Rye Prices

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday at Binny's, I was surprised by the prices on ryes. Although they have a big stack of Rittenhouse BIB at $22.99, both Knob Creek and Bulleit were over $30 a bottle. I also noticed that Templeton has dropped its price. Binny's has Bulleit and Templeton (which are both LDI) side-by-side, with Templeton at $39 and Bulleit at $34.

Old Overholt, on the bottom shelf, still $14.99.

Off the top of my head, the lowest prices I can find in the Twin Cities (assuming products are in stock) for those are Rittenhouse for $20, Bulleit for $23 (although I can get it for under $20 on sale sometimes), Knob Creek for $36. Overholt can be found for $9.99 around town. One you didn't mention was Baby Saz which runs in the $25-30 range when it's available.

You can pay more, of course.

I had Bulleit fixed in my head about about $25, so seeing for $34 was a shock. I guess now that Binny's has no competition, they have no need to be the price leader. Their deal price on Knob Bourbon is $29.99.

Was happy to get a Binny's selection of Buffalo Trace for $24.99. At least we can still count on Heaven Hill and Sazerac to give us bargains.

Nearly every store I frequent has Bulleit rye priced identically to the bourbon. Both can be had on sale for under $20 on occasion.

Speaking of rye prices, Temleton just showed up here. Cheapest I saw was $41.99. I passed.

Firstly, I have been very surprised by the extensive distribution of Bulleit Rye. It's everywhere, in seemingly, every state I visit.

Secondly, as Brisko stated, I always see the Rye pricing on par with the Bulleit Bourbon.

Thirdly, pricing seems to consistently be in the slightly-North-of-$25 range.

Fourthly, I really like this whiskey

Fifthly, I would buy the crap out of it if I saw it at South-of-$20...

Firstly and lastly, why would the strength of Diageo's distribution power surprise you? They're only the largest spirits producer in the world. They saw what was happening with the Rye explosion, even though some commentators were denying it, and they took advantage.

And in my state, Bulleit Bourbon and Rye are line priced slightly under $25.

I am not suprised that the LDI ryes are not higher. With as haig a rye mashbill as they have. Rye grain is more expensive than corn and does not yeld nearly as much. About a gallon and a half per bushel less.

I have never seen Bulleit rye for less than $34.99, nor have I seen Bulleit bourbon for less than $29.99, and I shop almost exclusively at Binny's as I find their prices to be better 90% of the time in the city (some products can be found for cheaper in the burbs). Templeton has always hovered in the $35-$40 range at Binny's, so I don't see that the price has gone down.

I'll pay $35 for baby Saz every now and then, but other than the Willet ryes, that's the only rye I'll pay more than $25 for (ok, and not including VWFRR). I'm quite unlikely to spend another $50 on McKenzie rye. I'll spend $80 for Saz18, and one of these days I'll pick up another Rendezvous Rye for $55.

Firstly and lastly, why would the strength of Diageo's distribution power surprise you? They're only the largest spirits producer in the world. They saw what was happening with the Rye explosion, even though some commentators were denying it, and they took advantage.

And in my state, Bulleit Bourbon and Rye are line priced slightly under $25.

Diawho? ;) I see your point, Dog. What I guess I was getting at, is that I see the Bulleit Rye on the shelves more than any other rye. And, before the rye came out, Bulleit Bourbon was hit or miss. Now, it seems to have gained shelf space because of the rye placement. I would have expected it to be the other way around. I can't remember the last store I was in where both products weren't on the shelf. Prior to the rye release, it was 50:50 that the bourbon would be on the shelf.

I would guess pricing of all ryes would be cheaper for Wisconsinites because of competition due to the large amount of rye/Canadian consumed there.

I here ya, Joe. I now see them together everywhere.

Bulleit Bourbon was just another Bourbon when it came out, but the Rye really filled a need. Ritt availability is spotty, Baby Saz is rare, and Turkey ruined their Rye. (And Beam's Ryes are about as good as their Bourbon.:lol:) When Bulleit Rye comes out, bars had something from a major producer that they could stock and keep around, and retailers needed the price point. I'm guessing that got more placements for the Bourbon.

And Wisconsin is a very frugal state. In fact, I've seen both Bulleits on sale for $19.99 from time to time.

• 4 weeks later...
Yesterday at Binny's, I was surprised by the prices on ryes. Although they have a big stack of Rittenhouse BIB at $22.99, both Knob Creek and Bulleit were over $30 a bottle. I also noticed that Templeton has dropped its price. Binny's has Bulleit and Templeton (which are both LDI) side-by-side, with Templeton at $39 and Bulleit at $34....
Edited by Shell
correction

That's why there's a lot of variation from state to state, but typically a state won't be high on some products and low on others. If prices tend to be high, they tend to be high across the board and vice-versa. That's why it's always important to say where you saw a particular price. I usually quote Illinois prices, which tend to be on the low side, or Kentucky prices which also tend to be on the low side. Control states such as Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania can be counted on to be high.

They're usually higher than KY, IN or IL here, but not THAT high. Oddly enough, when the KCR first hit the shelves it was $5 cheaper than it is now.

Actually Chuck comparing Binny's prices with Michigan's State minimum prices show them to be pretty close, some higher some lower.

Prices are definitely higher here than Kentucky. The big advantage Illinois and Kentucky has over Michigan is in selection. We have it pretty good, but not like you guys. Also, none of our stuff can go on sale, below State minimum price. And we have no Binny's card!!

Today in the Twin Cities saw baby SAZ at $27.99 and & $29.99. Templeton @ $41.99 at 2 different places.

Paul

I thought this was a good of place as any to stick this: New stuff on the Michigan list

Ritt BiB 100 - $21.96 (well we are finally getting this but given the shortages, we will see how much actually makes it into State)

GD Rye - $22.99

Plus these others

Bulleit 10yr - $49.96 (10 yr old @ 92 proof seems just a tad! high)

Ardbeg Galileo - $99.99 (apparently $100 for Ardbeg's specialty bottles in the new norm. Still find Alligator at a number of stores)

Josh usually takes care of this - must be slackin' :grin:

Ritt. used to be special order in Ohio then they took it off thhe list. One of the local stores ordered in a couple of cases and I bought what was left when they closed it out!

Thomas

I thought this was a good of place as any to stick this: New stuff on the Michigan list

Ritt BiB 100 - $21.96 (well we are finally getting this but given the shortages, we will see how much actually makes it into State)

GD Rye - $22.99 ... [/quote

Good catch. Rittenhouse 100 proof just showed up a "new product" in the MI supplemental list of 10/28/2012. Hopefully, it will show up in the retail stores shortly.

The $21.96 is the state minimum price, the price most retailers have been pricing their spirits to be competitive. One in a while, a very sought after item that is in short supply will be priced at a premium. Let's hope Rittenhouse 100 proof won't be one of those.

Shell

Just picked up my very first bottle of baby Saz at $31.99. Little more than I would have liked to have paid but having a shop a block from the office that keeps it in stock made me finally pull the trigger. Hope to do a nice side by side with the 18 year in the next few weeks.

Just picked up my very first bottle of baby Saz at $31.99. Little more than I would have liked to have paid but having a shop a block from the office that keeps it in stock made me finally pull the trigger. Hope to do a nice side by side with the 18 year in the next few weeks.

That's just a little steap :shocked:

That's just a little steap :shocked:

Yeah, I know you're right especially since I only paid $59.99 for the 18 year but sometimes convenience trumps saving a few dollars. Hopefully I'll think that it was worth it when the bottle's gone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.