Rye Prices

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've seen it as high as $40 here :/

It's $27 in Montgomery County, MD. That's not bad, but the best purchase I've ever made regarding BT rye is the white dog rye mash at $15. It's drinkable, mixable, whatever... The good part was being able to taste it and realizing the THH and Baby Saz simply are slightly older versions of white dog. The initial distillate is so recognizable in those whiskeys that I feel ripped off even drinking them, considering what they cost.

It's $27 in Montgomery County, MD. That's not bad, but the best purchase I've ever made regarding BT rye is the white dog rye mash at $15. It's drinkable, mixable, whatever... The good part was being able to taste it and realizing the THH and Baby Saz simply are slightly older versions of white dog. The initial distillate is so recognizable in those whiskeys that I feel ripped off even drinking them, considering what they cost.

If so, I would find that very interesting, as I am a huge fan of both the THH and Baby Saz. And, I've never tried the wheat BT white dog. If there really is such a definitive linkage, I certainly want to try it. Unfortunately, I've not been able to discern much linkage between any white dog that the pAlthough, it doesn't matter, did you mean to say that you tasted white dog wheat mash? And, that since tasting that, you think THH and Baby Saz are simply slightly older versions of it? Or, did you mean to say rye? Regardless, it sounds like you are inferring that that these two whiskies are just slightly "better" than a white dog, due to presumably a "short" span of 6ish years in oak?

roducers put out, and the final aged whiskies that presumably come from them. I'm wondering if anyone else been able to connect the BT wheat white dog with Handy with such definiteness?

Edited by smokinjoe

If so, I would find that very interesting, as I am a huge fan of both the THH and Baby Saz. And, I've never tried the wheat BT white dog. If there really is such a definitive linkage, I certainly want to try it. Unfortunately, I've not been able to discern much linkage between any white dog that the pAlthough, it doesn't matter, did you mean to say that you tasted white dog wheat mash? And, that since tasting that, you think THH and Baby Saz are simply slightly older versions of it? Or, did you mean to say rye? Regardless, it sounds like you are inferring that that these two whiskies are just slightly "better" than a white dog, due to presumably a "short" span of 6ish years in oak?

roducers put out, and the final aged whiskies that presumably come from them. I'm wondering if anyone else been able to connect the BT wheat white dog with Handy with such definiteness?

Please disregard this inane post of mine above. :rolleyes: Absolute brain crash...

Must be a delayed hangover from last nights festivities...;)

I new something didn't make sense, I just didn't realize it was me...

Hidden

Celebrating Sandy's arrival with a nice pour of Saz 18 and vintage 21 rye...might get really wild and open my bottle of Ritt 25

Please disregard this inane post of mine above. :rolleyes: Absolute brain crash...

Must be a delayed hangover from last nights festivities...;)

I new something didn't make sense, I just didn't realize it was me...

Weird, I was nodding along and ready to address your questions :)

I should say that I like THH a lot. I think what is added by the (ever-so-brief) 6 years in wood is a bit of softening of the raisiny, plummy notes in the new make, and most importantly, a resiny wood component that works like bitters or a wormwood infusion. That, obviously, isn't in the white dog, and gives it a real backbone, like a fully-made cocktail in a bottle. I still feel ripped off when I drink THH, but I'll probably buy it again. I don't want to come across as being too negative.

I just bought a couple of Baby Saz at $24/ea plus tax. That's the best price I have seen on it.

That's probably about as good as you're going to see. Not sure what Binny's gets for it as they don't have it on their web site. It wasn't that long ago that Rittenhouse BIB was $12 a bottle, but it still looks like a bargain at $22.99 when Wild Turkey 81 proof rye is $24.99, Bulleit Rye is $34.99, and Knob Creek Rye is $36.99. Meanwhile, it's pretty hard to beat Old Overholt at $14.99. Beam is apparently trying to get some separation between its two popular-price ryes, pricing Jim Beam Rye at $19.99. Ri1 is still on Binny's list, at $39.99.

We're so lucky, we can buy Beam rye at four different price points, from $14.99 to $39.99.

I picked up a Baby Saz at my local haunt for $25, on sale. Last one on the shelf, although I see it elsewhere in stock for closer to $30. Fortunately the local guys keep Rittenhouse in stock and priced nicely. Probably a good thing it's not $12 anymore, or I'd go through it even faster than I already do.

I discovered 3 bottles of WT 101 Rye for $20.99 this evening.

I nice find when I wasn't even hunting.

I trust at least one made its way home with you?

Good one, Will. A nice find, indeed! My little hole-in-the-wall store just sold their last bottle, so somebody found my little stash. Still, I'm happy to have the two bottles I've got and will continue to keep an eye out for the WT101.

That's probably about as good as you're going to see. Not sure what Binny's gets for it as they don't have it on their web site. It wasn't that long ago that Rittenhouse BIB was $12 a bottle, but it still looks like a bargain at $22.99 when Wild Turkey 81 proof rye is $24.99, Bulleit Rye is $34.99, and Knob Creek Rye is $36.99. Meanwhile, it's pretty hard to beat Old Overholt at $14.99. Beam is apparently trying to get some separation between its two popular-price ryes, pricing Jim Beam Rye at $19.99. Ri1 is still on Binny's list, at $39.99.

We're so lucky, we can buy Beam rye at four different price points, from $14.99 to $39.99.

So true. I do wish the Bulleit and Knob were priced closer to $30 (or slightly less) which would make them more appealing to me. At $35+ my eye starts wandering elsewhere and often lands on Rittenhouse.

I'll be very interested to see what fans of the LDI ryes think of George Dickel Rye when it hits the market.

I'll be very interested to see what fans of the LDI ryes think of George Dickel Rye when it hits the market.

I'm not, a fan, and that's why I'm looking forward to it. Intrigued by that citrus note that has been documented :grin:.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.