAZ 18 for 70 bux, but the going rate on eBay was 300 you could technically sell for 210 and that's double-profit. Without eBay...it's only worth 70 bux or maybe 10 20 dollars higher to the desperate buyer.

With that said, I hope that the absence of VW on eBay means more VW availability at the store...however, I am not counting on it.

I just cant' see how this move is going to help at all with being able to find Pappy? Almost every store in Delaware has a 3-5 bottle allocation and most have waiting lists approaching 50 people some of the more popular stores have waiting lists of over 100.. So until the Pappy craze wanes, I really can't see any action other than increasing production (which can't happen without product) making a difference in availability.

It's one thing to attack me in a thread I started or posted in, but to state this in a thread I have not commented just shows what you are all about.

The Van Winkles have lead the attack on shutting down ebay sales of their products.

Thanks Wade. Been away from the forum for awhile. This is great news!

I don't understand how some feel this won't help the VW availability issue. Yes the demand greatly out paces supply, but you have just lowered demand. That isn't to say that demand isn't still crazy high, it certainly is. But, if non-drinker flippers are losing their most efficient flip agency, that will free up bottles for the bourbon drinking buyers. It may not matter to any one of us individually, but there will be some who get VW this year because of this.

There's a thread elsewhere with information on this.

Apparently, the Van Winkle Facebook page had a posting that they have asked eBay to remove sales of their products.

I'm aligned with those who think that with no easy secondary market, the flippers will be forced to leave more product on the shelves for others.

Even though there is only one store in my state that carries PVW I totaly agree with you on this Scott.

Do you not visit this site? The eBay chatter has been intense. And yes, you can blame Mr. Anal-Retentive Narc.

I don't think Wade had a thing to do with this. This is is something BT/PVW did on their own.

Agreed! That said, I have the suspicion that with the quantities of bottles some eBay sellers had, they themselves were probably liquor store owners/employees.

I agree a lot of them were.

I was well aware that the prices kept going up, but I was keeping my fingers crossed that either I'd be able to steal an auction at the last minute and get a bottle of 23 for under $450 shipped or that the prices would have came back down so I could buy after the next release.

[Not trying to be antagonistic]. I would think that if your post wasn't so odd, there are plenty of members on this forum (including me) who would be able to help you get any bottle including the PVW23 ... at cost. If a friend of mine were looking for a bottle, I'd give it to him/her at zero profit no questions asked. My recommendation would be to spend your time building trust with the various avenues available to you.

Yes, kill the e-bay option, encourage the producers of the BTEC, PVW, PHC etc to raise their prices, and we eventually WILL find these products on the shelves for a change. Unfortunately, if you're in a state with no, to limited distribution to start with, you're SOL for the time being. But, eventually it will come around.

Personally, the e-bay thing is of no concern to me whatsoever. My only contact with e-bay is buying a $5 discontinued "My Little Pony" for my daughter several years ago. :D However, the idea of the flipping of current products does get my goat. It always comes back to goats...:D

Agreed with previous posters that there is NO WAY this will curb demand or make PVW "easier to find". Even if the elimination of black market prices force overall prices down, that will simply increase demand from people who had been priced out of the market by eBay. You're still going to have to go through the same waitlist bologna. More people will get to find individual bottles, but the effort to get them will remain the same.

By the way, is there anything more heartbreaking than hearing the story of a person who's been trying to find a bottle of PVW for YEARS? It's like meeting a Cubs or Bills fan.

It's one thing to attack me in a thread I started or posted in, but to state this in a thread I have not commented just shows what you are all about.

The Van Winkles have lead the attack on shutting down ebay sales of their products.

Yikes. I did not mean to offend in the way it did, as it was mostly a half-drunk, snarky response to the OP. That said, sorry for the shot, as it was inappropriate.

FWIW, I hate the effects of flipping as well.

I don't think Wade had a thing to do with this. This is is something BT/PVW did on their own.

I tend to disagree slightly, as the timing of actual action came after all the heated discussion on this site. BT/PVW are reading all this.

Personally, the e-bay thing is of no concern to me whatsoever. My only contact with e-bay is buying a $5 discontinued "My Little Pony" for my daughter several years ago. :D However, the idea of the flipping of current products does get my goat. It always comes back to goats...:D

Don't even get me started on My Little Pony flippers. I'm sick of seeing current release ponies on ebay, driving up the price for those of us who aren't just speuclators but actually play with the ponies.

I tend to disagree slightly, as the timing of actual action came after all the heated discussion on this site. BT/PVW are reading all this.

Contrary to what others may think I like wade he has always been nice to me. I think I have always been nice to him. I just stated an opinion that might have been harsh. But I don't think BT/PVW and Ebay got together and said Wade in Houston TX is going to report us so we had better stop. I think this is something that BT/PVW is trying to do to make their customers happier and Ebay is going to comply because they have a cooperation putting pressure on them.

Contrary to what others may think I like wade he has always been nice to me. I think I have always been nice to him. I just stated an opinion that might have been harsh. But I don't think BT/PVW and Ebay got together and said Wade in Houston TX is going to report us so we had better stop. I think this is something that BT/PVW is trying to do to make their customers happier and Ebay is going to comply because they have a cooperation putting pressure on them.

If BT/PVW wants to make this customer happy, how about sending more of your product to Ohio!

Don't even get me started on My Little Pony flippers. I'm sick of seeing current release ponies on ebay, driving up the price for those of us who aren't just speuclators but actually play with the ponies.

:lol:

Well done! :bowdown: And, Webkinz are a whole 'nuther story.

:toast:

Yikes. I did not mean to offend in the way it did, as it was mostly a half-drunk, snarky response to the OP. That said, sorry for the shot, as it was inappropriate.

Appreciate the response; I've been guilty of some snarky responses before as well.

By the way, is there anything more heartbreaking than hearing the story of a person who's been trying to find a bottle of PVW for YEARS? It's like meeting a Cubs or Bills fan.

Unfortunately, if you're in a state with no, to limited distribution to start with, you're SOL for the time being. But, eventually it will come around.

Agreed with previous posters that there is NO WAY this will curb demand or make PVW "easier to find". Even if the elimination of black market prices force overall prices down, that will simply increase demand from people who had been priced out of the market by eBay. You're still going to have to go through the same waitlist bologna. More people will get to find individual bottles, but the effort to get them will remain the same.
Edited by Trey Manthey

[Not trying to be antagonistic]. I would think that if your post wasn't so odd, there are plenty of members on this forum (including me) who would be able to help you get any bottle including the PVW23 ... at cost. If a friend of mine were looking for a bottle, I'd give it to him/her at zero profit no questions asked. My recommendation would be to spend your time building trust with the various avenues available to you.

Bullshit. :horseshit: I live in such a state. I won't see any....EVER.

Joe :usflag:

While I agree that the bourbon selection is poor in PA and the distribution system less than ideal for the more everyday bourbons, I was able to get a few pappy 20's by ordering it through their website and picking it up at the store last fall. This process, IMHO, is much easier than going to 20 different shops to put your name on lists that may get one a bottle 3 months down the road. Though maybe I just got lucky last year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.