James E. Pepper rye?

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The 15 year has showed up in stores. Anyone sampled this yet or know the source? It's too spendy for me to take a chance on without knowing what it is, about $150.

• 1 month later...

I passed on 6 bottles of the 15 yr Pepper Rye priced at $169/bottle. This was the first time I have seen it in Lexington and they said it just came in this week. Has anyone tried this? The bottle says distilled in Indiana (LDI, I assume), but at that price, I would like to try it first.

How to pickles hold up after being canned for 15 yrs?

Maybe Hardees could use it as an alternate for the Bourbon Burger.

I had a taste of the 15 recently, it was at a bourbon bar in Newport, KY which John Lipman took me to (John writes up a historical American whiskey website well-known to some here). It was very good, with a distinct peppermint note.

About Tom's comment that many small barrels have a "green wood note", I would agree with this. Not sure why this is, it shows as a "pine sap" taste to my mind.

Gary

I've read old accounts where sap in just one green stave can have detrimental effects on the entire barrel, sort of the one rotten apple principle.

Well, I don't much like the taste, but I've never been sure if that is the state of any young whiskey, i.e., at a few months to a year or so. Does whiskey conventionally aged taste like that at that age? I don't know.

Gary

Based on the High West 12 they hold up pretty good after 12 years.

Well. Maybe I can find a sample of the Pepper somewhere around town.

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping up an old thread because Pepper 1776 Rye just showed up in my town. The label says 100 proof, non chill filtered, distilled in Indiana, at least 2 years old. For just under $30, I was willing to take a chance. This shouldn't be a big surprise, it tastes very similar to the other LDI sourced ryes: Bulleit, Dickel Rye, Willett Rye, and others ... If you like LDI rye, and find it at a good price, then go for it. If you don't like LDI rye, stay away.

I had the 1776 at a bar this summer and thought it was really harsh and too young (young, young LDI). I would not recommend it at all.

I'm curious about the 15yr rye. I saw it on the shelves of some stores when I was travelling for 150$. Does anyone know the source of the whiskey? I'm guessing LDI (with the over 90% rye comment on their website, which I think is a tad dubious), but it could be Canadian or even from somewhere else.

My understanding is that if it is distilled in another state than where it is bottled, they have to put that on the label. Since it's bottled in Bardstown KY, they have to include distilled in IN on the label. So, the 15 year old label should give some clue. Either it was distilled and bottled in the same state, or list the two different states.

My understanding is that if it is distilled in another state than where it is bottled, they have to put that on the label. Since it's bottled in Bardstown KY, they have to include distilled in IN on the label. So, the 15 year old label should give some clue. Either it was distilled and bottled in the same state, or list the two different states.

Yeah, well aware of that. I haven't had a good chance to closely check out the label on the 15 year. A few websites say Indiana, so I presume LDI. Saw it priced at $150 and initially thought that was high. Seems ridiculous now knowing that its LDI (especially with LDI Jeff 10 Rye being around $30).

Your understanding of the law is correct. TTB understanding and application of said law is hit or miss, mostly miss.

• 2 years later...

I don't know if it's best to revive this old thread or start a new one, but I saw that there will be a 1776 Barrel Strength Rye available in Michigan. I couldn't find any threads with comments on that. Has anyone come across that product yet? I think 1776 Rye is pretty decent and Michigan min pricing is around $35 or so for the Barrel Strength.

1776 Barrel Strength has been available in NJ for some time now. I think it is like $30-$35, so certainly not terribly priced or anything. But I am well stocked with good ryes, such that I have not picked this up despite the low cost of entry. It is NAS, so I just don't need to run out and buy more NAS ryes just because they are CS. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really liked the 1776 Rye I had, which wasn't barrel strength.  Sure, it was young MGP/LDI rye, but I've found that while I don't care much for bourbon that young, rye that age isn't as unappealing.  If it is in the low-mid $30s, I'm definitely interested to pick one up.  

If it's NAS, then it's at least 4 years old.  That makes it older than the last time I checked the label of JEP Rye.  I'd probably give it a try.

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

If it's NAS, then it's at least 4 years old.  That makes it older than the last time I checked the label of JEP Rye.  I'd probably give it a try.

Great point, which seemed too good to be true!  Unfortunately "Aged Over 2 Yrs" like the standard JEP Rye.  Their site also describes it as exactly the same whiskey - just barrel proof.  But I'll still grab one since I did enjoy the 2yr.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15184001000132

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.